"Proximity" by Tokyo Dawn Labs & Vladg Sound

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Answered like a boss...thanks Fabien! :D

i love this plug, thanks so much

Windows version updated to v1.01, it includes minor performance fixes. You can expect an updated Mac version soon too!

:)
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

FabienTDR wrote:Windows version updated to v1.01, it includes minor performance fixes. You can expect an updated Mac version soon too!

:)
"Proximity" plugin was updated to version 1.0.1 (both Windows and Mac versions)

- denormalization bugs were fixed to solve occasional high CPU usage problems;
- GUI#2 editable label color was fixed in Mac version.

PS. I want to prepare one more video about this plugin in a few days!
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

about the presets (I think that this is the right thread!) they show on Logic, but don't show on Ableton. I'm running 1.0.1.

A new and inspiring video focussing PROXIMITY's different distance models is now available:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l8HWKB7ghg

Proximity won my 4pts!
I like the precision and originality of the plugin, but guys, some people will hang themselves by reading the manual! I'm afraid it is far too complicated to win such popular contest. Doesn't mean it is bad (I noted 4!) but really difficult to get rid of the presets and tune in a useful way.
I think I need to dig into it further.
However Congratulations!

Thank you remi77!

good points regarding the complexity. Have you watched the latest video (2 posts above)? It explains all models in detail.

You can be sure we'll extend and improve PROXIMITY in the future, not just regarding new features, but also usability/preset wise. An idea was to add tooltips to all models with detailed infos. But we're not allowed change or add new features during the contest.

Any idea how we could improve the situation further?

The Klanghelm compressor DC8C has a decent "easy" GUI mode. That's probably a good thing to try and do for this plugin.

If possible, interior, urban, forest and open field buttons just for the easy mode could be made, just like Klanghelm has four modes that expose only a few controls.

As for improvements, you can take cues from what people do with plugins that represent subsets of this plugin, such as the Waves Doppler. Inspired by that you could add an envelope module for the distance slider. You'd need curved envelopes, have it loopable, triggerable by midi and/or switch automation, and of course an on/off switch for the entire envelope module, automatable.

I'm looking at this from a post production mixer's perspective, where dramatic necessity always trumps realism.

You could expand the reflections module to include reproductions of early reflections from more real spaces, such as hard rooms, orchestral halls, the mentioned urban, nature and open field areas and long narrow hallways. It's all a compromise of course, as the goal here is not realism, it's efficiency in enabling creative use.
Will mix for fun

Wonderful plugin. I used three instances of it on my entry for the Music Cafe's November contest. It was just what I needed to push some upfront sounds into the background. It won both my vote and a permanent spot in my VST arsenal.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

JJBiener wrote:Wonderful plugin. I used three instances of it on my entry for the Music Cafe's November contest. It was just what I needed to push some upfront sounds into the background. It won both my vote and a permanent spot in my VST arsenal.
Yeah! That's cool!

We have final video about Proximity. This video shows how to use this plugin in electronic music. Watch in HD for better sound quality!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTOQrwqLChY
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

got my 5 points! although i'm still learning how to squeeze the full power out of this :hihi:

Thank you for a fantastic plugin!

I've been using Proximity for only a short time, but I just know it's going to come in very handy for post production work.

I always feel guilty asking for more features from a free plugin, but here goes anyway... :wink:

I would love to have a kind of tuned "chaos" modulation option that let me add some subtle natural, organic movement to a recording, completely automatically. This would be a way to make dialog recorded in a booth sound less sterile and static. I have been looking for something like this for years and Proximity has everything else except the random modulation. Unfortunately, Square/Sawtooth/Sine/Triangle sound too predictable for this purpose.

When using automation in a DAW, it is difficult to achieve realistic doppler effects with Proximity because the main control (DistGain) controls gain, not relative distance. I understand why this is the case, but for 99% of the time I'm going to be more interested in controlling the relative distance, not the gain. As things stand, if I automate a linear ramp-up in my DAW to try to simulate a sound moving steadily towards the listener, what I actually get is the sound of something rapidly decelerating towards the listener. Yes, I know why, but it doesn't mean I have to like it!

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Thanks for this great plugin and congrats on your awards.

I think a really useful addition to this would be a 'power panner' where one could adjust stereo width and pan. This would certainly help moving samples around the virtual space.

Regards,

Justin

This is something that I so badly needed so I could use one plugin for what I needed three or four before. Usually some kind of a Reverb [for ER]-Delay-EQ-Comp-Filter combo. This is ingenious and should be a part of every channel strip. ;)

There's only one little thing that I think it misses, and would really find useful. You will probably guess what: sync modulation to DAW. :D It would be really useful because you could have in sync all kind of effects that modulation can so graciously provide you with. Modulation rules! :lol:

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”