Soundcloud for dummies?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Seriously, I have no idea what the hell I want.

My needs? To be able to upload sound files and a couple of songs in WAV. I already have Box for mp3's. I have no clue looking at the details what any of that stuff means.

BTW, I have 0.004% interest in mobile anything. So, if that factors in, ditch it.....I don't care.

EDIT: I still don't have an account :lol: Seems to work well for many many many people though.
Last edited by hibidy on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

You can upload wav files to SC.

Yeah, but is there some kinda "secret code" to understanding all the options?? :lol:

Ok 120 minutes seem kinda restrained, but what are the reasons you do/don't pay for the "extra" options.

Aside from getting more 'time', there is data/traffic feedback, like who viewed/listened to your page/tunes. Like where they are located on the world's great sound-stage of "fans", etc. I don't remember if there are 'promotional' benefits, or anything. I like it better than 'myspace'.

120 minutes, is a lot of 3-5 minute tracks, to me... so I went cheap.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

I LOVE cheap! :lol: My only real need for this is a way to upload "live" stuff for people to listen to. I don't have 6 million really great "songs" for people to listen to.

Starting to look like the freebird is the deal to start! :)

Sounds exactly like me. I'm a man of many riffs but no "songs", so I just use the free version to throw some crap on there.

I'm looking at SoundCloud subsriptions as well. I posted a longer Iris sound expansion demo I think it was 20 minutes or so . Plus have been posting other demo stuff, and after a month or so I've already filled the free 120 minute allowence on the free account.

On Box I have 5 GB of free data storage. So SoundCloud is a very expensive option if you need lots of space.

I think they should offer a real bump up in capacity.

I'm considering a couple of strategies.

Longer files on Box. Short snips that will live on a solo account.

I think SoundCloud has become a standard for Audio Playback of smaller developers and musicians, but economically it's very hard to swallow. I'd gladly pay the 100 bucks for say 3 GB's of space but that only gets you a Solo account here, with a very small amount capacity..

I can understand the price if you have a 500 minutes of audio up that gets played 1000+ times it's reasonable. But in my world your probably looking at about 100 max per year overall.

No there's something wrong with the pricing model for my own situation at present.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

I don't know if I'm being lazy or stupid, but I can't find out if you have a SC account (of any kind) and you delete a track, do you get that "time" back?

Say I've used 100-minutes of my 120-minutes total (free account), so I delete 40-minutes worth of the material posted, do I now have 40 'new' minutes worth of time, for a 'new' total of 60 available minutes? :?
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote:I don't know if I'm being lazy or stupid, but I can't find out if you have a SC account (of any kind) and you delete a track, do you get that "time" back?

Say I've used 100-minutes of my 120-minutes total (free account), so I delete 40-minutes worth of the material posted, do I now have 40 'new' minutes worth of time, for a 'new' total of 60 available minutes? :?

That's my understanding about how it works. But I haven't deleted anything yet so I can't say for sure.

I feel that once I've posted something I don't like to take it down again, a net full of missing examples seems like a amputated place..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

If you delete a track, you get those minutes back.

With a free account, you can't replace tracks. you have to delete them and upload again. A paid account lets you replace tracks (so you can preserve the comments, stats, etc.)

seismic1 wrote:If you delete a track, you get those minutes back.

With a free account, you can't replace tracks. you have to delete them and upload again. A paid account lets you replace tracks (so you can preserve the comments, stats, etc.)
Interesting, thank you for the details. 8)

heffus wrote:Sounds exactly like me. I'm a man of many riffs but no "songs", so I just use the free version to throw some crap on there.
Does it work pretty good? Is it spammy? I can't tell if Box is the reason I get added spam or not. I guess it doesn't matter because I want to use the ableton "soundcloud" option :hyper: :hihi:

TwoToneshuzz wrote:I'm looking at SoundCloud subsriptions as well. I posted a longer Iris sound expansion demo I think it was 20 minutes or so . Plus have been posting other demo stuff, and after a month or so I've already filled the free 120 minute allowence on the free account.

On Box I have 5 GB of free data storage. So SoundCloud is a very expensive option if you need lots of space.

I think they should offer a real bump up in capacity.

I'm considering a couple of strategies.

Longer files on Box. Short snips that will live on a solo account.

I think SoundCloud has become a standard for Audio Playback of smaller developers and musicians, but economically it's very hard to swallow. I'd gladly pay the 100 bucks for say 3 GB's of space but that only gets you a Solo account here, with a very small amount capacity..

I can understand the price if you have a 500 minutes of audio up that gets played 1000+ times it's reasonable. But in my world your probably looking at about 100 max per year overall.

No there's something wrong with the pricing model for my own situation at present.
That's what I thought. I'm not really a "cheap" guy, but pricing model seems strange to say the least. I admit, I don't really get it but yes, soundcloud is the standard it seems.

seismic1 wrote:If you delete a track, you get those minutes back.

Good to know, You guys THANK you!

ya know....You could always import audio into windows movie maker add an image, export it as a video and upload it to youtube.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”