Robot-o-Rock (somekind of techno)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's somekind of techno or something:

http://www.krakulandia.info/Music/mmc/k ... o-Rock.mp3

All feedback on the song and production is welcome.

Gear used:

Oakley 5U modular analog synth
Eurorack modular analog synth
Millennia HV-3C
SM7B
Distressor EL8-X
API 2500

Logic Pro 9
Battery 3
EchoBoy
Elephant
CSR
Last edited by Kraku on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

136 views and 0 replies. This must be a record of some kind...

Quite enjoyable. I really liked the drums :) They had a nice crisp '80s sound. Reminded me of a Linn LM-1. Nice mix.

Good work :)

Thanks!

The drums were Battery run through API 2500. That's where the tightness came from. :)

You've got the cool sounds and the cool equipment but the track does get a bit monotonous. The drums and bass are good but I think it's missing a melody or at least some other melodic sequence (perhaps an arpeggiator) that varies a bit throughout. I would also like the bass to be a little less buzzy but that may just be my middle aged ears getting fatigued.

Yep, the missing melody gets mentioned often with this track. Maybe I should try to come up with an updated version of this track which has a lead melody or a vocal part in it :) The reason such a thing is missing because I ran out of creativity while working on this one and thought that no-one would notice, but it turns out many people did.

Kraku wrote:The reason such a thing is missing because I ran out of creativity while working on this one and thought that no-one would notice, but it turns out many people did.
Understandable given the energy you put into sound design on your modulars. Next time I suggest writing the entire track with very basic sounds. Once that's done, then start patching up the modulars.

Loving the sounds and the beats.
DAW drums are sent to the API, you say, I'm interested in how else you have things hooked up.

FrantzM wrote:
Kraku wrote:The reason such a thing is missing because I ran out of creativity while working on this one and thought that no-one would notice, but it turns out many people did.
Understandable given the energy you put into sound design on your modulars. Next time I suggest writing the entire track with very basic sounds. Once that's done, then start patching up the modulars.
That's how I usually work, but just not this time (a mistake from my part). Usually I first try to come up with the hook of the song and then build everything else around it. Then I create the basic structure and arrangement and then tweak the sound.

fateamenabletochange wrote:Loving the sounds and the beats.
DAW drums are sent to the API, you say, I'm interested in how else you have things hooked up.
The drum bus was sent to API and back into DAW.
Bass submix was sent to Distressor and back into DAW.
My mic preamp was sent directly into the DAW.
Modulars were sent directly into DAW.

I can certainly see what people say about the lack of melody, but I rather like it as it is. Well, maybe not exactly. Have you considered going about 10bpm faster? I'm really not sure it would work, but for me I think that alone would remove any doubts I may otherwise have about the lack of melody. My body moves faster than the beat. My body knows all.
hijacking your fiction
allthisismeaningless.com

Going faster would mean resampling all the audio tracks, since I recorded them with the current BPM. So that would mean recreating every sound in the song from scratch.

Kraku wrote:Going faster would mean resampling all the audio tracks, since I recorded them with the current BPM. So that would mean recreating every sound in the song from scratch.
The final mix could be time stretched in a DAW. For example, Samplitude supports time stretching while keeping the pitch constant. However, this could introduce some unwanted artifacts in the audio.

You could also leave it as is and then write a new song called "The Missing Melody." :)

I like it as is. Actually, I like these repetitive tracks with no melody (like mine, lol!)

The drums are punchy and the synths are dirty, just as it should be!

You could go wilder with the synths, though. I can't explain, but I think this video can be somewhat inspirational:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI

It shows some interesting techniques to bring some spice to simple synth lines.

FrantzM wrote:The final mix could be time stretched in a DAW. For example, Samplitude supports time stretching while keeping the pitch constant. However, this could introduce some unwanted artifacts in the audio.

You could also leave it as is and then write a new song called "The Missing Melody." :)
This is my experience. The artefacts creep in very easily, so I think I'll opt to writing the new song with the title you gave me :lol:

Return to “Music Cafe”