A wavetable oscillator tutorial

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First, I don't make money off this—there are no ads on my site, no products. I write because when I was figuring this stuff out, there was no internet, and the text books were tough to read and didn't tell me what I wanted to know...

I'm well into a multi-part article explaining the rationale behind wavetable oscillators, and how to make them in software. It starts with an introduction, here, followed by parts 1-3, with more to follow soon:

http://www.earlevel.com/main/2012/05/03 ... roduction/

I'm not big on self-promotion, but if no one reads my articles, there's no reason to write them. So, I just want to let people know they are there... :wink:
Last edited by earlevel on Wed May 08, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
My audio DSP blog: earlevel.com

I'm glad you posted this, because the discussion on MIDI is quite relevant to my current efforts - thanks!

A good read, thanks!

Regards

Andrew

thevinn wrote:I'm glad you posted this, because the discussion on MIDI is quite relevant to my current efforts - thanks!
You're welcome—and thanks for your contributions to the community as well!

Ichad.c wrote:A good read, thanks!
You're welcome—nice to know someone's read it, thanks.

Thanks for this and for your other tutorials. A lot of these concepts are really not that difficult but most of the published literature is written in an overly formal & academic style that makes them seem much more esoteric than they really are.

I'd love to see a book written in this style that covers the basics of DSP coding.

A good tutorial, I would have loved it when I first learned about this stuff.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

Very interesting, i like! :tu: :D

What a great series of articles, bookmarked.
They might even become of huge interest for me, should I try to improve the oscillators in my sequencer (as of now, they are simple function outputs).
Keep up the great work !

kuniklo wrote:
I'd love to see a book written in this style that covers the basics of DSP coding.
+1

I remember the blog! Very cool articles there! Have been opening the blog for a while some time ago (and some of the articles recently also).

Thank you. A very interesting read. :)

Good grief, this took a while...I'd mostly written an "end notes" article to the series back in June, but got a little overwhelmed between trying to make sense of cramming a bunch of different ideas in there, and a busy summer, work-wise. Finally, I got around to finishing it and getting the audio examples up:

http://www.earlevel.com/main/2012/11/18 ... end-notes/

And thanks for your comments, everyone. I only do this hoping that it helps a few people, so the positive comments are appreciated.
Last edited by earlevel on Wed May 08, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Very interesting reading ! Thanks a lot !

Thanks for this! Great read.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”