Access Virus ti Os5 and Logic Pro 9.17 working ok?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gearslut wrote:Do the low latency, glitches, and bugs occur all the time or only when you are making complex patches? In other words, if you played a simple preset with out tweaking it would it cause the before mentioned problems?

Thanks for the help!
For me, it's totally dependent on the DAW, regardless of the patch used. Some seem to be able to compensate for the latency by "seeing ahead" or whatever. In Studio One v2, no real latency issues when using 128 samples for my Delta1010LT. It's slightly more sluggish than a normal VST, but it's barely noticable. I also tried the demo version of Sonar X1 and it worked fine if you followed the Virus configuration guide (you have to make a few advanced changes in the Sonar settings). With Ableton Live 7, latency was pretty bad and in Reaper it was unbearable.

Other than that, no real "bugs" or glitches. Sometimes when opening an existing project in SO v2, it won't read all the parameters (some remain from the init patch), but I think that's a bug in SO rather than the Virus software. Just close and re-open Virus Control and/or the project seems to fix it.
Hardware: Akai MPK61, MFB-Synth II, Roland JX-8P, Virus TI Snow, KORG MS2000R, Roland SH-01
Favorite software: Sylenth1, Synth1, Messiah, ME80, OPX-Pro II, Zebra 2, Diva, Reason, Studio One V2 Pro

gone
Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

I doubt it. The TI 2 is relatively recent and seems to use the same driver. There are only two drivers that I'm aware of: TI & Snow. Access is one of very few hardware companies that seem to care at all about upgrades to the existing product and I think it's because they aren't addicted to product releases and obsolescence. :-) Even if they release something new, they maintain their development investment by not changing the hardware so much that it needs totally new software. The original TI I have is using the same software the TI 2 uses. I'm glad. Better chance of the product being well done than if they're constantly replacing it.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Ashe37 wrote:Actually, the now-advised configuration is to connect the Virus Ti on a port on a MTT usb hub. If you're running an Intel H77 or Z77 chipset, its actually pretty necessary.
Google wasn't very helpful here. Can you explain MTT USB hubs?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:Actually, the now-advised configuration is to connect the Virus Ti on a port on a MTT usb hub. If you're running an Intel H77 or Z77 chipset, its actually pretty necessary.
Google wasn't very helpful here. Can you explain MTT USB hubs?
ok, a usb hub has a chip in it called a transaction transciever. it sets the bandwidth for every downstream port in the hub. If you plug a USB 1 device into a hub, it says " ok usb 1 bandwidth" and usb 2 devices end up fighting for bandwidth. an MTT hub has more than one chip,and so the device at each port can request and get locked to its bandwidth. That is a greatly simplified explanation, but anyway

Thanks for that. Is it relatively easy to identify hubs that are mtt? When I searched, google wanted to give me links to mitt romney :yuck:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Search google shopping with the term Multiple Transaction Translator

For what it's worth, I've had pretty smooth dealings with the Virus TI in Cubase on PC since I bought it. I haven't upgraded to the latest beta OS though.

If I could do it again, I wouldn't have bought my Virus TI. I barely turn it on these days. With the money you would spend on the Virus TI, I suggest buying Omnisphere, Sylenth1, Massive and Zebra2 and you'll have yourself a hell of a sound source which integrates seamlessly into any DAW and doesn't have the burden of hardware (realtime renders, latency ... )

The best thing the Virus TI has going for it these days are the built in presets (which are excellent), but with the left over cash, you could always buy a great set of soundsets for Sylenth1, Massive and Zebra. The Omnisphere presets that come with it are of the same if not better quality than the Virus, although naturally, they are a very different set of sounds.

The latest Virus TI OS has been in beta for a very VERY long time too, not sure what's going on there.

All true... But it has knobs!! And they're already ready for use. No software has that. It's gotten where I wish there was a way to have physical controls without configuring stuff on generic control surfaces. I tried to sell my space-eating ProjectMix control surface (eBay disaster), and I've not taken it down again since testing that it came back in good condition because it really sucks to use on-screen controls and I've once again gotten used to having physical controls for shuttle, solo, mute, volume, etc.

That's why I wanted the Virus. Now if only I would get round to playing with it more...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

This looks like it might be the sort of thing:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manhattan-16103 ... B0035LXOPY

yup, that's one

Just bought it, looks perfect and good price too. I've seen some MTT hubs priced in 3 figures

Is there a way to tell if a hub I have is using MTT? It's an older one. Adaptec XHub7 (plus?).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I don't know of a way to tell other than doing bandwidth tests on multiple attached USB devices...

Tech specs don't mention it so probably not:

http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/instal ... ub_qsg.pdf

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”