Recording audio & video separately -- should audio be 44 or 48KHz?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I'm trying to record some casual family/home music performances, but I'm hoping for respectable quality.

My current plan is to record the audio in Ableton, video in my camera, and sync them in Sony (Vegas) Movie Studio -- replacing the audio captured by the camera with audio captured on the computer.

My understanding is that video uses 48KHz audio, wheres 44KHz is pretty standard for conventional audio.

I'm curious to know whether I should be recording in Ableton at 44 or 48KHz (or, for that matter, 96KHz). eg, is it somehow "bad" to merge 44KHz audio into a video file?

Conversely, if I record in Ableton at 48KHz, is there a problem if I later want to use that on, say, a CD?

THANKS!

I've used 44k audio in Vegas. Works fine.

thecontrolcentre wrote:I've used 44k audio in Vegas. Works fine.
Thanks! If you render an H.264 video from Vegas, does it then convert your 44KHz audio into 48KHz? Or does the video file contain 44KHz audio?

turnstyle wrote:
Thanks! If you render an H.264 video from Vegas, does it then convert your 44KHz audio into 48KHz? Or does the video file contain 44KHz audio?
I don't know. I've only used it to prepare dvd's. Exported the video as mpeg and audio as 44k wav (iirc).

thecontrolcentre wrote:
turnstyle wrote:
I don't know. I've only used it to prepare dvd's. Exported the video as mpeg and audio as 44k wav (iirc).
Thanks -- if anybody happens to know, I'm very curious to hear what you think.

I'm really hoping to avoid an "oops, should have done that differently" situation...

turnstyle wrote:Hi all,

I'm trying to record some casual family/home music performances, but I'm hoping for respectable quality.

My current plan is to record the audio in Ableton, video in my camera, and sync them in Sony (Vegas) Movie Studio -- replacing the audio captured by the camera with audio captured on the computer.

My understanding is that video uses 48KHz audio, wheres 44KHz is pretty standard for conventional audio.

I'm curious to know whether I should be recording in Ableton at 44 or 48KHz (or, for that matter, 96KHz). eg, is it somehow "bad" to merge 44KHz audio into a video file?

Conversely, if I record in Ableton at 48KHz, is there a problem if I later want to use that on, say, a CD?

THANKS!
I tell our students to stick to 48KHz (as per DV standard) for audio for video projects and 44.1K (as per CD standard) for audio-only projects.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Merging in 44.1 kHz audio into a video: yes it works fine. But most probably a sample rate conversion is done, which can be avoided if audio was recorded at 48kHz.

Is anybody able to tell the difference? Probably not...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

if you do end up having to convert there is a free program called re8brain(or something along those lines.)
ive used it before and it works great.

I haven't had any problem using audio files with different sample rates in Vegas Platinum 10. I do generally render at 48K because as whyterabbyt notes it's the industry standard.

I'm working on a project in Final Cut Pro/Express right now that REALLY makes me miss using Vegas!

whyterabbyt wrote:I tell our students to stick to 48KHz (as per DV standard) for audio for video projects and 44.1K (as per CD standard) for audio-only projects.
What if it's *both* a video and CD project?

turnstyle wrote: What if it's *both* a video and CD project?
Then record at 24/96 and master-then-downsample separately for the video and audio parts.

Return to “Production Techniques”