Izotope Trash 2 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

arachnaut wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Logic just crashed on me when trying to add a custom IR to the Library by clicking on the "Add to Lib" button in the Convo module. The Crashlog clearly states that Trash is responsible for this. I'll try again.

EDIT: Reproduced that crash 2 times now so it's a silly Bug. :(

Is the sample big? There is an option to alter the max IR sample size - default is 44100 samples.
It's supposed to clip the sample after that, I think. Maybe it's not working right?
Someone from iZotope just contacted me and suggested changing the custom IR folder. I will try that tomorrow on my studio machine and see if that helps. On one of my Laptops with a newer OSX (10.8.2) the crash did not occur after setting the path to a custom IR folder. It's got nothing to do with the sample size. Thank's anyway...

I just bought Silverline Bundle which covers distortion well enough for my tastes. I'm still testing Trash 2 in case it's something spectacular good.

Well it's pretty nice. Very versatile and easy to use. It's nice to have compessor and delay in same package and I like the idea of using impulses to make all kind of fancy sounds.

However it doesn't have that "wow" effect it should for me to buy it so I can be happy with what I got. But if you don't have any distortion effects this may be the only one you need.

Oh no. I am going to get flamed here but guys i don't like this so far. I much prefer fxpansion maul and fabfilter saturn.

:oops:

Sampleconstruct wrote:
arachnaut wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Logic just crashed on me when trying to add a custom IR to the Library by clicking on the "Add to Lib" button in the Convo module. The Crashlog clearly states that Trash is responsible for this. I'll try again.

EDIT: Reproduced that crash 2 times now so it's a silly Bug. :(

Is the sample big? There is an option to alter the max IR sample size - default is 44100 samples.
It's supposed to clip the sample after that, I think. Maybe it's not working right?
Someone from iZotope just contacted me and suggested changing the custom IR folder. I will try that tomorrow on my studio machine and see if that helps. On one of my Laptops with a newer OSX (10.8.2) the crash did not occur after setting the path to a custom IR folder. It's got nothing to do with the sample size. Thank's anyway...
So the crash was due to a permissions issue on my studio machine, I had to set the permissions of the IR

Trash 2 Library folder to read&write for myself, then the crash did not occur anymore and my own IRs could be added to the Library into a custom folder which I had created beforehand.

So anybody running into this problem on a Mac check permissions for:
User/Documents/iZotope/Trash 2
and set it to "read&write" for yourself.

The distortion in this thing sound pretty unspectacular too me. No wonder they tacked a delay and a bunch of other stuff on it (kind of random for a distortion effect to have a delay isn't it?)

And I don't like something as basic as an oversample switch being hidden in a menu I have to click the mouse like 6-8 times to get to. Oversampling switches need to be more conveniently placed than that.

I would say Fabfilter Saturn or Fxpansion Maul have a better distortion sound, I can get more of an analog grind out of those plugins whereas Trash just sounds, well, trashier, fuzzier, fizzier, cannier, squelchier. It's probably great for industrial styles, but not really my cup of tea.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Where's the t-pain effect?

HAHA!

Alright. Inevitable comparisons to "saturn" maybe??

Another experiment using a stretched drumloop processed by Trash 2 Vowel Filter in envelope follow mode - demo starts dry:
http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/t ... oopstretch

I really love this plugin! I don't have Ohmicide or Saturn, so I can't make any comparisons there. Not that it really matters, because I'd probably just end up buying those too, so its best that I don't even look! :lol:

Up till now, I've been using Guitar Rig, D16 Silver Line plugins, and AudioEase Speakerphone. I've never been able to get too excited about any of the D16 ones, to be perfectly honest. They sound *okay*, but nothing special to my ears. I love Guitar Rig, but more as a huge multi-effects toolbox than for any one specific distortion tone. I also checked out Maul when it was first released, but just couldn't get excited about the sound of it. I actually find Trash 2 closest to Speakerphone 2 in terms of distortion and convolution. They have totally different philosophies, of course, and I think the two will be quite complementary to each other.

As for Trash itself, I can't find anything I dislike about it. It definitely doesn't sound fizzy to me... unless you want it to. It seems to have plenty of "midrange balls" to my ears. Then again, I've never been one of those tone-questers, and I'm more interested in versatility and having a wide sonic palette to draw upon, rather than any one specific sound. I can understand how some people might be disappointed if they had something specific in mind and cannot reproduce that sound with Trash.

As for me, I'm very happy with my purchase!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

While (as a happy user of Trash1) I thought I'd be all over this I have to say that after a quick demo I'm rather underwhelmed, especially at the rather steep upgrade price - a price which would pretty much buy you a new quality plug-in from another manufacturer.

What have they really added since T1?

- More convolution options. I have Speakerphone so this isn't really doing it for me even though this is really nicely done if you don't have another convolution plug-in.

- More filters. Yawn. If I wanted more filtering options I'd buy another filter plug. Trash is about distortion and this is what they should have concentrated on IMO. Much of these add-ons smack of 'We've got this code sitting around in our other plug-ins, lets add to Trash and act like it's a major upgrade'.

- More distortion types. Again, pretty much yawn. None of them seem to do anything that different to me, can be good to have more options but most of the time I'd rather fewer options that were better defined. I think distortion should be moving away from this simple wave transfer stuff. Play with an AxeFX 2 for a while and you'll know what I mean.

- Ability to create your own distortions. Feels like a gimmick. Nice to play with and will suit compulsive tweakheads but I'm not convinced as to how useful this really is to be honest.

- A soft knee option on the compressor. This is good but why not an adjustable knee for Fs sake. I know I just ranted about it being a distortion plug but the comp is actually one of my favourite parts of Trash, more options here, different compressor modes etc would have been most welcome for me.

And what's missing?

Well, the glaringly obvious thing is the modulation. You can modulate the filter section. Whoop dee doo! Why on earth can't you modulate the distortion section, freq bands etc? This makes the distortion module (supposedly the most important) feel very static, in fact it's basically the same as Trash 1's but with a couple of extra bits. Compare this to the modulation options on Saturn and it's embarrassing. Even Speakerphone allows more modulation of its distortion section.

Dynamics module pretty much the same.

Delay module is the same.

Convolution module. Well, apart from more IRs and the ability to load your own AIFs, let's face it - it's the same! No modulation options which would have been really nice here.

So, apart from the obvious (and welcome) user-interface improvements I really don't see this as the earth-shattering upgrade it's pitched as and have to think hard about whether it's worth me jumping in. I certainly won't be purchasing right away that's for sure. Plus there's the thought that IzoTope won't bother upgrading for another six years or whatever it's been.

Could try much harder. Look beyond the marketing fluff and this isn't really much of an upgrade (though it's still an extremely strong, if expensive, product in it's own right).

Demoed it for a while now. Well...allthough I think its good and a step up from Trash1 I don't know if I will shell out the 100 for upgrade...its a bit much. Just updated from Sonar X1 to X2 for 100 and that was for an entire DAW.
Also I never managed to get this in your face distortion sound I can achieve with for example Camel Phat.
But for subtile distortion on Vocals Trash has ever been great and I like the new waveshaping feature.
Still miles better than Ohmicide which has a good sound but is killed by its HORRENDOUS interface.
iZotope should make the upgrade price about 80.
would be more realisitc just saying

I dunno. I pay $100 to the babysitter just to have the option to be able to spend $150 more for a dinner out with my wife for one date night. It's funny how we value software that we own for years and can inspire us relative to other things in our lives these days. ;)

Haha nice.

Well I actually realized I've been only using a few trash 1 presets for guitar/bass... But now I'm thinking, I don't even need the upgrade, there's so much I haven't really explored in trash 1 yet.

After using Amplitube, Trash 1, Ohmicide and Etch, I have had enough of fizzy, harshness for now. I'm still enjoying the sounds of a real 2-channel tube amp........ and a real Deluxe Memoryman.

Cheers,
Gordon

Beardedone wrote:After using Amplitube, Trash 1, Ohmicide and Etch, I have had enough of fizzy, harshness for now. I'm still enjoying the sounds of a real 2-channel tube amp........ and a real Deluxe Memoryman.

Cheers,
Gordon
2-channel? Pfft! Everybody knows its single channel non-master volume that you want!

N00bs, I swear.... ;)
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I might be interested in this. I read back some through the thread. It seems there's not much love for this. I think distortion is hard to handle, for non quitarists, it seems like something that needs to be worked with alot before it melds with the sound and the playing style.

So I like the concept that it's got alot of UI feedback about what your doing.

I have Guitar Rig, but I have no experience of working with all the different units they have emulated there, so in a way all that emulation is somewhat wasted on me. I'm more interested in using a tool that I can get into straight away, as it is with the emulations, I feel like I have to go back in time and find examples of guitarists using the real deal to really understand the best way to make use of them.

So I'd be interested in Trash 2 at the introductory price, if it's proved itself for users that aren't deeply knowledgable about the real deal Guitar distortion. I'd be using it as a synthesists tool..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Return to “Effects”