The hardest beat I have ever produced!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXnFBzsM4ys

or

http://soundcloud.com/knightfx/that-jawbreaker

Thanks for all the love from everyone on this forum its greatly appreciated!

I really need some mixing pros to give me some hate criticism on this track, I think its one of my best and mixed the best.

So I really want to refine it to the point of radio play.

Please help me make this track better.

KFX KICKS PRODUCTIONS
Last edited by kfxkicks on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm not a pro but it sounds quite good to my ears. Reminds me a lot of GTA IV soundtrack :)

I'm listening with cheap headphones, so I'll refrain from commenting the mix itself

Listening on K240's and I'm liking this, a lot. Very interesting use/choice of instruments and their placement.

The vox was (at times) a bit 'too' sublimated for my (personal) taste, but generally intelligible, which is important to me unless it is meant to be somewhat 'ethereal' throughout.

I haven't owned or (intentionally) listened to "radio" for over 20 years, so can't comment about what appeals/doesn't appeal there, nor (for that matter) could I 'label' this beyond 'vaguely' as any specific genre, being severely genre challenged, so I'd not know what/whom you are desiring to appeal to.

I found it an interesting and well done "track".

[2c]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

dinaiz wrote:I'm not a pro but it sounds quite good to my ears. Reminds me a lot of GTA IV soundtrack :)

I'm listening with cheap headphones, so I'll refrain from commenting the mix itself
Please let me know how it sounds anyways. More reference points the better!
Shabdahbriah wrote:Listening on K240's and I'm liking this, a lot. Very interesting use/choice of instruments and their placement.

The vox was (at times) a bit 'too' sublimated for my (personal) taste, but generally intelligible, which is important to me unless it is meant to be somewhat 'ethereal' throughout.

I haven't owned or (intentionally) listened to "radio" for over 20 years, so can't comment about what appeals/doesn't appeal there, nor (for that matter) could I 'label' this beyond 'vaguely' as any specific genre, being severely genre challenged, so I'd not know what/whom you are desiring to appeal to.

I found it an interesting and well done "track".

[2c]
Shabdahbriah glad to see that your liking this. Might have hit the nail on top of the head with this one. I was catering to rap/hip hop artists of any genre. Possibly film/video game soundtrack situations as well.

If by vox your referring the the choir/synth combo then i suppose its a bit too over powering in the mix, but its meant to give it that power/victorious feeling. Like you own the game and thats why your rapping over this beat.

I don't listen to the radio either thank god. Though I am trying to find my niche in the music industry even if it takes me years. I have the patience, cash flow, and desire.

Appreciate your commenting on my track!

kfxkicks wrote:
dinaiz wrote:I'm not a pro but it sounds quite good to my ears. Reminds me a lot of GTA IV soundtrack :)

To me, the kick/bass duo could be more upfront. I'd gently roll of the highs too. But as I said, it might come from my 20$ headphones, haha :)

dinaiz wrote:
kfxkicks wrote:

To me, the kick/bass duo could be more upfront. I'd gently roll of the highs too. But as I said, it might come from my 20$ headphones, haha :)
Going to take a listen to this track some more and see what happens when I do exactly that. Appreciate your feedback!

sounds good on burl da + dynaudio bm5a mk2's in well treated room, i'd say your ready for mastering.

tell us a bit about your mix btw, what plugins you use daw? thanks

kfxkicks wrote: Going to take a listen to this track some more and see what happens when I do exactly that. Appreciate your feedback!
My pleasure. Every musician, me included, loves having external feedback. When you spent hours mixing a track, you don't really know what's right and what's wrong because you've heard it too many times :)

I had an opportunity to listen to it on real monitoring speakers, and it's much better than with the headphones. However, I still think the low end would need more presence. It's very linked to the genre you're producing, but this kind of hip hop needs a more upfront groove, so more bass and kick. I think it must be "in your face", at least if you wanna meet the radio standards.

Now I'm a huge fan of the arrangement itself ! Very polished and very nice musically speaking. It's a pleasure for the ears but it just need a tiny bit of extra "something" to get my bones shacking. Don't give up, you're very close ! :D
bobbybland wrote:tell us a bit about your mix btw, what plugins you use daw? thanks
+1

dinaiz wrote:
My pleasure. Every musician, me included, loves having external feedback. When you spent hours mixing a track, you don't really know what's right and what's wrong because you've heard it too many times :)

I had an opportunity to listen to it on real monitoring speakers, and it's much better than with the headphones. However, I still think the low end would need more presence. It's very linked to the genre you're producing, but this kind of hip hop needs a more upfront groove, so more bass and kick. I think it must be "in your face", at least if you wanna meet the radio standards.

Now I'm a huge fan of the arrangement itself ! Very polished and very nice musically speaking. It's a pleasure for the ears but it just need a tiny bit of extra "something" to get my bones shacking. Don't give up, you're very close ! :D
Couldn't agree with you more, the more I listen to it the more I hate it. lol! Though once I get feedback I can pin point what my ears or monitors might not pick up on your reference point(s).

Okay I feel what your saying with the bass and kick. I'm actually in the middle of reworking this track a lot and tweaking the rolls/fills a bit more.

Glad that the arrangement is on point and that its music to your ears! ;)

Going to make this a beast just needs more time invested in it to get it there. :)
bobbybland wrote:sounds good on burl da + dynaudio bm5a mk2's in well treated room, i'd say your ready for mastering.

tell us a bit about your mix btw, what plugins you use daw? thanks
dinaiz wrote:+1
Thanks bobby!

Everything is produced in FL Studio 10
KRK VXT 8's
Audeze LCD 3's Producer Headphones
Komplete Audio 6 Interface
Axiom Pro 49/Ultranova Novation/Maschine (Midi/Synth/Drum Devices)

VSTS Used -
- I'm using 3 instance of IK Multi Media Sonik Synth2 For the Choirs 3 layered vocal presets.
- EWQL Stormdrum2 for the kind of stomp/tom drums in the beginning and else where
- Sylenth1 for the music box and the portamento melody that comes in later in the track
- Reaktor5 for the main pad
- Nexus2 - pad/piano esk melody
- Kontakt5 - using the overtone piano, evolve percussion kit, session horns addon
- Then some samples & soundfonts for the drums, bass, kick, cymbals etc.

Mixing Tools/Vsts

- Ozone5 Advanced on master (not using it yet but it will be on the next version)
- Plenty of stock fruity loops parametric eq on the the kick/bass and brass
- Stock fruity loops reverb on some of the elements soon majority of the crash/cymbals
- Sugar Bytes Turnado time based manipulation (I find that there knobs and filters sound really good if you use automation correctly in the mix)
- Sausage Fattner to compress/beef the drums

Thats pretty much the jist of it so far.

:shock:

KFX KICKS

kfxkicks wrote: Couldn't agree with you more, the more I listen to it the more I hate it. lol! Though once I get feedback I can pin point what my ears or monitors might not pick up on your reference point(s).

Okay I feel what your saying with the bass and kick. I'm actually in the middle of reworking this track a lot and tweaking the rolls/fills a bit more.
Haha, I was sure there was some Maschine involved, there it's signature sound :)

But no, don't rework it a lot, otherwise, you'll have to redo everything all over again. My comments where bold but I didn't mean your track was bad or really faulty. If I were you, I'd just do some minor tweaks. A bit of eq, small volume changes, slightly hi-passing everything but the bass and the kick but you need SLIGHT changes. The song is pretty good as it is now. You just ask : how to make it better, and I give you my point of view, but reworking everything would be a huge mistake IMHO !If you need - and that's only my opinion- a reference point, I'd expect at 0:13 to be smashed by the kick and crash. The transition is smooth...but I wouldn't expect it to be smooth. But after all, it's a matter of taste and some other kvrists might disagree !

Nice work again. I really liked the percussion on here, especially that gong and the panned snare sound.

Good work :)

dinaiz wrote: Haha, I was sure there was some Maschine involved, there it's signature sound :)

But no, don't rework it a lot, otherwise, you'll have to redo everything all over again. My comments where bold but I didn't mean your track was bad or really faulty. If I were you, I'd just do some minor tweaks. A bit of eq, small volume changes, slightly hi-passing everything but the bass and the kick but you need SLIGHT changes. The song is pretty good as it is now. You just ask : how to make it better, and I give you my point of view, but reworking everything would be a huge mistake IMHO !If you need - and that's only my opinion- a reference point, I'd expect at 0:13 to be smashed by the kick and crash. The transition is smooth...but I wouldn't expect it to be smooth. But after all, it's a matter of taste and some other kvrists might disagree !
I didn't really rework much I just added some cool elements and changed a few sounds brought the track to radio quality and now that bass should knock!

New upload is up and ready for your ears! ;)
seismic1 wrote:Nice work again. I really liked the percussion on here, especially that gong and the panned snare sound.

Good work :)
Thanks man kind of like a movie meets trap/hip hop.

Appreciate you always swigging in on my beats!

:D

kfxkicks wrote: I didn't really rework much I just added some cool elements and changed a few sounds brought the track to radio quality and now that bass should knock!
I just took a quick listen on my big NHT speakers. There's so much bass rumbling it sounds like a small earthquake. You might considering dialing it back a touch.

Is the intention to get someone rapping over this?

FrantzM wrote:
kfxkicks wrote: I didn't really rework much I just added some cool elements and changed a few sounds brought the track to radio quality and now that bass should knock!
I just took a quick listen on my big NHT speakers. There's so much bass rumbling it sounds like a small earthquake. You might considering dialing it back a touch.

Is the intention to get someone rapping over this?
Sure I can dial it back sometimes I over do it. Kind of my secondary code name "dj over done it" aka kfxkicks. :)

The intention is to get some rapping over this for sure.

Carry on with the criticism, I really appreciate everyone that has chimed in it means a lot.

kfxkicks wrote: The intention is to get some rapping over this for sure.
I'm not up-to-date on current hip hop but I'd say it's on par with the few recent tracks I've heard. I think it's good and presentable in it's current form. :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”