Which Synth ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

im looking for a new synth for live work. I would prefer to use my controller and a laptop, but i cant find a decent laptop for reasonable money (my main gripe being screen resolution)...so...

i need:

61 keys

splits (2 min, prefer 3/4)

layers

strings/pianos/brass/synth leads/pads

seperate pb/mw, no joystick

dont need:

seq

drum sounds

arp

aftertouch (but doesnt matter if it has them, i just dont use them)

dont want:

semi or weighted keys, i prefer synth keys.

currently using a cs2x, but editing is a bitch, so im really wanting a new synth that has a good pc editor. If it doesnt have that its not on my list

seen a few that i might try (have a local shop [PMT] i can test stuff, so anything you recommend will be looked into

saw a video for the new yamaha mx61 that looked quite good...

:?:

Bump

Kriminal wrote:(my main gripe being screen resolution)...
So what about the resolution? Too tiny pixels for live work?
How much power do you need? My 2004 Acer laptop costs these days close to nothing(i actually got it for free earlier this year), and runs basic VA and rompler stuff just fine. Synth1 and Sampletank are great with it. It's screen is HUGE, with every little detail(pixels) clearly visible, 15" 4:3, 1028x768.

I also have a 2009 Acer, which is tiny small, runs 7 hours on battery, has Core2 processor so can run even more complex plugs with ease. It's a modern laptop with 13" HD screen though, if the screen size was your problem. It cost 700e back then.
I just finished a mobile-project on it running Cubase 6.5, Z3TA2, ValhallaRoom, Korg Legacy plugs, MiniMoog V, Sampletank etc.. hooked up to an M-Audio Venom, with 256 sample latency. Doesn't get any better than that :) Most compact mobile DAW system I've ever worked with (apart from using it without the keyboard =)

If youd rather use a laptop with a controller, then just do that. You're not going to get a cheaper workstation-type synth, that's for sure.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

mkdr wrote:
Kriminal wrote:(my main gripe being screen resolution)...
So what about the resolution?
its not up for debate, ive researched a lot and its not possible to get what i need , so im looking for a hardware synth that is more user friendly the one im currently using.

well, since you said separate PB/MW, you're pretty much limited to the Yamahas. Both Korg and Roland use sticks.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”