What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Mini-documentary on 'sampling' circa 1989

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Shabdahbriah
KVRAF

4324 posts since 19 Jun, 2008

Postby Shabdahbriah; Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:20 pm Mini-documentary on 'sampling' circa 1989

Perception is the ultimate "reality" ~ but not, the ultimate Truth.
Hewitt Huntwork
KVRian

1061 posts since 2 Jun, 2003

Postby Hewitt Huntwork; Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:15 pm

Fun to watch. :)
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 678 reviews each day!
SampleScience
KVRAF

2459 posts since 31 Oct, 2004, from Mtl, Canada

Postby SampleScience; Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:39 pm

Very interesting documentary. Thanks for sharing!
PatchAdamz
KVRAF

1876 posts since 12 Nov, 2012

Postby PatchAdamz; Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:24 am

I remember spending some bucks on the Mirage which was touted as the first affordable quality sampler.

I also had some access to a Synclavier at my first studio job.

This is all prior to 89....ouch
synthmagic
KVRian

854 posts since 6 Jan, 2011, from UK

Postby synthmagic; Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:00 pm

The hair at 02:10 is incredible - I thought my hair was long. WOW! Now that is hair. It is my ambition now to have a majestic mane like that - we need more hair like that in the world.
Cold Cut using an FZ-1 aswell - cool old sampler.
Last edited by synthmagic on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
ARP Quadra, Polymoog and other vintage synths for Kontakt http://www.synthmagic.co.uk
PatchAdamz
KVRAF

1876 posts since 12 Nov, 2012

Postby PatchAdamz; Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:33 pm

synthmagic wrote:The hair at 02:10 is incredible - I thought my hair was long. WOW! Now that is hair.
Cold Cut using an FZ-1 aswell - cool old sampler.

Ha ha, its a raining day walking down the streets of synth(sampler) memory lane.

The land marks of time for us synth enthusiast.
KVRAF

2158 posts since 27 Dec, 2002, from London

Postby cron; Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:51 pm

That was a great watch. Thanks! I also enjoyed the hair.

I remember when I started out using trackers in the mid-90s with no internet connection, my only source of samples (since trackers back then were essentially just software samplers with a sequencer attached) was my CD collection. I remember combing through CDs looking for isolated notes played by various instruments, places where I could pull out single drum hits etc... Despite the fact I was just pulling out individual notes/hits and creating totally new melodies/patterns etc, it's funny to think that every element of every track I made back then would likely constitute infringement.

I can't say my attitude toward sampling has changed very much since. :hihi:
synthmagic
KVRian

854 posts since 6 Jan, 2011, from UK

Postby synthmagic; Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:56 pm

cron wrote:That was a great watch. Thanks! I also enjoyed the hair.

my only source of samples (since trackers back then were essentially just software samplers with a sequencer attached) was my CD collection. I remember combing through CDs looking for isolated notes played by various instruments, places where I could pull out single drum hits etc...

Same here - I used to just have a portable cd player connected to my Prophet 2000 and just hit the sample button and see what I got. The prophet 2000 could not monitor what was being played through it(well my one could'nt) so I had no idea what I was sampling - Some really interesting results did come about using this method.

Wish I still had that prophet 2000.
ARP Quadra, Polymoog and other vintage synths for Kontakt http://www.synthmagic.co.uk
MrDuke
KVRist

105 posts since 9 Aug, 2009

Postby MrDuke; Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:51 am

Thanks for sharing!

Love the lawyers who try their best to hide how enthusiastic they are about raking in as much $$$ as possible. "Rap is all about the background, not the rap"

Also - funny seeing Steve Winwood there...I bet he's not complaining about sampling him anymore ("Valerie" / "Call On Me" comes to mind...although technically I guess he re-did his vocals there).
audiothing
KVRian

567 posts since 13 Apr, 2011

Postby audiothing; Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting :)

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries