Popular drum hits while melody is playing

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm interested in a way that you'd create the following drum hits in your track. It gives the track an insane amount of energy (at least I feel it like that).

So, what twould be your path in achieving this, does it depend a lot on the melody where the drums will hit? What kind of processing you would use and such?

Fox example in a new Hardwell track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggyWCjVwaQw @0:48

or perhaps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7qO_EwKHDY @1.37

Thanks

Ugh, is this music? Anyways, nowadays you can just get some generic cookie-cutter sample library and it'll have these included. Or start learning mixing and over-compression. You're welcome

just sounds like (short) kickdrums to me (808 style + compression) and a bunch of crashes on top of it

funny how the two tracks are almost identical in that aspect

These are just the kind of breaks a drummer would play in a (stadium)rocksong. If you have ever played in a band you can understand how it works; the drummer is sort of emphasizing the changing of the strummed chords. Imagine a poodle-rocker guitarplayer in spandextrousers with his foot on the monitor doing chi-ching! arm in the air chi-ching! again, and the drummer going boom-boom! crash! crash! etc. Fireworks going off, big lights, the whole cheesy rock-shebang.

So, first study what the drummer is doing in a stadiumrock; where the kick, snare and crashes go, and apply that to a dancetune.
Last edited by monopoli on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I think the key is that the kicks are leading the listener into off-the-beat chord changes, making the chord changes sound more dramatic than they would otherwise.

Pattern in the Hardwell track is

kick+change---2---3---kick-kick+change-1---2---3---4---
kick+change---2---3-kick-4-kick+change-1---2---3---4---

Return to “Production Techniques”