Plugin/VSTi reviews - simillar to video game reviews by now

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just found this while reading comics. And the sad thing on it, it's more than spot on for most reviews in the music realm, especially on KVR.

http://www.duelinganalogs.com/infograph ... eal-world/

Looking at recent reviews (on KVR!), there's nothing that goes even slightly below 7 out of 10 points. As critical person, I really can't find the cream of the crop anymore. So why should there still be reviews if they're constantly "yah - this is great!"?

YMMV - enjoy the comic.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

On the other hand, I can't really think of any instance where I've come across a commercial VST with such a bad interface/poor functionality/so many bugs that it would warrant anything less than average.

I discussed this once with guys from magazines. There's so much stuff out there, no-one needs to write about crap. Hence everyone reviews stuff they like. Very simple.

Almost all people only rate when they like it, they want to share their positive experience and rate high. Negative experiences are not as often shared and people don't bother reporting it. Only real pissed off or very disappointed users bother to rate at all.
Cowbells!

But the rating is constantly high - a lot of time 10 out of 10.

So far I didn't stumble across one plugin that is perfect. I'm just wondering the the "high ratings" are a trend, or if these tools are all really just... excellent.

And I think, this comic pretty much sums it up.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

What is 10 of 10 for one is 3 of 10 for another.
It's just that enthusiastic owners review. The 3s can't, as they don't own it to review?

Judge by yourself, never trust a review which you didn't write yourself.

I agree with Urs... most people only review plugins and sample libraries that they like. Magazine reviewers get a lot of plugins to choose from and so they of course choose the ones they enjoy. That, and most VSTs + sample libraries are pretty awesome.

That being said, I do wish there were a publication like "Consumer Reports" in the US, except for VSTs/samples. CR is a subscription magazine & website that reviews a wide range of consumer products. The catch is that they have no advertising at all. Literally none. They take no money from advertisers/businesses, and they do not take freebies... they buy all the products they review. This gives them ultimate objectivity. They also do surveys of their readers to get widespread opinions on specific products and services.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

SonicState on Youtube often reviews plugins and he's pretty honest about what he thinks imo.

Sadly, I'm only talking about once in a blue moon!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”