Soundcloud for dummies?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

YOUTUBE? YOUTUBE? Please, some group of lawyers will come over and arrest me because I used some sound I wasn't supposed to or some other nonsense :hihi:

tapper mike wrote:ya know....You could always import audio into windows movie maker add an image, export it as a video and upload it to youtube.
There's some sites that does the job. I like this:

http://www.mp32tube.com/

(the free version has a 10MB size limit per track and a time limit too)

But I'd preffer to upload my tracks to SC. Easy to use and it put you in touch with lots of cool people and great musicians in almost all styles.

hibidy wrote:YOUTUBE? YOUTUBE? Please, some group of lawyers will come over and arrest me because I used some sound I wasn't supposed to or some other nonsense :hihi:
Been there had that done. Though it doesn't seem to stop anyone else.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

tapper mike wrote:ya know....You could always import audio into windows movie maker add an image, export it as a video and upload it to youtube.
That's a good point! For more impact I'd work with a few images make a slide show that set the mood.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Well, other than a TAD more space, there doesn't seem to be any reason to shell the cash.

FREE-bee it is!

I'm not in the mood for getting fleeced by SoundCloud!

I have tonnes of content to get out there at some point.

Photography, Video, Sound, texts, website.

I think I'll go for the service that provides the most amount of space and security, then make my audio files live embedded in a custom video player with the waveform display movie capture. Surely the comments strip is just a piece of code that can be duplicated.

My Provider has to have a fair Price, Security, Backup, Webhosting would be cool. Shop template, Blog,, direct link to my custom vidioplayer.

Then I can use SoundClouds free accounts as a dynamic space for latests tracks.

I've done research on the photo sites as well SmugMug does a nice job for photographers if SoundCloud had that slick of a setup on offer then I think the prices they are asking for would be more inline with reality.

I sense though that all this functionality on offer here is possible in a homemade setup. And really SoundCloud in my a opinion is just a player of tracks. If you want to sell your music or sound design there are other more suitable services.. For example most sounds I buy from developers here on KVR is done through paypal then I get sent a download link, no soundclloud in sight.

As to the feedback on tracks, I don't know, it's cute, gives a little tinkle. but really from there to it being a place for geeting useful constructive feedback, it just doesn't happen. I'd rather develop contacts with a few seasoned mentors, that can give my tracks a real going over, and not be afraid I'll get hurt if they allow their true opinions to come through. That's garbage but what if you.... type of feedback.. This is easy if it's done in a private way.

Don't want too many monkies on my back!

hibidy wrote:Seriously, I have no idea what the hell I want.

My needs? To be able to upload sound files and a couple of songs in WAV. I already have Box for mp3's. I have no clue looking at the details what any of that stuff means.

BTW, I have 0.004% interest in mobile anything. So, if that factors in, ditch it.....I don't care.
why not use www.dropbox.com ?
it gives you 2GB free and then 500MB extra for each friend you invite (through email referral) -- you can store any type of file there, and the files you put in the public folder can have public links generated for you to post anywhere. This "public" folder is not "public" in its entirety, only the people that see the link can have access to the single linked file, and nothing else in the "public" folder. If the file is an mp3, wma, etc, it will stream. WAVs will stream too, or you can right click and download, like any other audio file.
Here's a .wav example:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9415384/38-Auto ... 0Augur.wav
Moreover, if the free space is not enough for you and you have 2 or more email addresses, you can open 2 or more different free accounts (it doesn't care about your IP ;)) and you can even "connect" them through shared folders.
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

I have dropbox :)

Was looking to take advantage of the soundcloud integration with live.

I'm seriously considering moving to Youtube actually. Free, no limits (you're initially limited to 10 minute videos but they remove this restriction after a while), outstanding and detailed analytics, better audio quality than Soundcloud at all video sizes other than 240p (this is the one I consider a total shocker), Youtube and the concept of embedded videos are more familiar to the public... Other than Soundcloud's networking features, I'm seeing no reason to stay there at the moment.

One thing to note about Soundcloud is that whatever format you upload, it'll be streamed at 128kbps mp3, and pretty badly encoded too. It can be downloaded as whatever format you uploaded (WAV, Flac etc) but not stream as that.

tehlord wrote:One thing to note about Soundcloud is that whatever format you upload, it'll be streamed at 128kbps mp3, and pretty badly encoded too. It can be downloaded as whatever format you uploaded (WAV, Flac etc) but not stream as that.
Oh. That's meh

tehlord wrote:One thing to note about Soundcloud is that whatever format you upload, it'll be streamed at 128kbps mp3, and pretty badly encoded too. It can be downloaded as whatever format you uploaded (WAV, Flac etc) but not stream as that.
Yep. For comparison, and assuming your video utilises an uncompressed or lossless audio container, Youtube encodes audio at:

240p - 60kb/s MP3
360p/480p - 128kb/s AAC
720p and above - 192kb/s AAC

For a service dedicated to streaming audio, Soundcloud's streaming quality is a joke.

But those networking features...

hibidy wrote:
Oh. That's meh
Yeah it's harsh... It made my sorta crappy tracks sound more than sorta crappy.

:hihi:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

It used to be that Box didn't have wav support for playback, only download. Now it looks like they do so other than the convenience of live/soundcloud integration this is no longer an issue.

Anyways, thanks for all the info and help!

hibidy wrote:It used to be that Box didn't have wav support for playback, only download. Now it looks like they do so other than the convenience of live/soundcloud integration this is no longer an issue.

Anyways, thanks for all the info and help!
That's cool, I'm using MP3 encoded in Fission in best quality. I haven't used much time finding out if the Box Mp3 player degraded the audio quality.

I'd prefer not to make my original Waves available for download. You can apparently only restrict to streaming if you have a paid account.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”