Mini-documentary on 'sampling' circa 1989

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Fun to watch. :)
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Very interesting documentary. Thanks for sharing!

I remember spending some bucks on the Mirage which was touted as the first affordable quality sampler.

I also had some access to a Synclavier at my first studio job.

This is all prior to 89....ouch

The hair at 02:10 is incredible - I thought my hair was long. WOW! Now that is hair. It is my ambition now to have a majestic mane like that - we need more hair like that in the world.
Cold Cut using an FZ-1 aswell - cool old sampler.
Last edited by synthmagic on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

synthmagic wrote:The hair at 02:10 is incredible - I thought my hair was long. WOW! Now that is hair.
Cold Cut using an FZ-1 aswell - cool old sampler.
Ha ha, its a raining day walking down the streets of synth(sampler) memory lane.

The land marks of time for us synth enthusiast.

That was a great watch. Thanks! I also enjoyed the hair.

I remember when I started out using trackers in the mid-90s with no internet connection, my only source of samples (since trackers back then were essentially just software samplers with a sequencer attached) was my CD collection. I remember combing through CDs looking for isolated notes played by various instruments, places where I could pull out single drum hits etc... Despite the fact I was just pulling out individual notes/hits and creating totally new melodies/patterns etc, it's funny to think that every element of every track I made back then would likely constitute infringement.

I can't say my attitude toward sampling has changed very much since. :hihi:

cron wrote:That was a great watch. Thanks! I also enjoyed the hair.

my only source of samples (since trackers back then were essentially just software samplers with a sequencer attached) was my CD collection. I remember combing through CDs looking for isolated notes played by various instruments, places where I could pull out single drum hits etc...
Same here - I used to just have a portable cd player connected to my Prophet 2000 and just hit the sample button and see what I got. The prophet 2000 could not monitor what was being played through it(well my one could'nt) so I had no idea what I was sampling - Some really interesting results did come about using this method.

Wish I still had that prophet 2000.
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

Thanks for sharing!

Love the lawyers who try their best to hide how enthusiastic they are about raking in as much $$$ as possible. "Rap is all about the background, not the rap"

Also - funny seeing Steve Winwood there...I bet he's not complaining about sampling him anymore ("Valerie" / "Call On Me" comes to mind...although technically I guess he re-did his vocals there).

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting :)
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”