What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

C165a VCA compressor with sidechain

Official support for: sknote.it

Moderator: quintosardo

KVRAF

3281 posts since 15 Jul, 2004, from Italy

Postby quintosardo; Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:17 am

Internal sidechain unit active here, adding the external sidechain in the next update.
This comp is 4x oversampled, external sidechain requires oversampling another pair of inputs and it was too heavy.
So we're re-writing that slice of code :)

The other feature you'll find disabled is stereo-off (meaning dual mono), because the double detector is in that same slice.

But there is so much to have fun with already :D
Electronics and music: www.sknote.it
Recording in Italy: www.skstudio.it
KVRAF

19353 posts since 13 Feb, 2003, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby bduffy; Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:19 am

quintosardo wrote:Internal sidechain unit active here, adding the external sidechain in the next update.
This comp is 4x oversampled, external sidechain requires oversampling another pair of inputs and it was too heavy.
So we're re-writing that slice of code :)

The other feature you'll find disabled is stereo-off (meaning dual mono), because the double detector is in that same slice.

But there is so much to have fun with already :D

OK, I thought the dual-mono wasn't working. So in the future, will there be dual-mono mode?

And I guess the oversampling is crucial to the sound and can't be lowered? It's just rather high for use on all tracks (on a 2008 Mac Pro). I'll have to treat it more as that special piece of outboard gear, like in the studio...
KVRAF

2822 posts since 10 Sep, 2003, from Karlskoga, Stockholm, Sweden

Postby Crackbaby; Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:47 am

Working in a one-core host gives me the limitation my creativity needs :lol: It's not all bad.. :)

Since i almost purely work with electronic music.. What is the 165's main use usually in a studio? For bassguitars .. vocals .. summing?

Snares is* given thanks to the video :tu: :)

*(is this an odd case where it is is and not are? "it is given" ... but it's plural and thus are ..... )
Elektron Machinedrum Mk1 UW, Analog4, Octatrack
Soundcraft EFX12, Alesis 3630, Nanocompressor, Zoom G13, Tapco 3630
Gordon-Smith Gypsy, Yamaha THR10, P-80
M-Audio Delta 24/96 PCI
KVRAF

19353 posts since 13 Feb, 2003, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby bduffy; Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:03 am

Crackbaby wrote:Working in a one-core host gives me the limitation my creativity needs :lol: It's not all bad.. :)

Since i almost purely work with electronic music.. What is the 165's main use usually in a studio? For bassguitars .. vocals .. summing?

Snares is* given thanks to the video :tu: :)

*(is this an odd case where it is is and not are? "it is given" ... but it's plural and thus are ..... )

Not sure about that last question, but AFAIK, the 165 is renowned for being used on drums, but it's versatile due to its program-dependancy, and can work on everything.
KVRist

86 posts since 4 Nov, 2006, from Misawa, Japan

Postby APZX; Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:47 am

Well, just got it tonight. And I must say that by far my favorite feature currently is that limiter. Something about it how it just destroys just about anything that goes into it is awesome. I decided to run a resonant bass patch into it just to see how it would handle it. Turns out pretty good IMO.

But yeah this compressor is definitely quite a bit of fun. It can go from, "What on Earth is this doing to my sound?!?!" to "You know that actually sounds really freakin' sweet!".

Excellent job Quinto!
nox ad umbras lucem misit.
KVRian

1062 posts since 6 Nov, 2002, from where moose mate, mate

Postby pekadan; Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:30 am

quintosardo wrote:...

I might be going out on a limb here, but how about implementing variable stereo linking in a future version of the C165a? There are few compressors/limiters on the market that have this useful feature and I think it'd be a killer addition! Then again, maybe this is quite hard to implement (I wouldn't know) and/or maybe it's "just plain wrong", since the C165a is an emulation. (Personally I prefer when software emulations extend the functionality of the original hardware, rather than stick to being exact copies).
KVRian

788 posts since 24 Jul, 2008, from North-West England

Postby audiosabre; Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:40 am

This is really decent :band:

If Quinto keeps making plugins of this calibre he's going to take over this gig.

Honestly, the sound is absolutely superb & GUI direction is improving all the time.

Well done...
Pretty Boy Johnny
Image Image
KVRist

129 posts since 8 Nov, 2008, from Prague

Postby Masr; Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:35 am

Just bought this and it is really fantastic. My best drum group and bass compressor. Highly recommended. 8)
Marek
KVRist

255 posts since 31 Aug, 2012

Postby lacandon; Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:53 am

Waiting the new update with the external sidechain option essential for tech house i guess. Otherwise this compressor is the best in the plugin world till now.This sounds punchier whatever u crank it ! Quinto is it possible the oversampling to be like rest hq now, render, etc ?
KVRAF

Postby quintosardo; Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:26 pm

I'm not sure the oversampling as an option is so useful with compressors... it is such an important thing for the transient character... it is a different compressor...
KVRist

255 posts since 31 Aug, 2012

Postby lacandon; Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:54 pm

quintosardo wrote:I'm not sure the oversampling as an option is so useful with compressors... it is such an important thing for the transient character... it is a different compressor...

Surely u know better ur things and i trust on it ! Just waiting the external options whatever the update it comes.Already slapped on last tune this beast i push and push and still i hear music ! Very nice
KVRAF

Postby quintosardo; Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:15 am

Glad you like it :D
An update with the external sidechain is coming...
KVRer

13 posts since 30 Mar, 2002, from Poland

Postby dr_After; Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:46 am

quintosardo wrote:Glad you like it :D
An update with the external sidechain is coming...

Will You make bg noise optional? I really like the way compressor works, but I would gladly turn this hiss off.
medium is the message
KVRian

1278 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:01 am

i've been owning this compressor since it was released but i still can't wrap my head around how it actually works :-) every now and then i stumble upon a setting i love the sound of, but i have completely no clue of how i got there. this isn't your typical compressor, i must say...
From Russia with love
KVRian

635 posts since 2 Jan, 2012, from Alberta, Canada

Postby Brother Charles; Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:49 pm

Hmmm . . Quinto, I agree with other customers concerning making the oversampling optional. On my 2nd generation i3 laptop, all of this 4x oversampling is causing me to refrain from using some of your plugins. They sound great, but the demands are very taxing on my system. Even if I were using an i5 laptop, I'm pretty sure these plugins would be taxing on system resources. Making the oversampling optional will be greatly appreciated and extremely useful.

The option of HQ 4x oversampling on rendering, would really set your plugins apart from the crowd. Just my 2 cents from a customer with an "average" laptop.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook
PreviousNext

Moderator: quintosardo

Return to SKNote