Diversion 1.2 is out and goes on sale

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Crackbaby wrote:Lovely chill-out tune!

I love how you mixed guitars and synths together .. well done! :tu:
Ow shucks, thanks...

Diversion is an inspiring synth and at the current price a no-brainer.

It seems like one of those best kept secrets but I find it more useful then many of the main street synths.

Just a great synth all around.

sches wrote:Wow, that's very nice tune, thanks for it PatchAdamz!
And a big thank you for your brilliant Diversion my friend.

sches wrote:Hello, I'm proud to say that Diversion 1.2 has released. The major feature is new Wavetable Editor:

The Wavetable editor allows loading arbitrary single-cycle WAV-files and editing its shape and spectrum. Also it provides a set of effects and functions. If you have your custom waveform banks then you could easy use and edit them in Diversion.
As a fan of wavetable synthesis (like e.g. in Waldorf synths) i don't know if it's a good idea to call this a "wavetable editor". A wavetable implies that you could scan through different waveforms with e.g. envelope or LFO modulation.

In synths like e.g. Synthmaster 2.5 you could load up to 16 single cycle waveforms that create a wavetable with interpolations/crossfading in realtime and you could scan trough this wavetable with e.g. an envelope, a LFO or the Step LFO (= "wave sequencing").

Maybe something like "Waveform editor" or "Resynthesis" are better terms for the implementation in Diversion.

Anyway besides that i think it's cool that you could edit either the waveform or the spectrum with the editor in Diversion. In other synths like e.g. Alchemy you could only edit the partials and in Cableguys Curve you could only edit the waveform but both together seems to be quite new AFAIK.
The implementation in Diversion reminds me a bit of the additive editor in ImpOSCar 2 but with lots more partials which is nice.

With this editor Diversion got much more interesting for me and could be on my list for a future purchase. At the moment i got enough work with other synths like e.g. the upcoming Tone2 Rayblaster, ElectraX and others.
For creating waveforms from scratch i currently use either DNR Wave Designer, Cableyguys Curve or Cameleon 5000 (for additive/resynthesis needs).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Hey guys, there was a small bug with opening old projects. In some cases after installation of version 1.2 you may not be able to open your projects with previous version of the plugin. Now the bug is fixed, if you have such problems then please re-download the plugin from the website, now all works fine.

Thanks Bjorn for the sounds, I love your psycho tunes!

Hey Ingo, probably you are right, although "Wavetable" doesn't imply a set of waveforms and term "Wavetable Editor" means exactly what does it mean, it allows to edit the content of the table. Not only waveform, but spectrum. Anyway the current implementation is the beginning of something more complex. It will be added morphing between different waveforms with few operation mode, XY controls will perform additional effects. And few things more. It's not a quick task to make all of those features.

sches wrote: Hey Ingo, probably you are right, although "Wavetable" doesn't imply a set of waveforms and term "Wavetable Editor" means exactly what does it mean, it allows to edit the content of the table. Not only waveform, but spectrum. Anyway the current implementation is the beginning of something more complex. It will be added morphing between different waveforms with few operation mode, XY controls will perform additional effects. And few things more. It's not a quick task to make all of those features.
Hi Dimitry,

maybe it's just me but when i hear "wavetable" i always think about the implementation in the way it is done in the PPG Wave or Waldorf synths.

Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavetable_synthesis

I would call the way how your editor works a combination of "additive resynthesis" and waveform drawing. Basically your editor uses a basic additive synthesis (editing the spectrum of a singe waveform is nothing else than that...) and the difference to a full featured additive synth (like e.g. Alchemy or Cameleon 5000) is that in this case you could not modulate the amplitude and/or pitch of each partial with it's own envelope (which is why additive synthesis could be very complex).

Anyway i think your editor is quite advanced as you could edit both the waveform or the spectrum (+ other interesting tools) and in combination with waveform morphing or "real" wavetable scanning it could become very powerful.

I just thought about a dedicated additive synth where you could edit both the partials or the waveform but i don't remember one yet...

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Hi Sches,

Great update, thanks a lot!

I don't know if it has been reported before, but doing a factory reset (Menu -> Factory Reset) reliably crashes Reaper and Studio One v2 here.

My specs:
- Windows 8 Pro x64
- Reaper 4.30 x64 / Studio One 2.0.7 x64
- Diversion 1.2 x64 (latest version, just downloaded)
- Traktor Audio 2 with latest drivers

If you need more information, let me know.

Regards,
Andre

removed
Last edited by Crackbaby on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:hug:

GMoneh wrote:Excellent! I've been waiting for this sale for some time, so grabbed it a few minutes ago... can't pass it up at this price...
Lotuzia wrote: Awsome :tu:
So what about a soundset or two for Diversion, Lotuzia? :wink:
Could be , at some time :)

I like this synth.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

zerocrossing wrote:Oh this is good news indeed. I've had my eye on this for a while but the CPU's a bit steep for my old machine
In the same boat.

Totally convinced by sound, features and workflow, trouble is i cant really use it on this machine since even moderately complex sounds have the potential to cause a core breach. :(

Anyhow, i have some feedback regardless. Dmitry, remember that X/Y windows bug i reported (and you eliminated) very early on? Well its back in the waveform editor, i.e. as soon as i click in the window and start dragging, the core Diversion is running on hits Warp-10. Since it is showing the exact same behaviour, maybe it is the same problem again?

I have also noticed some problems with the 'keys' settings.

(Come to think of it, i guess i had reported a problem with that before too.)

- 1 Voice - Diversion does not retrigger

- 2 Voices - No polyphony, no retrigger either

- 3 Voices - Polyphony now works (2 voices), retrigger now working too.

So it looks like there is no difference between 1 and 2 voices, and 3 voices really is 2 voices. 4 voices seems to be 3 voices, and so forth. So if i were to guess i would say that there is some kind of shift in the assignment list, although that wouldnt explain the nonfunctional retriggering in 1-voice mode.

Alright, download works ... was my download manager suddenly not wanting to play along :?

Ingo, it makes sense what you are talking about, but our terms related conversation can lead us far away from the topic and I'm not sure that it's so important. If you don't mind we would keep the name as it is...

Thanks ENV1, paterpeter for the feedback. I'll check all of these asap. I'll let you know very soon.

It's not so much about how complex the sounds are, more about the oversampling multiplier. Though the more osc fx and FM you use, the risk is higher that you'll need to oversample to handle aliasing. Sometimes it's cool with the aliasing though .. it all depends on what sound character you're after!

Try the demo for a spin (if you haven't) and see how much your computer can handle. Unison naturally also increases the strain. I think it doubles the entire engine apart from the FX section so it's a multiplier there as well. Personally i have never gone beyond two unisoned voices. I like two for the stereo spread!
The Bus can be in poly or mono mode. In poly there will be one bus running for each voice. The distortion will be polyphonic in poly mode but in mono it will be just like you slapped on a stompbox at the end.
Polyphonic distortion is not very common among synths. Usually there's a filter drive which will be polyphonic but that's it. With all the different (7?) types you can get a LOT of characters just from that little tool.

Naturally i would prefer if you went for Diversion as i find Dmitry to be a very good friend. He IS a very nice and tolerant person from the soon to be frosty landscapes of Belarus :)
But the reason why i fell for Diversion from the start is that you get to paint the sounds (with knobs) compared to the other older kinds of synthesis. If you want more 'purr' you increase one osc fx, more mad? turn up the FM, more grit? turn up the buzz! It's not like the age old pulse width modulation, while still as nice as it's always been, this is another way to create the heart of the sounds. And that's JUST the start. After the osc section you have some crazy filters and effects. All things can be modulated by a simpler rightclick.. It's so fast and easy that most other synths seem like they're stuck in the stoneage :lol:

Ok, so sometimes i get stuck writing :oops: Ill stop :)

+1 :-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Hi Dmitry,

thanks for the update. :)
I'd like to report a (small) issue running Diversion as a standalone via SAVIHost. It might not be related to Diversion at all, maybe it's more
an issue with SAVIhost... ?

Anyway...I can't see the changes in the wavetable editor, while changing
any knob. I have to switch to the Spectrum View and then back to see the changes.
I did a test whereafter inside Cubase and also NI Kore, but here it works like expected, the changes are instantly visible.

tested with both x86 and x64 versions on Win Vista x64 SP2

Cheers

Thanks Dmitry for the nice update. Will be exploring it further, And I'm glad you had both spectrum and wave editing in there, make good sense.

By the way, I've added 18 new presets to my soundbank, all previous customers will get it for free. Here are few of them, this time concentrating on Distortion and harshness, some crazy things. Only Diversion is used, nothing more.

http://soundcloud.com/s0lo/new-presets- ... ersion-1-3

bank link: http://www.solostuff.net/sounddesign/

Return to “Instruments”