i dont know anything about mixdowns plz help?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey guys i have no idea how to do a mixdown. i dont know where to start and i dont know what to do in one. everyone always says find a place in the spectrum for your instruments but i dont get what that means. i know doing a proper mix is hard work and im not gonna get it in one try but if anyone has any advice to get me going or any links that would help me so much because right now i am completly lost.

P.S. i dont know if this makes a difference but the way i produce is i like to get thru the arrangement dirst and then start my mix. i know there are people who like to do the mix and master as they produe but i like to get the track done first then start the mix. anyways thanks for anything and happy thanksgiving.

everyone always says find a place in the spectrum for your instruments but i dont get what that means.
It means that as a rule of thumb you should avoid too much overlap in frequency spectrum between instruments. That way the distinctions between instruments will stay clear.

Image google mixing frequency chart and you'll find lots of diagrams that show what range of frequencies each instrument makes, what subjective effects different bands of frequencies produce (warmth, presence, shrillness, et cetera). Some of the diagrams come with advice on how to improve specific instruments by equalizing one or more bands.

ktherazor wrote:P.S. i dont know if this makes a difference but the way i produce is i like to get thru the arrangement dirst and then start my mix. i know there are people who like to do the mix and master as they produe but i like to get the track done first then start the mix. anyways thanks for anything and happy thanksgiving.
how do you start mixing if you don't know what it is?

read Roey Izhaki's 'Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices, and Tools'

Hi,
I don't want to make anoher thread nad I think it fits here. The question is how should good mix look like on spectrum imager? Can you post some screen or can you tell me which shape the curve should have? thanks

Jakewell wrote:how should good mix look like on spectrum imager?
Well, take what you consider is a good mix, and have a look for yourself :-P

OK, I'll tell you: lots of bass, gentle sloping off to the highs. But looks isn't everything. From a spectrograph plot you cannot tell weather it sounds good or not. Use your EARS for that.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

thank you im looking that up right now thanks. and my mixdown i ususally just turn the volume up or down and thats my mixdown basically.

ktherazor wrote:and my mixdown i ususally just turn the volume up or down and thats my mixdown basically.
You should try using EQ on each track. Remove frequencies in some spaces to make room for another instrument. Makes a world of difference...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

alright thanks for the tip man appreciate it

Return to “Production Techniques”