Music without the right "artist" is dead

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tricky-Loops wrote:
dalor wrote:
itsDavidAbraham wrote:Take your best production, put a talented local singer on it. It goes nowhere,

put Rihanna on it, Same lyrics same melodies.

It goes everywhere and you're rich.
Almost. You forgot one step: On sundays play golf with Sony Music CEO Doug Morris and THEN you're rich.
Works only for young pretty girlz... :wink:
Us ugly butts don't stand a chance..... :cry: :shock: :D :D :D
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
dalor wrote:
itsDavidAbraham wrote:Take your best production, put a talented local singer on it. It goes nowhere,

Almost. You forgot one step: On sundays play golf with Sony Music CEO Doug Morris and THEN you're rich.
Works only for young pretty girlz... :wink:
Us ugly butts don't stand a chance..... :cry: :shock: :D :D :D
Thats what deadmau5 and daft punk must have thought of themselves and found a workaround :hihi:
Cowbells!

that's not MUSIC, it's called "softcore". :)
"For some reason everyone on this site hates Roger Nichols, loves Zebra, doesn't need a Virus (unless it's TI), uses Reaper, and thinks the Kaoss pad is cool: remember these rules and you'll be popular." (blackboyrockinit)

A.M. Gold wrote:Except no one feeds Rihanna any decent songs.
She's had a few, of course she's only one of many artists that can sell almost anything now...there's the Biebster and also Katy Perry...who's songs I actually love

I love Rhianna. And she's one of the few out there who can actually sing.
She was on SNL a couple of weeks ago and was amazing. I think I know what you're getting at though. She's someone who's 'got it'. You just can't take your eyes off of her when she's performing.
And she loves to perform. I'm sure if you found someone like that you could 'make' them a star.
The thing about Rhianna is she's smart enough to corral the best songwriters and producers around.
I doubt she could do a version of, say - Zippity -Doo- Da and it would be a hit....

Tight Snare wrote:
We do not complain that the heavily marketed and branded instant 'meal' based on noodles and a plastic pot is destroying cuisine. This is because we understand it is not supposed to compete with traditional noodle dishes - or any other form of genuine and 'serious' cuisine.
That depends upon who 'we' is. There are many very serious people who think that instant food is destroying serious eating, and there are many people who think that the best food in the world is McDonalds.

IOW we understand that 'food' takes many forms ...... from the heavily processed, convenience snack food which is nutritionally worthless - to real home baked scrummy dish with fresh ingredients, prepared and cooked by a genuine foodie.

But with 'music' we have yet to fully and properly make that distinction.
This I tend to agree with. The purposes, methods and aesthetics of these different kinds of music are quite distinct. The problem is that, for many people, 'commercially produced musical entertainment' is completely synonymous with 'music', the art form. Just look through some of the threads here about experimental or avant-garde music to find all kinds of pop-star-producer-wannabes and their enablers snickering rudely at the notion of making interesting music that isn't commercial. You will see, ad nauseum, the same accusations over and over again: "people who make this crap just can't write or sing a tune LOL" or "This is just trying to appeal to cooler-than-thou dipshits who really like Rihanna but pretend not to LOL".
The problem is our definitions of 'music' (et al) have not kept up with 21st century changes.
I agree, but 'Music' was an overstretched concept long before the internet.

I like Rhianna...
I LOVE Florence and The Machine.
Feel better.

osiris wrote: The thing about Rhianna is she's smart enough to corral the best songwriters and producers around.
I doubt she could do a version of, say - Zippity -Doo- Da and it would be a hit....
You know what I think she could. With the right beat and Lil' Wayne on a feature. They could take that into all kinds of directions

itsDavidAbraham wrote:
osiris wrote: The thing about Rhianna is she's smart enough to corral the best songwriters and producers around.
You know what I think she could. With the right beat and Lil' Wayne on a feature. They could take that into all kinds of directions
She'll do that kinda thing when she's over the hill and goes Disney to save her career. :hihi:
Maybe a remake of Mary Poppins with a 45-year-old Rihanna in the title role? Lil' Wayne could do the Dick van Dyke part.

this have really nothing to do with the singer/"artist". you oversimplify and confuse the issue.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:
this have really nothing to do with the singer/"artist". you oversimplify and confuse the issue.
I don't think so but I'm open to alternative opinions, what's your take on it?

herodotus wrote:
Tight Snare wrote:
We do not complain that the heavily marketed and branded instant 'meal' based on noodles and a plastic pot is destroying cuisine. This is because we understand it is not supposed to compete with traditional noodle dishes - or any other form of genuine and 'serious' cuisine.
That depends upon who 'we' is. There are many very serious people who think that instant food is destroying serious eating, and there are many people who think that the best food in the world is McDonalds.
Destroying eating habits maybe...... but not destroying the art of cooking per se, because we understand that fast food has nothing to do with the art of cooking.

But I think we basically agree - I'm just being pedantic :)

Reading these comments, I don't know how anyone can like Rhianna (I'm not suggesting you do). I've nothing against slick, over produced, image based pop.... (just like I've nothing against pot noodles) .... but the 'energy' is just so bad with brand Rhianna it always hits me in the face like a giant fart.

She's obviously one of those acts which is being used to brainwash the youth. And for all the 'coincidence theorists' out there I would say this: if popular entertainment wasn't being used to indoctrinate the youth today then it would be the first time in history!

I mean come one ..... even Hitler would have found this a bit OTT :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I17r-Re9yOI

Holy frickin' Godwin!

Tight Snare wrote:
She's obviously one of those acts which is being used to brainwash the youth. And for all the 'coincidence theorists' out there I would say this: if popular entertainment wasn't being used to indoctrinate the youth today then it would be the first time in history!

I mean come one ..... even Hitler would have found this a bit OTT :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I17r-Re9yOI
I see it the other way around. The pop acts are a reflection of what the youth have become.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”