What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  
KVRist

268 posts since 7 Aug, 2010, from London, UK

Postby iamyourfather; Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:33 am *solved* but Q. about .aaz files save location ?

As it says, when I open a project file in reaper, my saved user presets in alchemy are giving the message about cannot find .aaz file. I've not run into this problem before really but then I only just started really getting into the additive side of things where Alchemy asks to save as soon as you start creating a patch. I am saving in the user folder of the presets folder in programdata, this is the default so I am not sure what the problem is.

Don't have this problem with granular and sample patches as far as I can remember. What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by iamyourfather on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVRist

Postby iamyourfather; Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:06 pm

OK so I got around this by just manually loading the preset when opening the project. I think thi maybe what is supposed to happen anyway due to the whole 1mb limit per plugin stated on the FAQs.

What is really getting on my nerves now is that Alchemy keeps asking me

"please select a location and filename for supporting data files" but I've already done that when I created the patch, and even more irritating is that you can't just cancel it, it keep popping back up like some irritating child asking "are we there yet?"

Why is it asking me this when I already saved the patch in the user folder ?
KVRist

Postby iamyourfather; Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:36 pm

*solved* for the moment

After some trawling around reaper forum I found out I need to increase the max chunk size in the config.txt. Just hoping it doesn't crash now
I do love Alchemy, but it's file handling is rather irritating and complicated. I'm sure there are reason for this tho, so nevermind.

:)
KVRian

767 posts since 13 Jun, 2006, from Cornwall, UK

Postby MWSOS; Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Hello iamyourfather!

Sorry you've been having problems - here's an explanation of what's been going on, so you (and anyone else who has similar issues) understand the issues.

1. If opening a project file in any VSTi host results in any of your saved Alchemy user presets giving you a message that it cannot find an .aaz file, this is usually because you haven't saved those aaz files in the same folder as the preset they relate to, although there could be other possibilities including accidentally installing Alchemy twice into two different folders (which would thoroughly confuse it :?)

2. If you get a message asking you to Please choose a filename and location for supporting data files... this is because you are attempting to save a song file that contains more than 1MB of additive or spectral analysis data. We implement the 1MB limit per plugin because some host applications just cannot store more than this.

3. Manually changing the value in your Alchemy config.txt from the default of MaxChunkSize= 1048576 (which equates to 1MB) to some higher value means that you are then relying on your host to save more than 1MB. Some will do it successfully (such as Reaper, as you've already found), but others including Logic and GarageBand may crash when you attempt save a song with a higher value, so take care when tweaking! :scared:

So so you could say it's the host applications than can complicate file handling rather than Alchemy ;)

Hope this helps!

Martin
KVRist

Postby iamyourfather; Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:01 am

Thanks for the confirmation, it seems to be a limitation of host rather than Alchemy.. that's fair (thankfully reaper seems to handle changing the max chunk size ok). I read on reaper forums that the devs there thought it may even be the undo that was triggering the constant "please select " msgs. Either way it's ok ATM.

One question tho. You say that a problem can arise from .aaz files not being stored in the correct folder. Well when I save a user preset in the user folder, I see only .acp files and they are just a few kb in size... I see no .aaz files despite the fact that I select the same folder for both the initial request of "Please choose a filename and location for supporting data files..." when starting an add/spec preset and the final save upon completing it then closing the project (I manually save each add spec prest before closing project to be sure).

Can you tell me what is going on here ? It seems there is something wrong here, if as you say, .aaz files should be in the same preset folder as the .acp.

KVRian

767 posts since 13 Jun, 2006, from Cornwall, UK

Postby MWSOS; Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:41 pm

iamyourfather wrote:Either way it's ok ATM.

Hi again iamyourfather,

That's excellent news :wink:

iamyourfather wrote:One question tho. You say that a problem can arise from .aaz files not being stored in the correct folder. Well when I save a user preset in the user folder, I see only .acp files and they are just a few kb in size... I see no .aaz files despite the fact that I select the same folder for both the initial request of "Please choose a filename and location for supporting data files..." when starting an add/spec preset and the final save upon completing it then closing the project (I manually save each add spec prest before closing project to be sure).

Can you tell me what is going on here ? It seems there is something wrong here, if as you say, .aaz files should be in the same preset folder as the .acp.

What normally happens when you're creating a preset containing additive or spectral data is that you choose the Import Audio for one or more of the Sources. When you click on OK this analyzes and then resynthesize the sound file(s) you've chosen, but no data is saved at this point.

However, when you next use Save or Save As on your preset, the associated .aaz data file(s) will get saved at the same time as the .acp file, with a filename that default to the name of the source file you've previously analyzed.

Hope this helps!

Martin
KVRist

Postby iamyourfather; Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Sure, but WHERE to the .aaz files get saved, because I only see .acp fles in the folder after I have saved the preset ?

KVRAF

10136 posts since 18 Jun, 2008, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby ZenPunkHippy; Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:33 pm

iamyourfather wrote:Sure, but WHERE to the .aaz files get saved, because I only see .acp fles in the folder after I have saved the preset ?

The AAZ files should always be saved to the same folder as the preset. If that is not happening there may be a bug to deal with, but AFAIK this has been working in all releases.

Where are you importing the files from? Which folder are you saving the preset to?

Peace,
Andy.
KVRist

Postby iamyourfather; Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:00 am

OK I've figured it out. It turns out that the .aaz files are there, but you can only see them if you look at the preset folder from Windows, if you look in the folder from within Alchemy, you can't see them. Now I've looked again, you can't see the .acp files either, just AAC for SD. I apologise if this is obvious, but I have found this rather confusing :)

One thing I would ask, with all these files for just one preset (potentially depending on preset) should I be creating a new folder for each preset ? Makes it kind of an ordeal if you looking through my presets from the load page... or is that something I should be doing in the browser ?

God I'm terrible at functional stuff :/

cheers IAYF
KVRAF

2657 posts since 17 Sep, 2001, from Edinburgh, Scotland

Postby Ben [Camel Audio]; Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:27 am

OK I've figured it out. It turns out that the .aaz files are there, but you can only see them if you look at the preset folder from Windows

Great - glad the mystery is solved :)

One thing I would ask, with all these files for just one preset (potentially depending on preset) should I be creating a new folder for each preset ?

No - there's no reason to create a new folder for each preset and I wouldn't recommend it. All files are named similarly so its easy to spot which files belong together, and you can always use the Save Consolidated or Save CamelSounds options if you want to save a preset and all the files it references including both AAZs and WAVs in a single folder or file.

Cheers
Ben

Moderators: ZenPunkHippy, ugo, biomechanoid, Ben [Camel Audio]

Return to Camel Audio