What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

i dont know anything about mixdowns plz help?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

ktherazor
KVRer

5 posts since 15 Sep, 2012

Postby ktherazor; Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:42 pm i dont know anything about mixdowns plz help?

hey guys i have no idea how to do a mixdown. i dont know where to start and i dont know what to do in one. everyone always says find a place in the spectrum for your instruments but i dont get what that means. i know doing a proper mix is hard work and im not gonna get it in one try but if anyone has any advice to get me going or any links that would help me so much because right now i am completly lost.

P.S. i dont know if this makes a difference but the way i produce is i like to get thru the arrangement dirst and then start my mix. i know there are people who like to do the mix and master as they produe but i like to get the track done first then start the mix. anyways thanks for anything and happy thanksgiving.
Meffy
Skunk Mod

20423 posts since 10 Jun, 2004, from Pony Pasture

Postby Meffy; Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:26 pm

everyone always says find a place in the spectrum for your instruments but i dont get what that means.

It means that as a rule of thumb you should avoid too much overlap in frequency spectrum between instruments. That way the distinctions between instruments will stay clear.

Image google mixing frequency chart and you'll find lots of diagrams that show what range of frequencies each instrument makes, what subjective effects different bands of frequencies produce (warmth, presence, shrillness, et cetera). Some of the diagrams come with advice on how to improve specific instruments by equalizing one or more bands.
elnn
KVRist

240 posts since 4 Nov, 2011, from Teal

Postby elnn; Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:46 am

ktherazor wrote:P.S. i dont know if this makes a difference but the way i produce is i like to get thru the arrangement dirst and then start my mix. i know there are people who like to do the mix and master as they produe but i like to get the track done first then start the mix. anyways thanks for anything and happy thanksgiving.

how do you start mixing if you don't know what it is?

read Roey Izhaki's 'Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices, and Tools'
Jakewell
KVRist

113 posts since 28 Aug, 2012

Postby Jakewell; Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:50 am

Hi,
I don't want to make anoher thread nad I think it fits here. The question is how should good mix look like on spectrum imager? Can you post some screen or can you tell me which shape the curve should have? thanks
BertKoor
KVRAF

8302 posts since 8 Mar, 2005, from Utrecht, Holland

Postby BertKoor; Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:45 am

Jakewell wrote:how should good mix look like on spectrum imager?
Well, take what you consider is a good mix, and have a look for yourself :-P

OK, I'll tell you: lots of bass, gentle sloping off to the highs. But looks isn't everything. From a spectrograph plot you cannot tell weather it sounds good or not. Use your EARS for that.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!
ktherazor
KVRer

Postby ktherazor; Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:29 pm

thank you im looking that up right now thanks. and my mixdown i ususally just turn the volume up or down and thats my mixdown basically.
BertKoor
KVRAF

8302 posts since 8 Mar, 2005, from Utrecht, Holland

Postby BertKoor; Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:38 am

ktherazor wrote:and my mixdown i ususally just turn the volume up or down and thats my mixdown basically.
You should try using EQ on each track. Remove frequencies in some spaces to make room for another instrument. Makes a world of difference...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!
ktherazor
KVRer

Postby ktherazor; Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:23 pm

alright thanks for the tip man appreciate it

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Production Techniques