Mackie MR8 Mk2

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

Did any one around heard Mackies MR8 Mk2 in action? are they worth buying? how do they compare to the other low-mid range monitors?

Thanks in advance :)

Have them for two months now. Previously I had EMU PM5 with a PS12 sub. I'm very happy with the Mackies. Very clean sound, great transients, good stereo image and instrument separation. If you have right room, the lows can go down to 36hz. I bought them after comparing it with HS80 and KRK RP8 in the shop. What I know for sure is that I would never buy rokits. My reaction was similar to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cql6w1tSO6I
The HS80's are harsher to me and they might be better for rock music, where 3-4Khz range is so critical. With electronic music I want just flat response and mackies are great here.
I wish I could compare them side by side to genelecs, adams or hr824.

I recently listened to the MR8s. I compared them to the Yamahas and Rokits. I was very impressed and will be upgrading soon (from M-Audio BX5-2). I've been buying a lot of Mackie stuff lately. Solid manufacturer.

ehhhhhhhhh.... bought a pair and one monitor was totally damaged. Hightone speaker dead, and low-midtone had unbelievable distortion and signal interruptions :( Not to mention that low-mid speaker was very ugly glued near the dust cap. Quality control in china sucks.

Although the sound from the second working monitor was very pleasant. I can even say that the bass response was pretty dynamic and controlled in some ways (eg. editing kicks was straightforward and detailed).

I think that the times of quality-solid products are just passing away. There is so high failure rate in todays electronics that there is always some level of anxiety in buying anything. There are just more and more questions: how long will it last? and in gneral - will it operate straight out of the box :|

...in spite of all i still want those speakers very badly :D Ill just wait and fight for an exchange for a new one. Hope they wont send me the "repaired" one back :P

I was about to write in my previous response:

If you buy them online, make sure the staff checks it before shipping - I've read couple reviews of people that are extremely happy with them but they had to exchange one or both before they got properly working ones.

But I thought "Oh maybe its just couple unfortunate cases". Well, Mackie apparently has quality control problems with them and anyone considering them should check the pair they're buying.

But still they're fantastic speakers for their price.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”