Fragile Gods - "Decoded Dreams" (final mix)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the first track I have posted here. It's a weird, minimal track with spoken vocals that I might classify as tech-noir. Any feedback is appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/fragilegods/decodeddreams

Fragile Gods "Decoded Dreams" (320kbps / 8.2MB)

DAWs: Rax'n'Trax, Samplitude
Synths: TAL-U-NO-LX, Z3TA+ 2, Korg Mono/Poly, Audjoo Helix, Tattoo
Effects: Lexicon PCM 81, Valhalla (Room, UberMod, FreqEcho), The Glue, The Drop, and various Samplitude effects

Edited: New mix uploaded on Dec 2 which attempts to improve the vocals.
Last edited by Frantz on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Interesting piece FrantzM... nice twisty backdrop for the dark voice. I probably would have effed up the voice a bit, but that's me. Enjoyed it! :)
Image Image

polyslax wrote:Interesting piece FrantzM... nice twisty backdrop for the dark voice. I probably would have effed up the voice a bit, but that's me. Enjoyed it! :)
+1

Seems it lacks a bit of bass too. Or maybe its the genre that requires that ?

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

polyslax wrote:Interesting piece FrantzM... nice twisty backdrop for the dark voice. I probably would have effed up the voice a bit, but that's me. Enjoyed it! :)
Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to keep the vocals somewhat intelligible but could certainly process them more in a second mix.

Lotuzia wrote: Seems it lacks a bit of bass too. Or maybe its the genre that requires that ?
I wasn't thinking in terms of modern electronic music with everything super loud and booming bass. Nevertheless, I may have another go at this adding more bass.

I'm not sure if there is an exact genre for this. I seem to be operating in my own weird space. :)

Thanks.

I like it, very cool idea! Thinking maybe some glitchiness in spots on the vocals might work well too.

Cheers and bring us some more vocals! :hihi:

This is a very cool track. I don't think it needs more bass at all. The vocals sound great and really, it just stands out from other tracks.

mr.me wrote:I like it, very cool idea! Thinking maybe some glitchiness in spots on the vocals might work well too.
Thanks! Another vote for more processed vocals.
mr.me wrote: Cheers and bring us some more vocals! :hihi:
Be careful what you wish for. After you hear some more of my vocals, you may be requesting instrumentals. :D

Shangsean wrote:This is a very cool track. I don't think it needs more bass at all. The vocals sound great and really, it just stands out from other tracks.
Thanks Sean! One vote for leaving the mix "as is."

I like the arp synth that plays the main sequence on here. That repeating motif is slightly off-kilter and that adds to the creepy vibes that are generated by this track. I quite like the vocals as they are. If you do add some bass to this it doesn't need to be anything overpowering. Just enough to fill that space a little.

Good work :)

seismic1 wrote:I like the arp synth that plays the main sequence on here. That repeating motif is slightly off-kilter and that adds to the creepy vibes that are generated by this track.
I am glad you and polyslax noticed it. That synth is the TAL-U-NO-LX. It's an eighth note riff which is triggering a sixteenth note arp. The output is being sent to a delay patch on my hardware Lexicon PCM 81. The delay time on the PCM 81 is being modulated by an LFO. (The PCM 81 has the unusual ability to change delay times without audio glitches.) The filter on the TAL-U-NO-LX is also getting slowly swept by an LFO. These LFOs are out of sync with each other so it never sounds the same twice. I recorded a lot of versions of this part to find one that sounded good and wasn't too distracting.
seismic1 wrote:I quite like the vocals as they are. If you do add some bass to this it doesn't need to be anything overpowering. Just enough to fill that space a little.
It sounds like you are leaning towards the leave it as is camp. I appreciate the feedback.

Mr. Me has generously done this radical remix:

http://soundcloud.com/fragilegods/decod ... hing-scary

Fragile Gods / Mr. Me "Decoded Dreams (something scary mix)" (256kbps / 6.8MB)

He really went to town on this. Fun and surprising. Make sure your loved ones are in a safe place before playing it. :o

If anyone else wants to have a go at remixing this, PM me. I have all tracks as MP3s.

What just happened? :shock:

Good work mr.me

the music sounds kind of 'happy' to me, the arpy bit bouncing around and the bell/vibes tones, but the voice is kind of ominous...decoded mist woman midnight floating ...sounds dreamlike.

and mr me :-o ...that bass drum sounds tympanic now....much madder, itchy and scratchy sounds.

interesting stuff :)

kinda twilight zoney. good mix but am i the only one that feels the vocals could use some deessing? it kinda distracted the overall groove for me. :shrug:

the mr. me remix was a brain trip!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Music Cafe”