Trash 2 vs Saturn - which would you choose?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm demoing Trash 2 and Saturn and I keep going back and forth between the two. I can't decide!

Which one do you like better and why?
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

Oh wait, that was a different thread :cool:
... space is the place ...

Ignoring my poor attempt at humour for just a moment ... FabFilter Saturn is a killer plugin, the sound is excellent. I have Trash 1 and it's also very good, but prefer the FabFilter GUI style FWIW.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Cowbells!

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Image

Oh wait, that was a different thread :cool:
LOL!!! That was AWESOME!! HAHAH!!!

Yeah, I like how simple and easy Saturn is to use, love the undo functionality, and the mid/side processing is plus (As you know from my other thread I'm getting into mid/side more and more :-)

Trash has more going on in a single plugin though - two filter sections, convolution (which is actually very cool when you load your own interesting IRs), more controlled dynamics section, delay etc.

I guess all the extras in Trash though can be done with additional plugins as well, but there is something said about quickly trying a delay, convolution, etc right in the same window when sound shaping...

GRRR... guess I'll have to demo them some more, but would love to hear more feedback from users.

Still laughing here at that picture Zen, haha!! Well done.
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

Saturn + CamelPhat for me.

Personally, I would go for Maul, Saturn, Trash 2, Ohmicide, Kombinat DVA, and Camelphat.
I'm kidding a little, of course, but not really. They all offer their own take distortion and sound markedly different from each other. I will say this, though: I've only had it for a few days, but I think I will end up using Trash 2 the most.

Saturn: subtle distortion, great sound, interesting and unique "smear" algo, great workflow, awesome modulation options. Partially owing to these, it's a good dynamics tool, as well. Limited number of algos, even sounds pretty when it gets ugly (plus or minus, depending on your pov). Tape saturation not very realistic to my ears, ditto for guitars.

Trash 2: Obviously much more versatile in the pure distortion department, although too many options can be a downside. I think the waveshaper editor is way more than a gimmick, because you can really fine-tune the sound. Convolution, with a good selection of amp and completely whacko IRs. Great filters (vowel, screaming!). Nomen est omen: Trash can sound like trash pretty quickly, but used judiciously, it can do subtle very well. Not the king of modulation hill, but sufficient. I really like Izotope's clear-cut UIs, but YMMV. Most important for me: it rocks, cause it can turn a piccolo flute into a coterie of howling banshees.

Alternatively, just get the Sausage Fattener and be done with it. ;)

Saturn for me.
Ease of use and the GUI.
Camelphat and Ohmicide are nice too,for different flavours.

Where Saturn excels is in the subtle approach. It's a really really useful tool to spice up a drumloop or a bassline, as a dirty compressor rather than a distortion unit.
By the looks of it it's some more versatile than Trash in that regard. It depends on the effects you're after really.

I'm in the same place. And for the first time I'm giving a shot at 4 different plugs at once. ABCDing them in my host with a variety of sounds.

The verdict isn't out yet. And I have until the 6th of December to decide whether I want Trash 2 or one of the others. Saturns GUI and UI is quite stunning. I sense though if I had to choose one and only one then I'd go with Trash 2 as it has the convolution, the waveshaper, powerful dynamics. Would that be the right solution for me? I don't know.. if it's more fun to work with Saturn might be something I'd get into using more..

Before I had heard about Trash 2 I wasn't even in the market for a distortion plug, I have Guitar Rig, Uhbik's various plugs alone and in combination can do a lot of distortion effects. My synths, like Chromaphone, and Iris, have decent distortion on board...

So I'm into this debate soley because of the Trash 2 release.

Now when I try all the possiblities I'm definetely not interested in ending up with 3 distortion plugs.. It's basically Trash 2 now, or wait for the impuls or inspiration to buy one of the others at a later date..

But I'll try all of them Ohmicide, Maul, Saturn, Trash until the 5th of December then decide if Trash 2 is my one and only plug in purchase in December!

Ohmicide is the only one that allows a type of remote patch change functionality as far as I can see.. That irks me..
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

I've not used Trash 2 yet, so I can't really say much about it, but it looks good alright. I have Trash 1, but don't use it all that much.

Saturn is great! And is dam nice just as an exciter.

I don't think you can have too many distortion plugins, because they all have a different flavor.

I recently bought 'Maul', and I think it's excellent. As OP said CamelPhat is good too.

I quite like the sound of Ohmicide, but Christ is it's a royal pain to use. The interface is incredibly fiddly.

I also recently bought Brainworx Saturater. This one I'm really starting to like. :)

The distortions in Saturn and Maul sounds a lot better than in Trash, in my opinion. Maul sounds the most analog, Saturn sounding a little more digital but I have a feeling Saturn might be a little better to mix with, overall.

Trash sounds just like it's name, which some people like. I just don't.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

@midnight wrote:The distortions in Saturn and Maul sounds a lot better than in Trash, in my opinion. Maul sounds the most analog, Saturn sounding a little more digital but I have a feeling Saturn might be a little better to mix with, overall.

Trash sounds just like it's name, which some people like. I just don't.
Now I've set up an ABCD test of all the plugs I can really get to the bottom of this. Trash when directly compared to the others doesn't stand out as sounding worse than the others IMO, in fact I feel I hear a little more clarity in the high end. But it's still early on in my comparison checks..

Ohmicide just commited suicide it's demo period expired after I'd had it loaded but not used, so I didn't get to try it. So I'm trying Brainworx Saturator and Rock Racks instead, expensive stuff but it'll be fun to try anyway.

I worked about a half an hour each with Trash 2 and Saturn, and sound quality wise Trash 2 is much better sounding than Saturn when you just dial through the presets, on the lead bass sounds I'm presently using.

Admittedly it cannot do everything other distortion plugs do, but Saturn would be my "desert island" selection of a distortion plug. What it does, it does supremely well and it's ease of use could not be better. Saturn certainly would get my vote.

I'm warming to the idea of getting Trash 2 while it's at the introductory price. If I later on feel the Trash 2 is lacking I can easily afford something like Maul, or if I really want ot get into programming with an interesting UI that's new to me then Saturn would be great too, they aren't that expensive.

The Saturn GUI fascnates me. The Trash 2 wide and wild capabilities and sound quality mesmerize me. The Maul just down to earth usablities and solid features, and comfortable UI charms me.

Return to “Effects”