Heliox support

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Heliox

This thread is for Heliox support (in case it is needed...:-)).

If you find bugs, or if you have comments, suggestions, criticisms etc... please feel free to post here.

I really like this thing. No bugs found but the circular knob dragging is a bit awkward (as it always is), up-down knob dragging would be preferable.

Is this your first plugin? Do you plan to make more stuff?
miedex

hi . I put ".dll" in my plugin folder, but I can't show in my DAW ! :(

miedex wrote:
Is this your first plugin? Do you plan to make more stuff?
Yes, it's my first plugin, and I have some ideas to develop more stuff (coming soon...).

jeff51 wrote:hi . I put ".dll" in my plugin folder, but I can't show in my DAW ! :(
What DAW are you using ?

it could use some obvious accoutrement, eg. onboard modulators, polyphony, longer envelope times. i think i just about recorded a cd with it.. stable performance, low cpu, nicely parameterised algorithm, useful and unique.

a keeper!
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:it could use some obvious accoutrement, eg. onboard modulators, polyphony, longer envelope times. i think i just about recorded a cd with it.. stable performance, low cpu, nicely parameterised algorithm, useful and unique.

a keeper!
almost can not believe it .... many thanks

I'm thinking about Heliox 2, with additional features. Maybe polyphony should be an issue, because of the number of oscillators, but never say........

based on what people tell me about cpu performance, i think it would be acceptable. heliox used ...5% ?? of my 1.6g processor, less than 10%. i think this is "economical" by todays standards.

i hope more people notice this.. it is very easy to produce a signal that, with some stereo processing, can easily pass for ambience of complex urban background noise.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

http://www.xoxos.net/temp/helioxboids.mp3

these are all very similar and don't show off what the synth can do (great motile engine.. for any kind of patch where animation is desired - remember the harmonic series when patching!).

all samples are through boids, though i picked segments where "tonal" options on boids don't colour the signal as much as add stereo/ensemble.

i think an ambient album could be made with only some reverb :)

the first segment is the first patch (aquatic) through boids preset (critter fog). to me it sounds like a bad miced recording of a man and a woman having a conversation (the woman is closer to the mic and has some bass from proximity effect).

xoxos wrote:http://www.xoxos.net/temp/helioxboids.mp3

these are all very similar and don't show off what the synth can do (great motile engine.. for any kind of patch where animation is desired - remember the harmonic series when patching!).

all samples are through boids, though i picked segments where "tonal" options on boids don't colour the signal as much as add stereo/ensemble.

i think an ambient album could be made with only some reverb :)

the first segment is the first patch (aquatic) through boids preset (critter fog). to me it sounds like a bad miced recording of a man and a woman having a conversation (the woman is closer to the mic and has some bass from proximity effect).
Very nice example .... if you create some piece with it, please let me know.

i love this wierd thing, does really great ambiences/noises... this should actually be an osc-section for a full substractive synth with fx... kinda reminds me of alchemy's additive mode, which does such wierd noises, too...
btw, please, as xoxos said, longer env as well as please get rid of linear decay's and releases.
v2 could be easily stereo (!!) and polyphonic. as xoxos said, one could do an ambient album with this thing, if it is brought to an end, so to say... :)

:tu:

and may i add that an inverse harmonic damping, which kills from the fundamental upwards as addition would be very nice, too...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Hi- and first, thanks for a unique instrument.

Second, I wanted to report that in LiveProfessor 1.03 Free, the plugin manager is listing Heliox as "Failed! (Invalid access to memory location)".

It's showing some odd behavior with Reaper 4.30 as well- always initially scanning and listing under instruments OK, but only once in a blue moon actually able to load; most times Reaper simply says it can't be loaded, immediately after trying to insert it. The rare times it does load, saving then reopening the project will trigger the "can't be loaded/is missing" error.

I've tried deleting then reinstalling Heliox, as that old trick's solved past scanning/loading issues with other plugins, but no joy.

Though my machine's a Win 7 (x64), LP and Reaper are both (x86), as many of my plugs are (x86), and bridging hasn't been consistent enough to warrant abandoning a (x86) host.

If others reading this have a fix or this sounds familiar, please don't hesitate to chime on in; I could be missing something spectacularly obvious, or just be the first to report the issue here, but I'd sure be interested either way ;)

ccDuckett wrote:Hi- and first, thanks for a unique instrument.

Second, I wanted to report that in LiveProfessor 1.03 Free, the plugin manager is listing Heliox as "Failed! (Invalid access to memory location)".

It's showing some odd behavior with Reaper 4.30 as well- always initially scanning and listing under instruments OK, but only once in a blue moon actually able to load; most times Reaper simply says it can't be loaded, immediately after trying to insert it. The rare times it does load, saving then reopening the project will trigger the "can't be loaded/is missing" error.

I tested with the latest LiveProfessor Free on Windows XP (32-bit) and it seemed OK (it's listed in Plugin Manager, and I'm able to play it using Yoke MIDI loopback ports).
I have no chance to test it on Reaper, sorry.

Now I'm working on the polyphonic version of Heliox, Heliox 1.2, with some minor adjustments, and I have some plans about Heliox 2, with some interesting new features .... stay tuned.

Thanks for the reply- happy to hear more is planned. As far as the problems, perhaps it is a Win 7 peculiarity, as I notice your testing was on a machine running XP? In any case, I will see if another host can load Heliox without problems, and will certainly stay tuned!

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”