Vote for the best budget monitors with 5" woofer!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.

Best budget monitors with 5" tweeter!

Yamaha HS50M
17%
KRK RP5 G2
29%
Prodipe Pro Ribbon 5
4%
Adam F5
13%
Fostex PM0.5 MKII
No votes
Mackie MR5 MKII
13%
Tannoy Reveal 501a
13%
Other/Leave comment plz
13%

Total votes: 24

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone im on the way to buy my first monitors for home studio.I produce progressive-house/chill out but i dont want the most bass heavy 5" monitors but the most accurate and revealing to help me correct things for mixing and mastering.
i will have headphones with good low-freq response (beyerdynamic dt990) to help me with the low end freq,and because i dont have the opportunity to hear them all in local shop,i need your vote here.Any comments and suggestions are welcome!Thanx
Last edited by Constantine_K on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep in your mind...there is a light...follow it!

None of the monitors listed have 5" tweeters.

Presumably 5" woofers is meant. Edit: now corrected, I see :)
Last edited by Nantonos on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nantonos wrote:None of the monitors listed have 5" tweeters.

Presumably 5" woofers is meant.
Yeap that i whas mean :)

4", but they're a steal at the price. Better than at least half of those from your poll options, IMHO.

http://kurzweil.com/product/ks-40a/specs/

It could be that I have tin ears, but, I could not work easily with the HS50s for producing house/techno. They sound great for most non-electronic styles but I couldn't get past the lack of bass response.

ghettosynth wrote:It could be that I have tin ears, but, I could not work easily with the HS50s for producing house/techno. They sound great for most non-electronic styles but I couldn't get past the lack of bass response.
Which one u use?And are they revealing?

I mentioning these cause you may not have heard of them, Equator Audio D5s if you can get them in Greece. I'd also consider the Focal CMS40 ifyou can stretch the budget. :)
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

musikmachine wrote:I mentioning these cause you may not have heard of them, Equator Audio D5s if you can get them in Greece. I'd also consider the Focal CMS40 ifyou can stretch the budget. :)
Yes i have forgot to add the Equator to the list,i have read good reviews about them have you work with them?can u compare them to the yamahas?cause i think they are the most revealing in the list but lack in bass.But no big problem with the bass cause i will have headphones to correct them and i will try to mix in whisper level to make a good mix.

I am probably off to buy cheap monitors too - so keep voting - I really want to get a sense of what is out there.

I was thinking of the mackie's, but I want something very revealing and that does not seem to tally up with your reviews
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

Constantine_K wrote:
musikmachine wrote:I mentioning these cause you may not have heard of them, Equator Audio D5s if you can get them in Greece. I'd also consider the Focal CMS40 ifyou can stretch the budget. :)
Yes i have forgot to add the Equator to the list,i have read good reviews about them have you work with them?can u compare them to the yamahas?cause i think they are the most revealing in the list but lack in bass.But no big problem with the bass cause i will have headphones to correct them and i will try to mix in whisper level to make a good mix.
The HS80s are good if that's what you mean as long as you have a way to reference mixes, not the most revealing but you can get mixes that translate. The highs are a bit grainy and low end rolls off. There's a limiter too that compresses the sound and some have done a limiter bypass, did it a few months back and the sound has improved but they are even better with a sub and sealing the ports improved things further. I enjoy working with them a lot more now, good for putting tracks together but the Focals are much more revealing so better for critical use.

Unless you've got the room and treatment i'd say go for a smaller more accurate monitor, you can always add a sub to monitor the low end. Remember a lot of budget monitors are a compromise, the ports extend the low end but often at the cost of smearing the mids. Fwiw without being able to try i'd get the D5s as long as i had the option to return them based on what i've read. If you want to get some more info contact handinhand, they are the UK distributors. :)
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

EvilDragon wrote:4", but they're a steal at the price. Better than at least half of those from your poll options, IMHO.

http://kurzweil.com/product/ks-40a/specs/
+1

Any owner of Equator D5 here?

Behringer Truth series wasn't mentioned. I only recommend the active ones. Ideally the 8" version, but for this price - either one is pretty much unbeatable.

The 30's (ribbon tweeter) have a better frequency spectrum balance compared to the 20's (somewhat special horn design) as well. Though I use a pair of 2031a's over here and I'm a happy user.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I voted on the tannoy, they have a nice response even though i picked my JBL 8s over it. JBL needs to be on that list.
Impossible is nothing to those who try- Alexander the Great

M audio BX5A has served well for a few years.. Are they discontinued or.... dismissed?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”