Attempting to recreate Mozart as authentically as possible.Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Hollywood Strings

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone.

My goal with VST instruments is to compose with absolute realism. I've composed a few dozen pieces recently, and to test my "programming" chops, I've just finished putting together Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" as a proof of concept in strings quality, using EWQL Hollywood Strings.

Have a listen and let me know what you all think.

http://www.glenrhodes.com/music/eknachtmusik.mp3

Thanks!
Glen

http://www.soundcloud.com/glenrhodes
Last edited by glenrhodes on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It sounds very good. It shows a bit that it's programmed, it's a bit "static" (but not very much) compared to the real thing. Still, I think it's a very nice work. :)

I predict an expert on classical violin will have some answers for you soon. :)
Last edited by Frantz on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hi, glenrhodes!

I've played violin (classical) for over 50 years, and I've played this thing about a gazillion times, and I do have a few comments, though I don't have a lot of time right now (maybe later). I think Mozart is a really good choice for getting your programming chops together. First off, I think that your basic sound is really good. In fact, I'm kind of surprised that this library gets as close as it does. The good news is that the lower and middle voices are in fairly good shape.

The secret to the violin parts is in the fine details of the phrasing. For instance, in Mozart it is more common to crescendo going up the scale, even if you have to get a bit quieter at first in order to do so, and decrescendo going down, though this is not a hard and fast rule. Bar 20 is a good example. I like the way you "sting" the first note in the violins, but then try starting from about a mezzo piano and condescending to a forte by the first beat of bar 22. But, one thing to keep in mind is that you can over do this, since violins will tend to get louder when they ascend the scale anyway, as well as getting quieter going down.

In bar 28, where the new phrase begins, you are accenting the last note of the downward scale in the violins (A natural on beat 1 descending to a D natural on beat 3), and if anything, the scale should kind of fall off to the last note, with the last note then being no big deal, though not too soft. In fact, it is kind of uncommon to accent the last note of the phrase in Mozart, especially if it the are repeated notes, such as the end of the phrase just before this, in bar 27.

If you really want to get Mozart right, the best way is to listen to A LOT OF MOZART! One mistake that a lot of people make, but you haven't made, is to be too dainty or prissy. This stuff can be surprisingly muscular at times, more so than one might think. It took me quite a while to finally "get" Mozart, and I actually remember when it happened. It was during a lesson when I was studying the 5th violin concerto. All of the sudden it just kind of clicked. But, I had played a lot of his music prior to that. But, I think you are on the right track. Good job!

Cheers!
Baxter

Baxter wrote:Woah!
Thanks - that was a great post :)

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Baxter wrote:Hi, glenrhodes!

The secret to the violin parts is in the fine details of the phrasing. For instance, in Mozart it is more common to crescendo going up the scale, even if you have to get a bit quieter at first in order to do so, and decrescendo going down, though this is not a hard and fast rule. Bar 20 is a good example. I like the way you "sting" the first note in the violins, but then try starting from about a mezzo piano and condescending to a forte by the first beat of bar 22. But, one thing to keep in mind is that you can over do this, since violins will tend to get louder when they ascend the scale anyway, as well as getting quieter going down.

In bar 28, where the new phrase begins, you are accenting the last note of the downward scale in the violins (A natural on beat 1 descending to a D natural on beat 3), and if anything, the scale should kind of fall off to the last note, with the last note then being no big deal, though not too soft. In fact, it is kind of uncommon to accent the last note of the phrase in Mozart, especially if it the are repeated notes, such as the end of the phrase just before this, in bar 27.

Cheers!
Baxter
Thank you SO much for such a detailed, insightful and constructive response. I found it interesting when I was programming this as I would ask myself the very questions that you have answered. I compared it to recordings, but that still doesn't get me in the mind of a player - which is where the programming becomes human.. adding the nuances of an individual human and section. So, a simple thing like 'crescendo on upward scale' - I suppose listening to a recording now I can hear that.. but I didn't fully realize what I was hearing until I read what you wrote.

And that's just it - growth and improvement happens one trick at a time.

Thank you so much.
Glen

great post, baxter!!

maybe it's a matter of taste but I think the dynamic range could be a liiiiittle bigger here and there. crescendos could end a little louder.

..but very well done for my ears!!

forw

I should have also said - it was a joy to listen to the OP's recreation! :oops:

Agree about dynamics comments, though.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:I should have also said - it was a joy to listen to the OP's recreation! :oops:

Agree about dynamics comments, though.

Peace,
Andy.
+1

Fantastisch :clap:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Wowowowowowowowow weeeeeeeeee!

Someone put ALLLLOT of work into this!

And it shows.

Verrrrry nice....:)

Thank you all for your feedback. I've also got a soundcloud page of my own cinematic/film compositions (and another classical piece; Bach's Air on the G String).

http://www.soundcloud.com/glenrhodes

I'm going to play with the dynamics on Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - I think it could use more dynamic range, but I want to make sure not to ever let it sound weak or timid.

Glen

Really diggin' this tune :wink:

I have listened to this 3 or 4 times now, and really enjoyed it. I think it has a very "natural" sound, and, had I not read your preamble, would have assumed that this was an orchestral performance.

A fine piece of work :tu:

This is simply astonishing! :hyper: :clap: :tu:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Great ! This is not just the programming skills :ud: :wink:

Thanks.

Return to “Music Cafe”