RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://blamsoft.com/rack-extensions/viking/

Guess what synth it's based on!! :D

Dogboy73 wrote:http://blamsoft.com/rack-extensions/viking/

Guess what synth it's based on!! :D
Hmmm, maybe Bob Moog's favourite football team was the Minnesota Vikings? :D

How much will this retail for?

It like have a Moog Voyager in your rack. Stunning. Those filters are awesome.

Just 59 bucks (until Dec 31), not bad :hyper:

I'm getting Reasons Essentials now, so looks tempting....

Numanoid wrote:Just 59 bucks (until Dec 31), not bad :hyper:

I'm getting Reasons Essentials now, so looks tempting....
It's worth getting Reason Essentials just to host this and Antidote. Both amazing synths.

Mixed response to this on the Props boards, which I guess is going to be pretty standard for any new synth RE post Antidote. Seeing as this is clearly an emulation of the Moog Voyager I'm glad they've made Viking monophonic. But a lot of people are seeing this as a negative. A lot of people (including me) are very pleased they have a Moog emulation in the Reason rack. But I'm wondering would people be as interested in this if it was just a new monosynth in Reason and not an emulation of a Moog Voyager? One big problem for emulations is that they obviously draw comparisons with the hardware they are emulating. Invariably this leads to many (not least owners / users of the original synth) to proclaim it sounds nothing like the original! I suppose the bottom line should really be how good does this thing sound / perform. Forget its a Voyager emulation for a second. How does it stand on its own Merritt?

I passed Antidote because I already got PredatorRE but I have just testet this and I am all in. Great bass synth IMO. Despite it's simple layout it can do some cool things like spreading the filter and morph from one waveform to the other if you automate the waveselector. It comes without effects, so running it through a couple makes it more easy to compare with antidote and Predator. It has a good deal of cv inputs as well as outputs too. Me like.

on a side note, I think it' architecture might be inpired by Voyager but it is hardly a component modeled emulation of it.

IncarnateX wrote:on a side note, I think it' architecture might be inpired by Voyager but it is hardly a component modeled emulation of it.
Maybe the GUI, which looks exactly like the Voyager front panel, wasn't the best idea then. But I think it's clear what the devs were trying to do, at least as far as the GUI is concerned.

hmm no VST version for this beauty with one of the best GUI I have ever seen?

I am looking for moog sounds, shame.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

cyberheater wrote:It like have a Moog Voyager in your rack. Stunning. Those filters are awesome.

VitaminD wrote:
cyberheater wrote:It like have a Moog Voyager in your rack. Stunning. Those filters are awesome.

:lol:

A naughty little troll you are! Me like :D

IncarnateX wrote:I have just testet this and I am all in. Great bass synth IMO.
But isn't SubTractor already catering to that need, a great bass synth?

Numanoid wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:I have just testet this and I am all in. Great bass synth IMO.
But isn't SubTractor already catering to that need, a great bass synth?
There are some great bass synths in Reason depending on your needs but what this can do and sound like are not covered by Subtractor for sure. Subtractor has only two osc whereas Viking has three. You would get closer with Thor but then again you are not to able to morph between triangle pulse and saw, and the filter spacing of Viking would also be hard to recreate, you might need two Thors and some combinator settings for for that. Then there are a good deal if cv in and out options that makes it even more modular in nature than both Thor and Subtractor. Finally I will say that both the osc of Viking and the filters sound better to me than both subtractor's and Thor's.

That said, it should be noted that looking at features alone, what most REs can do can basically be covered with Reason's onboard synths and at worst complex combinators. But you can not achieve exactly the same results soundwise, this is where REs like Predator Re, Antidote and Viking contribute with their particular sound.

Cheers

This is no DIVA, but it does a pretty darn good job on it's own.
Last edited by eXode on Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eXode wrote:This is no DIVA.
Speaking of which: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366778
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Return to “Instruments”