String 1.14.5: crash fix + global tuning

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey folks,

It's been the one of the most requested features for rather a long while, so I'm pleased to publicly release this String 1.3.10 beta, which debuts keyboard parameter entry.

String is a virtual instrument and fx unit that emulates the beautiful sound of the polyphonic string synthesizer. String's authentic tone comes from its accurate emulation of the divide-down oscillator technology behind the lush ensemble synths of the 70s.

This release adds the following changes :
  • (feature) Keyboard entry of rotary parameter values. Rotary controls can now be typed directly into by clicking on the text value below the control.
  • (improvement:Mac OS X) Installer and all installed components are now signed in compliance with Mac OS X 10.8's Gatekeeper system.
  • (improvement:Linux) When using the JACK audio system in standalone mode, String will sync to the JACK transport's tempo.
  • (fix:RTAS) Fix for the right-channel muting when bypassing String in Pro Tools when used on a mono to stereo track.
  • (fix) Fix for input and output devices occasionally becoming un-selectable.
  • (improvement) Significantly improved UI response speed; reduced CPU usage when parameters are automated whilst the UI open.
  • (improvement:Windows) Clearer font rendering on preset browser.
  • (improvement:Windows) Removed C++ runtime libraries redistributable requirement for RTAS plug-ins. The installer no longer installs the C++ runtime library redistributable components when installing the RTAS plug-ins.
I've tested on as wide a range of operating systems and hosts as time allowed, and it appears that keyboard control works in them all. Obviously though, there are a lot combinations out there, so I'd like to hear if anyone discovers a host in which keypresses aren't correctly forwarded to String.

The only other change worth mentioning is that Gatekeeper signed packages will not work on Mac OS X 10.4. So whilst we're still supporting this older OS, anyone on 10.4 will need to download a specific dmg for their system. Everyone else should use the standard signed builds.

If you have any problems with this release (and I'd be very surprised if these Gatekeeper changes don't break something), don't hesitate to let us know. Once I'm happy that this build is stable, I'll put out an official release. Enjoy!

Mac OS X 10.4 unsigned
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzRR2B ... FU4Q1FHT00

Mac OS X 10.5 and above, Gatekeeper signed
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzRR2B ... ExxbW1CNEk

Windows 32-bit and 64-bit
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzRR2B ... G9qT08wTTA

Linux 32-bit
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzRR2B ... zdrcEVSVjA

Linux 64-bit
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzRR2B ... 3BKd0hYUE0
Last edited by colin@loomer on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Looks great! Still on my, to but, list :)

I'd love to design a sound set for it.

Thanks for post, Colin!

Downloading now Colin... will let you know if I come up against any issues!

Cheers,

Alan

Sweet, excited for the jack support!

After an eternity sat waiting in beta, I guess now is as good a time as any to make these changes official: String 1.3.11 is now available for download here.

This release adds the following changes (most of which were included in the previous 1.3.10 beta):
  • (feature) Keyboard entry of rotary parameter values. Rotary controls can now be typed directly into by clicking on the text value below the control.
  • (fix: Mac OS X Audio Unit) Space key-presses will now always be passed through to Ableton Live, ensuring that Live's transport can be started and stopped, even when String's UI is selected.
  • (improvement: Mac OS X) Installer and all installed components are now signed in compliance with Mac OS X 10.8's Gatekeeper system.
  • (improvement: Windows) The 32-bit and 64-bit VST plug-ins are now installed as separate components. You can choose which one(s) to install, as well as selecting different install folders for each architecture.
  • (improvement: Linux) When using the JACK audio system in standalone mode, the JACK Transport will now control String's tempo.
  • (fix: RTAS) Fix for the right-channel muting when bypassing in Pro Tools when used on a mono to stereo track.
    (improvement) Significantly improved UI response speed; reduced CPU usage when parameters are automated whilst the UI is open.
  • (improvement: Windows) Clearer font rendering on preset browser.
  • (improvement: Windows) Removed C++ runtime libraries redistributable requirement for RTAS plug-ins. The installer no longer installs the C++ runtime library redistributable components when installing the RTAS plug-ins.
  • (fix: Linux) User presets are now correctly sorted in alphabetical order within the preset browser.
Enjoy!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Cheers for the update Colin.

Still no joy in getting this version to show up in Kore2 (though seems to be working everywhere else from very quick 'tests').

Alan

Leave it with me: I'll see what Native Instruments have to say on the matter!

colin@loomer wrote:Leave it with me: I'll see what Native Instruments have to say on the matter!
Sorry Colin... I just did a 'more' thorough test... String (and FX) are not showing up in Maschine since the update either... looking good in Live, S1 and Reaper... just not with NI products.

That's not so good: I was sure that this issue was nailed! (Although, in all honesty, I reckon that it doesn't scan with a current host - as opposed to the deprecated Kore - means NI are more likely to be interested in a mutual fix...)

I'll get back to you with an update when I have something to report. Also, just let me know if you need download links to the older builds, those which did work in Maschine.

Hi Colin,

Thought I'd see if deleting everything String and reinstalling might help things... unfortunately it doesn't seem to.

Also noticed that whereas when we first talked about this problem it was only 64bit VST String that was not showing up, it seems to now be both AU & VST (both String and FX versions)... but just within Kore & Maschine.

Looks like the last version that worked for me would have been before the Beta version from last November (sorry I can't be more specific).

Funny thing is that I had no issues with the last Sequent update, must be something String-specific?

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for the additional information; no doubt this'll prove handy in tracking the issue down.

As far as progress on getting a fix out, I am in contact with NI and we're discussing this. No ETA on a fix as of yet, but rest assured: this is a high priority!

I was going to ask about the Sequent update actually. With Sequent scanning OK, this does at least eliminate the changes which were made for Gatekeeper support as a probable cause.

Update report: Native Instruments' support team have managed to duplicate the issue. Hopefully a fix - on either our or their end - isn't too far off.
Last edited by colin@loomer on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That's great news Colin... thanks for looking into it! :)

All credit must go to the helpful support chaps at NI, but I believe I now know what is causing this Maschine (and Kore) issue. I'll endeavour to get an amended version built tomorrow.

Alan: If it's OK, could I send you this update for you to confirm the fix before I make it public? Thanks!

I've just uploaded String 1.3.12 beta for Mac OS X: download it here. This version (hopefully) fixes the issue which could stop Maschine and/or Kore from detecting the String plug-in.

Return to “Loomer”