Would you buy a new version of Tracktion if it were released?

Discussion about: tracktion.com

Would you prepay for a new version of Tracktion if it were crowdsourced?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:25 pm

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 112

RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote:
rpc9943 wrote:I'd pay a crowdshare, whatever the hell it is, to find out what the hells going on in here. Really I would.
There's the old RonC as we know him. :D
Not quite; he hasn't asked 'is it ready yet' 272 times.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

It's obviously not ready, so why waste my time, bunnyboy?

rpc9943 wrote:It's obviously not ready, so why waste my time, bunnyboy?
Ive met BunnyBoy, and he's not me.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

mfkne wrote:Jules stated that this might be not neccessary. We just have to wait a bit...
Still worthwhile to vote on this topic though, just to show how many people "may or may not" be interested in a new version.
m@

thanks metamorphosis - my thoughts exactly
Carmen Sorge
Sorge Sound Studios
www.sorgestudios.com
(905) 834-9898

Updated the thread title, consider the poll title changed, even though I can't actually change it. The gist of the matter is unchanged.
M@

Been watching this closely..............best news I've heard on KVR for a while.

Just the thought of the possibility of the "good ole days" returning in even a small way, is a big deal.

And to see some of the old crowd back in here excited as well? Love it.

Brent
My host is better than your host

jules wrote:Thanks guys!

Really great that you're all offering support like this, but there's no need to worry about crowd-sourcing or anything like that - all that's required is a little patience until things can be revealed..
WHOLE

EEE

SHITE!

Just reading this thread now for the first time. I haven't been recording much lately, but if T were to be re-released under Jule's capable eye, I'd buy it up in a heartbeat.

Just seeing Jules posting in this forum is a hoot!
Music is something you DO. Spend time, not money.
http://www.myspace.com/skipkent
http://soundcloud.com/skipkent

Looks like I'm late to the party, even if we don't know if it's a party or not. Would I pay? YES. yES. YEs. Shit, I would pay more... period. Never found a replacement for T. Just gimme the basics, good ol' T, and I'm all over it... no question.
ModuLR / Radio

njon6 wrote:I'd jump in that pool were it to go back into the hands of Jules.
Interesting. i contacted him in February and asked him to work on Tracktion again. He answered that he unfortunately has not the time to do this. so - has he (re-)written a complete new app in a bit more than half a year? :shock:

however, i would pay up to 200 bucks for a new stable version. I am on Mac - you understand what I mean... :(

mfkne wrote:
njon6 wrote:I'd jump in that pool were it to go back into the hands of Jules.
Interesting. i contacted him in February and asked him to work on Tracktion again. He answered that he unfortunately has not the time to do this. so - has he (re-)written a complete new app in a bit more than half a year? :shock:

however, i would pay up to 200 bucks for a new stable version. I am on Mac - you understand what I mean... :(
A lot can change in a few months. And he wouldn't have to start from scratch. It's likely that if he did go forward, he still had at LEAST the original code base from the pre-Mackie days. But I would guess he even has it in it's current form as he was always kind of kept around(to my knowledge) as a consultant, even if only very very part-time.

Plus, he still develops the JUCE format that HE created, and that is the complete base for Tracktion. So it's not unthinkable that he could jump right back in.

With that being said, we also don't know if there is perhaps other developers on board. Maybe even another company. We don't know. We can only hope that it's coming back in a big way, and there is nobody better to do it than Jules.

Brent

agree.

koolkeys wrote: And he wouldn't have to start from scratch. It's likely that if he did go forward, he still had at LEAST the original code base from the pre-Mackie days. But I would guess he even has it in it's current form as he was always kind of kept around(to my knowledge) as a consultant, even if only very very part-time.
If whatever may or may not be in development is to be called Tracktion, then either it'll be a Mackie product, or someone has bought the name from Mackie. Jules can't just decide to release a T4 without Mackie's blessing as they own the rights to the name and IP (including I'd imagine T1's code). Be this a Mackie product, a Jules product, or some currently unknown 3rd party, if it is to be a Tracktion, then Jules will have access to T3's code.
Plus, he still develops the JUCE format that HE created, and that is the complete base for Tracktion. So it's not unthinkable that he could jump right back in.
Moving the Tracktion code base to JUCE 2.0 alone would provide a bunch of small but discernible improvements: improved ASIO support, AU support, more efficient UI rendering, increased robustness to name just the obvious.

That's not a small undertaking though.
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!

valley wrote:
koolkeys wrote: And he wouldn't have to start from scratch. It's likely that if he did go forward, he still had at LEAST the original code base from the pre-Mackie days. But I would guess he even has it in it's current form as he was always kind of kept around(to my knowledge) as a consultant, even if only very very part-time.
If whatever may or may not be in development is to be called Tracktion, then either it'll be a Mackie product, or someone has bought the name from Mackie. Jules can't just decide to release a T4 without Mackie's blessing as they own the rights to the name and IP (including I'd imagine T1's code). Be this a Mackie product, a Jules product, or some currently unknown 3rd party, if it is to be a Tracktion, then Jules will have access to T3's code.
Absolutely! Obviously, Mackie would have had to sign off on him "taking it back". Seeing as the forum changed names but still kept the Tracktion name, and that Jules holds the title of Chief Tracktioneer, I'm only GUESSING that he has the rights back. And yes, that would mean he has access to the T3 code.

Good points indeed.
Moving the Tracktion code base to JUCE 2.0 alone would provide a bunch of small but discernible improvements: improved ASIO support, AU support, more efficient UI rendering, increased robustness to name just the obvious.

That's not a small undertaking though.
Yeah, I don't know how vast of a task that would be, seeing as I'm not a programmer. So I bet it would be, and you definitely understand it deeper than I do. But the key is that he at least wouldn't have to start with unfamiliar code, or start from scratch. He would be able to get around it pretty well compared to a programmer that is brand new to a piece of software. Many times when new programmers come on, there is a slight delay in development as they get themselves familiar with everything. That wouldn't be as extreme here, I'm guessing.

But then, it is ONLY a guess on my part.

Brent

koolkeys wrote:Yeah, I don't know how vast of a task that would be, seeing as I'm not a programmer. So I bet it would be, and you definitely understand it deeper than I do. But the key is that he at least wouldn't have to start with unfamiliar code, or start from scratch. He would be able to get around it pretty well compared to a programmer that is brand new to a piece of software. Many times when new programmers come on, there is a slight delay in development as they get themselves familiar with everything. That wouldn't be as extreme here, I'm guessing.

But then, it is ONLY a guess on my part.

Brent
The post on the JUCE forum stated that it wasn't a solo endeavour. My guess is that he has help from the certain members of the JUCE community who have sworn an oath of secrecy. :?:
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Return to “Tracktion”