g200kg : Kamioooka support

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kamioooka

Thanks for the updates g200kg! :)
KVR >Gear Slutz! Change my mind! :clap:

This is a great concept, but I always get phasing issues...everything sounds like being slightly send to a phaser. Does this occur because of the non-aliasing of the OSC? Could this be improved?

Tricky-Loops wrote:This is a great concept, but I always get phasing issues...everything sounds like being slightly send to a phaser. Does this occur because of the non-aliasing of the OSC? Could this be improved?
I'm not sure but may be so if the issue that you mentioned remain even the patch 'Most Simple Patch'.

there is a built-in delay and chorus.
the "empty" patches have the delay mix knob
turned to 1%
maybe that causes phase stuff :D

It's pretty underpatched, I got a synced osc setup now with a pitch envelope.

I see it's got some serious velocity response, my playing sounds like slop.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

This synth looks very interesting indeed. Currently i am working on other stuff but will look into ti deeoer soon. Will maybe also do some free presets for it.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

This one got my #2 vote. I gave 1 to transient and the only reason I didn't give it here is because I don't know how to use it.

..and still I am ignorantly grateful because this is the simplest synth of its kind I've ever seen. It's going to be a great learning tool. Awesome contribution. Not too many people know this kind of synthesis, and it's by far the most unique of the synths.

Kamioooka on drums, Doinnk Bass, main melody and pad sounds.
rest is novation bass station. track got about 3000 clicks :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rweRvCbiHDU

hahaa, i was wondering why i posted into g200kg's forum and nothing happened at all, until i realized just now, that the support for this baby is actually here on the developer challenge forum section...

ok, once again here, g200kg, you have a winner here. you got my 5 stars, even though i think some stuff has to be adressed, but that's just _my_ personal opinion.

so, here's the post i left on your forum:
________

hi g200kg,

i already left a post to tell you how much i love that little thing.
now here's some of my thoughts of what _imho_ has to be added/changed/enhanced to really make thisone as legendary as f.e. synth1 is.

modulation via cc's/velocity/keyfollow
i have wrapped my head around on how one could have utilized at least 5 very necessary controls like velocity, keyfollow, mw, aftertouch and pitchbend with their _own_ amounts on _every_ modulatable parameter (as i f.e. don't like most velocity dependant parameters to be _always_ active and set to max - i'd like to decide this myself). as this simply can't be done convincingly with, say, a modulation module, i came to the conclusion, that you should add the possibility to doubleclick/rightclick a parameter, and a popup window would pop up with the entries "vel", "key", "mw", "cpress" and "pitchbend (with individual amounts for up and down)", and a dedicated, bipolar up and down dragable value box for the individual amounts, as well as another numeric box next to it, that controls the "interpolation" or "lowpassing" of the parameter, to smooth out eventual steppyness when .f.e. moving the modwheel, would be the "easiest" way to go. this would instantly lift kamioooka to one of my go-to synths. remember, i do sounddesign for my living. i'm not saying this to brag around, rather than showing you how close you are when it comes to someone who really loves synths and deals with synths/sounddesign since over 30 years now. :)

vco module
even if in analog and modulare synths back then never provided, i would love for the vco's to be able to retrigger the phase, as well as to set it manually between 0 and 360 degrees. this really helps for everything that is percussive.
you could put a silder right next to the "manual" pwm slider, which, when set to max low position could have the osc in freerun, and everything above would retrigger accordingly, up to the point where the slider is max top, where it would be 360 degrees in phase shift.

noise module
- could you give the noise module a bipolar, small knob for hi/lowpassing it?
would greatly enhance the possibility of what you can do with it... i know i could send it to another filter module, but there's not enough module-space, which exactly brings me to the next point:

more modules/module-spaces
first for the spaces...
currently one can only use 10 modules in kamiooka. right after 5min of tweaking it, i ran out of "rackspaces, to open more modules... :) so could you maybe either make the gui scrollable within the module "rackspaces", so that _always_ one empty module slot is there, leftnext to the master module, or make the screenwidth resizable via dragging (horizontally only)?

now for the modules:
how about fx modules? i could imagine quite some fx that could be really benefitting the preset making, and one could easily use them as modules... imagine these possibilities, when implementing fx modules for free routing... :)

saturation
there's very early a saturation kicking in in the amp module. at which value of the vca-in slider exactly does it kick in? and could one maybe set the threshold of where it kicks in by himself? cos sometimes i find it very distracting, so i lower the slider accordingly, but then the master volume knob doesn't have enough range to compensate the level loss...

filter
while the filter is nice for standard things with less resonance i wouldn't mind having another vcf module with a filter, which has some kind of tanh approximation or whatever saturator in the feedback path, for the thing to sound more analog than it does now...

oversampling
kamioooka does use a rediciulous low amount of cpu cycles, so i wouldn't mind, if there would be an oversampling switch in dedicated modules (or global for relevant modules), especially if audiorate modulation takes place, to get rid of some aliasing.

voices
i would love kamioooka to have:
- adjustable voice count in steps of 1
- 16 voices. often it's a basic patch that would make up for a pad. but a pad should be at least be playable with 6 simultaneous voices, of which the releases are able to overlap - that makes at least 12 voices to be used, in some cases 16 could be even more helpful...

also, if there's a voice overflow in kamioooka, as soon as all 8 voices are used simultaneously and you add a nineth voice - nothing happens. instead it should be, that the _oldest_ voice should be killed and the new one being played. i wouldn't call this a bug, but for sure a rather unlucky implemenation, given the synth is actually able to provide polyphony... :)

step sequencer module
two things really come up all the time where i think this is either not sufficent or wrong:
- in free run, one would expect the sequencer to be _not_ retriggering when a new voice is added. instead it does retrigger.
- in none "freerun" mode, one would expect the sequencer to retrigger (which it does), but it does stop at the last step, which one would _not_ expect it to do at all.

- in between the switch "step" and "smooth" i instead for the switch would wish for a continuous slider to choose from min value = step, and max value = max glide from one step value to another. anything between is... well... anything between... :)

outmix/master module
- in the master module i would wish for a slider that could set the amount of alternation-panning of voices. 0 = no panning, max = 1st voice left, 2nd voice right, 3rd voice left, and so on...

- also, i would wish to be able to control the panning monophonic with an lfo or whatever control signal from another module.

i would really wish for an arpeggiator module
it could be basic, with the modes "up", "down", "up/down", "down/up" and "as palyed", sometimes called "note order", too... it could furthermore have a retrigger option, where every new note added to the chord will retrigger the arp, or, when this is set to off, it will only retrigger, if all voices are dead. last it would have the typical range switch between 0 to 4 octaves range, as well as a global note length knob, of which the max note length is overlapping, so that the arp is able to play legato notes.

glide
i would love the glide to have 2 modes, when the voices are set to mono:
one where glide would only be applied to notes that are played legato, hence i'd put a "legato" led switch over the glide knob, and, if that is not set to "on", it glides always, as it is now.

last but not least i would love to tell you that these are only kindly meant suggestion, but they come from someone who really knows about synths and what's important in them, and i would like to thank you for this already great pice of work. i really dig the quirky sound of it! great work, as you always seem to provide, be it synths, fx plugins or knob/skinman, and i would gladly pay for products like these. and you give them away for _free_!! can't be valued enough.
keep up the good work, and may i dare to say, that i hope you got back on your feet again in terms of your terrible loss a few years ago.

thanks again!

btw, if you have any further questions or something wasn't as clear as i thought, just drop me a post here or pm me....

:tu: :tu: :tu:

edit:
i would like to add another feature request: please make the lfo slowest speed down to 0.01hz at least, to be able to have really slow modulations. :)
and i noticed, that the hodl pedal doesn't work on kamioooka.
________

end of quoted message
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

hello,

thank you brok, your suggestions are helpful as always.
I think improvements other than bug-fix should be considered after DC.

especially, the VCO quality may insufficient because I designed low-CPU as first priority.

Hi " Kamioooka " users.
I finished my first bank.(available after voting period)
this's one video-demo , Just some sounds examples. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I65WJTa ... ature=plcp

g200kg wrote:hello,

thank you brok, your suggestions are helpful as always.
I think improvements other than bug-fix should be considered after DC.

especially, the VCO quality may insufficient because I designed low-CPU as first priority.
yeah, no worries, you do as you think you have to, of course. just wanted to leave these comments, so whenever you might feel yore ready for them, they're there... :)

keep on!
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

btw, guys, if you like kamioooka, give it some love here if you want:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365967

seems to slip a bit under the radar...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

g200kg wrote:in the first place, the animation smoothness is depends on host-app (idle process frequency). in my test, Cubase, Cantabile is fast but Savihost is slow.
Find the settings in the registry HKCU\Software\Seib\<your plugin's name>\Settings and add a DWORD value with the name IdleMSecs (default value 50, corresponding to 20 updates per second). You can enter any value here, so be warned - values below 10 might seriously affect the system's performance, and values above 200 will make quite some PlugIns unusable as updates will be too slow.

Other DWORD values you can add:

PercMSecs (default value 750) defines the interval between CPU percentage display updates in the status bar

LevelMSecs (default value 500) defines the interval between updates to the level meter in the status bar.
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

arakula wrote:
g200kg wrote:in the first place, the animation smoothness is depends on host-app (idle process frequency). in my test, Cubase, Cantabile is fast but Savihost is slow.
Find the settings in the registry HKCU\Software\Seib\<your plugin's name>\Settings and add a DWORD value with the name IdleMSecs (default value 50, corresponding to 20 updates per second). You can enter any value here, so be warned - values below 10 might seriously affect the system's performance, and values above 200 will make quite some PlugIns unusable as updates will be too slow.

Other DWORD values you can add:

PercMSecs (default value 750) defines the interval between CPU percentage display updates in the status bar

LevelMSecs (default value 500) defines the interval between updates to the level meter in the status bar.
Thank you for the info :)
In 1.0.2 or later, I already took a countermeasure on the plugin-side that will almost rid of host-app idle freq. but this registry setting may be useful if you still unsatisfied.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”