best eq?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hallo
I'm still looking for a serious professional equalizer to use in the mix,
I mean something with a good sound and low cpu

right now I'm using Bias equalizer which is ok, I like it, it's very light and has a good sound
but I would like to improve the sound

I've tried:
Fabfilter pro-q
Voxengo gliss-eq

i like them both

any suggestion for something that rocks????

DELETED

There is a lot of reasons to choose different eq's...but what exactly do you mean by "improve the sound"?

I know i am kinda beating a dead horse here, but dont believe that another eq will give you considerably better sound-quality. Some eq's are better at specific tasks than others, but if you are looking to generally improve the soundquality of your music, what eq-plugin you use is pretty far down the list of things to consider...

DELETED

What is this Bias equalizer? Did a search in the database, only the company Bias comes up.

If you want to improve the sound, you don't need an EQ, you need Soundgoodizer from Image Line. (Joking :wink: )

DELETED

Well guys, Bias equalizer comes from Bias master suite and it's pretty good
I don't agree that equalizer are all the same
there's a big difference in the sound

Actually I found that until now Fabfilter Pro-Q is the one I prefer
also Sonalksis eq and Oxford eq have a brilliant sound but i don't like so musch the interface
when you make a mixing you need something fast....
Bias is the faster one and has a good sound

well I was looking for something between the easy way to use of Bias plus the quality of Pro-Q

i'll check out all your links

thanks so much

frisbi wrote:Bias is the faster one and has a good sound
You mean the SuperFreq I suppose, at least that's the only Bias EQ I see in this suite, apart from the cloning thing. I don't see how this could have 'a good sound'. It should be as clinical as they come, i.e. - adds or takes NOTHING of its own. For similar clinical eq's maxxxter has provided the best options indeed.

is it true that all Plugin EQs all sound the same ?

i mean obviously not an eq that u boost the midrange and it lowers a little low-midrange at the same time(like a pull-tech EQ).

Would be cool for a Dev to tell me directly
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

I am not a dev...but the answer depends on what you mean by "sound the same".

Yes, all digital eq's that does not saturate or something similar does the exact same thing. They can be adjusted to sound exactly the same with some effort. But that does not really answer the whole question.

The way an interface is laid out, the way the q-knob works and a lot of other aspects affect the way you work with an eq. So no, some eq's will "push" you in a certain direction, others in another. So its a bit of a stretch to say that they sound the same. They can be made to sound the same if you take the time to do it, but the "feel" of it will affect where you go with it and that means a lot in the real world.

Point is that the difference cannot be described as a difference in soundquality.
Its i difference in usability that differs from job to job, and from person to person.

Its like looking at two identical screwdrivers except one is longer than the other, and asking which one is of highest quality. There is no difference in quality, but there can be a huge difference in usability depending on what needs to be done and under which curcumstances.

I don't think there is really such thing as a single perfect EQ for all occasions. Different EQs serve different purposes. There are "character" or "creative" EQs such as the T-RackS Vintage Program EQ, which is a model of the Pultec EQP-1A. This type of EQ is just to give your sound a little more mojo that only vintage tube gear can give. Perhaps make a guitar sit in the mix a bit more organically, or put a little life in a baseline, and most of all, sound like the signal passed through a tangible box of tubes and transformers. What it's not going to do is surgically carve out an annoying frequency. You'll need an EQ for that, too, but the sort of surgical parametric EQ you'd use for that isn't going to impart that hardware mojo.

Personally, I prefer the mojo type of EQ more. It gives each instrument it's own unique space and depth to the mix, which more often than not is what I'm really looking for. It's the kind of thing that came naturally to recording in the analog days, but is lacking in a lot of digital ITB mixes, which tend to be high in sheen, but low on field depth. I try to do my frequency shaping at the source instead. If you start by getting the right tonal balance with mic selection and placement (even if it's the virtual mics in AmpliTube) then you won't need to do any real drastic EQing in the mix in the first place, and instead focus on making your instruments 'pop' instead.

realmarco wrote:is it true that all Plugin EQs all sound the same ?

i mean obviously not an eq that u boost the midrange and it lowers a little low-midrange at the same time(like a pull-tech EQ).

http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=361
esoundz name: Helio

realmarco wrote:is it true that all Plugin EQs all sound the same ?

Did you get hit by a truck or something?
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:I don't think there is really such thing as a single perfect EQ for all occasions. Different EQs serve different purposes. There are "character" or "creative" EQs such as the T-RackS Vintage Program EQ, which is a model of the Pultec EQP-1A. This type of EQ is just to give your sound a little more mojo that only vintage tube gear can give. Perhaps make a guitar sit in the mix a bit more organically, or put a little life in a baseline, and most of all, sound like the signal passed through a tangible box of tubes and transformers. What it's not going to do is surgically carve out an annoying frequency. You'll need an EQ for that, too, but the sort of surgical parametric EQ you'd use for that isn't going to impart that hardware mojo.
That's a perfect description/break down of the Pultec EQ. Great for boosts...not so much for cuts. Which isn't a bad thing it just is what it is...don't use a hammer to screw in a screw 'ya know?

Pultec on bass guitar/kick drum. Acoustic guitar/drum overheads...piano. Vocals even. And of course it works great for it's original purpose...on the "program" channel i.e. master FX channel/mix buss.

I love it because "digital" EQs don't sound great when boosting (too much "edge") but the Pultec emulation does for sure.

Return to “Effects”