MuseOS 2.0

RELATED
PRODUCTS

PhilMuller wrote:If Muse were to continue to upgrade the OS for an out-of-date product beyuond its life cycle like Rev A, B or C, I would be disappointed in their business strategy. The object of the game is to get customers and prospects to buy new products. This goes without saying and is a universal business practice. Yes, we all know we want support for our Receptors, but it is just not profitable or prudent to expect Muse to provide enhanced GUIs etc. for an outdated processor that can't handle the load. It's time to stop beating the dead horse and move on. If you bought a 1965 Mustang, would you still expect Ford to provide updates to it to keep it campatible with today's automotive expectations?
Muse stated that there was a problem upgrading the OS beyond 1.7 on Rev a, b, c units that required more hard drive space to just install it (i can't understand why) and declared there would be a drive swap option for said users to get with the current system version... Then they said they were having problems getting the SATA drives to work with these motherboards (the first few revisions of Receptor used parallel IDE). Then they stopped talking about it. No drive swap available. Just a dead end. So the CPU has nothing to do with it. It's all about software architecture, motherboard behaviors (not that they design the motherboard, but they are still kinda responsible for selecting ones that work throughout) and the willingness (or lack thereof) to support existing users.

Yes, there's an upgrade path: pay about half the cost of a new unit, ship your old one out (how the hell do you ensure you get your plug-ins back as they were in that case??), etc. It's not an elegant solution when the software is really the thing you want to see fixed. For example: the Receptor Remote doesn't work right on Vista 64-bit (you have to manually start the VNC app). That has nothing to do with hardware and everything to do with software and the lack of getting it right. Then there's Uniwire... again, mostly a software thing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Is it any improved beyond 1.7? i have no way of knowing. As is, i'm not impressed with my one experience with Muse and Receptor.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Kevin@MuseResearch wrote:
looneytunes wrote:Hi everyone,

Besides this, there really is nothing new. No support for newer hardware. No support for eLicenser, no support for MIDI plugins, No support for macro controls (eg multiple UI controls affected by single CC messages), no MIDI support for controller learning (a la Apple Mainstage), No support for preset/multi chaining, No support for scalable controllers (eg bounded CC values for assigned CC controllers), No support for CC's to control preset/multi increment/decrement, No support of performances and scenes (as in Attributes showing Scene/Song name, Key, next scene, previous scene), no Midi-Clock values saved as part of a preset, No native arpeggiator/step-sequencer/Midi-file player, ..........
Actually, Kevin, we have some good news for you: there are some substantial new features in the software! Unfortunately I think the press release was lacking in detail. In the interest of clarifying, let me list out some of the new features that the press release didn't mention specifically:

New Hardware: An integral part of this new OS is support for the Receptor VIP hardware. Though I'm not sure if that's what you were hinting at...

Macro Controls: The new MIDI learn system in 2.0 is flexible enough to allow 1 CC to control multiple parameters!

CCs to control preset inc/dec: This has also been added! BONUS: you can assign a CC to inc dec multi banks as well.

I realize there are quite a few on your list that we still haven't implemented... I'll just say this: when the first Receptor interface was released in (1.0) it was missing a lot of the features users have come to know and love today.
Kevin@Muse -

Thanks for the clarifications. I'm very glad to hear that some of these usability features are coming. Most of these would seem to be very low cost (ie. not much impact on UI, or simple extensions to the UI as it exists today). Some of these (midi clock value per preset, elicenser support) have been issues since Receptor OS 1.0, and really should be addressed. In any case, these are the types of features that are useful for performance, and I feel these will be the things that keep the Receptor Host relevant.

I think ndurant previously hinted at some of the problems with the MuseBox interface on Receptor. It isn't really a 'glance at it once to understand what is configured on it' type of interface. Drag and Drop becomes increasingly cumbersome as lists of installed plugins and channels used grow, and scroll off the screen. This interface works well in the MuseBox HW, where the numbers of plugins and channels is very constrained, but not really for Receptor.

I do concede one value to the MuseBox interface - it is the first attempt to bring 'patch tagging' into the UI for a Receptor. IE. now users can attach 'attributes' (ie. 'analog' 'brass' 'Oberheim' 'Pitch EG') to a given Receptor Single, and then do searches based on attributes - to build list of candidate singles. For this particular value, I'm rather skeptical why the current existing interface couldn't have been modified to provide the same feature.

Gripes aside, the important part of evaluating the 'State of all things Receptor' is viewing the change delta. It is slightly positive here, but I would say hardly enough to really warrant a version change from 1.x to 2.0.

Regards,
Kevin L

PhilMuller wrote:If Muse were to continue to upgrade the OS for an out-of-date product beyuond its life cycle like Rev A, B or C, I would be disappointed in their business strategy. The object of the game is to get customers and prospects to buy new products. This goes without saying and is a universal business practice. Yes, we all know we want support for our Receptors, but it is just not profitable or prudent to expect Muse to provide enhanced GUIs etc. for an outdated processor that can't handle the load. It's time to stop beating the dead horse and move on. If you bought a 1965 Mustang, would you still expect Ford to provide updates to it to keep it campatible with today's automotive expectations?
Phil -- perhaps I was not clear. Yes, I have a Rev C Receptor, but I also have a Receptor 2 Pro which I do not consider to be an "out-of-date" product, especially considering the differences between a 2 Pro and a 2+ Pro are not THAT significant. As I stated in my post, given the information I have at my disposal, I don't see why MuseOS2.0 could not be an option for the Receptor 2 Pro (non + version).
Regards,

David O'Hearn

Wow - I think I have to give a 'Meh' to this interface 'improvement'. Sorry to be negative here, but what is really being improved by putting the -MuseBox interface on top of Receptor? My Receptor is already 'easy' enough to use without a (more space consuming, graphical Drag 'n Drop) interface that is more visually cluttered than the original interface.

Besides this, there really is nothing new. No support for newer hardware. No support for eLicenser, no support for MIDI plugins, No support for macro controls (eg multiple UI controls affected by single CC messages), no MIDI support for controller learning (a la Apple Mainstage), No support for preset/multi chaining, No support for scalable controllers (eg bounded CC values for assigned CC controllers), No support for CC's to control preset/multi increment/decrement, No support of performances and scenes (as in Attributes showing Scene/Song name, Key, next scene, previous scene), no Midi-Clock values saved as part of a preset, No native arpeggiator/step-sequencer/Midi-file player, ..........

Really, there is so much that could be added to the SW and interface to make this a very powerful box for performers -- and simply adding D'n'D capability on icons really doesn't improve anything for me.

Humbly disappointed,
Kevin L
Kevin! How can you say that? You beta tested the MuseBox, and you KNOW that MIDI learn is a huge new feature! Its in MuseBox as well - how can you not say we have MIDI support for controller learning???

And there is an entirely new front panel mode that uses the SoundFinder feature that makes it WAY more easy to use! Real Time MIDI monitor, as well!

I know you are a power user, and we completely understand that people like the old interface, which is why we allow you to switch between the two, but I personally think that an entirely new drag and drop interface is actually pretty big news.

AND... it is NOT the end of the features we're working on....

Bryan

Kevin@MuseResearch wrote:

Actually, Kevin, we have some good news for you: there are some substantial new features in the software! Unfortunately I think the press release was lacking in detail. In the interest of clarifying, let me list out some of the new features that the press release didn't mention specifically:

New Hardware: An integral part of this new OS is support for the Receptor VIP hardware. Though I'm not sure if that's what you were hinting at...

Macro Controls: The new MIDI learn system in 2.0 is flexible enough to allow 1 CC to control multiple parameters!

CCs to control preset inc/dec: This has also been added! BONUS: you can assign a CC to inc dec multi banks as well.

I realize there are quite a few on your list that we still haven't implemented... I'll just say this: when the first Receptor interface was released in (1.0) it was missing a lot of the features users have come to know and love today.
And here comes question - is there ANY way to inc/dec presets in older OS by CC? Not to use CCs to control Receptor singles or multis but preset sounds inside instruments. I have not found yet.

Kevin,

Won't "Bank Select" do the job for you? I use the new "Smart Snapshot Multis" and change individual plugin patches within the Multi at will without affecting the Multi.

I was just informed that Muse does not yet have an 2.0 upgrade path for us 1.9 users. :(

Phil

I am a bit confused about the 2.0 upgrade. Will this be made available for Receptor 2 (Pro/Max) models too?

Fedde

fedde wrote:I am a bit confused about the 2.0 upgrade. Will this be made available for Receptor 2 (Pro/Max) models too?

Fedde
Ahhh, you missed my post above. Muse is working on an upgrade for us to go from 1.9 to 2.0. Give them a call and check it out.

I do concede one value to the MuseBox interface - it is the first attempt to bring 'patch tagging' into the UI for a Receptor. IE. now users can attach 'attributes' (ie. 'analog' 'brass' 'Oberheim' 'Pitch EG') to a given Receptor Single, and then do searches based on attributes - to build list of candidate singles. For this particular value, I'm rather skeptical why the current existing interface couldn't have been modified to provide the same feature.
I agree this is a great, useful feature and it really seems like a no-brainer that should be a standard on Receptor. Ive been using the the "Category Search" on my Yamaha Motif ES for years to quickly hunt down sounds. One of the difficult things about having a substantial amount of plugins is that banks and patches become quite cumbersome after a while. Who wants to spend 5 hours searching through thousands of presets for that "Spacey FX" sound? Not me!

I truly hope Receptor 2 owners will be able to implement the OS 2.0 Upgrade. Personally, this will go a long way towards keeping me a loyal Receptor user. :D

dohearn wrote:I also have a Receptor 2 Pro which I do not consider to be an "out-of-date" product, especially considering the differences between a 2 Pro and a 2+ Pro are not THAT significant.
Hi,

Sorry to butt in but can someone tell me what actually are the differences between a 2 Pro and a 2+ Pro?

I saw a 2 Pro Max on eBay and in terms of processor, ram and hard drive it seemed to have identical specs to the current 2+ Pro.

I'm only really interested in sheer speed (i.e. lack of latency), so if there are for instance differences in I/O configuration or whatever but in all respects to do with how fast the thing actually runs a 2 Pro Max is equivalent to a 2+ Pro, I'd be tempted to snaffle one up on eBay.

Cheers,
Tom

So where is 2.0?
It was announced in January, it's now November, and the latest OS available on the support site is still 1.9.
Where is the download for 2.0?

Meestor_X wrote:So where is 2.0?
It was announced in January, it's now November, and the latest OS available on the support site is still 1.9.
I've got it right here...

...next to my Blackberry 10 and iPhone 6.

You want it rushed or really ready? I'd prefer they sort out any major issues via the VIP release, and us 1.9 users get the next major OS2 update.

hopkihc wrote:
Meestor_X wrote:So where is 2.0?
I've got it right here...

...next to my Blackberry 10 and iPhone 6.

You want it rushed or really ready? I'd prefer they sort out any major issues via the VIP release, and us 1.9 users get the next major OS2 update.
Seriously? It was announced coming up on a year ago and still has not been released?
That has to win some kind of award for pre-announcements.

Yes, seriously. :) Marketing promises and engineering schedules rarely agree, and Muse is not a huge company (like MANY MI companies).

That said, I agree it's frustrating to wait on things like tags and that new dynamic set list thing (can't recall the feature name offhand). And enhanced plugin compatibility (e.g. PLAY engine). And better MIDI filtering. And... you get the idea.

Meanwhile, my Receptor makes cool noises, and I'll be happy to get new features after the VIP buyers shake out the first round of issues.

-John

I read the article again and I stand corrected.
The MuseOS 2.0 software is pre-installed and ready to run on the RECEPTOR 2+ PRO and RECEPTOR 2+ PRO MAX hardware.
Looks like Muse 2.0 IS out, but only pre-installed on the 2+. No downloadable version for the Receptor 2, it seems...
(Source)

Return to “Muse Research and Development”