Photographic/musical project about abandoned factories - first video

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A new project, this time involving another person (maybe more in the future), I'll copy-and-paste from the youtube page, hope you'll like it :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNYLNh4 ... e=youtu.be

"In November 2012, photographer Domenico "Sem" Semeraro and I started a project that involves locating and visiting abandoned factories in our area and turn our impressions into photographs and music. He will document what we'll see through a number of photos and I'm going to compose and record a musical piece for each place we will visit. This will eventually become some sort of multimedia experience, and this video by Sem is the first result. Also, all the musical pieces will be collected into a free download album (downloadable from my website, just like all my other works).

Due to lack of funds and interest, these dilapidated buildings are left to decay (with very few notable exceptions) as opposed to being restored and transformed into something useful for the community. Here in Italy we have some of the greatest monuments and art pieces in the world, still a lot (most?) of them are left to the ravages of time and no money is invested to prevent irreparable damage from happening. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that no effort is made to get something useful out of these buildings; yet, I'm struck by the fact that nobody even tries.

A few words from Sem:
"This video portrays a small abandoned factory in Varesotto (the area we live in), one of the many that have unfortunately been forced to shut down by the current tough financial situation. The few that are still active are having a hard time finding enough work to survive. Through this video we want to show the dilapidated condition of this and other similar buildings no useful purpose can be found for. Since most of them were built in small towns that don't have the necessary funds to turn them into something else, they will simply crumble down, slowly but inevitably."

I think his pictures tell the whole story clearly."

AQUILANI - JUVE indeed. I never understood why Liverpool failed to make use of his talents.

I enjoyed this piece. The music reminded me of '80s TD/Schulze. Lots of nice delay and reverb on here. Quite different in style to Silverback. Good mix too.

Good work :)

seismic1 wrote:AQUILANI - JUVE indeed. I never understood why Liverpool failed to make use of his talents.
I wouldn't know - I'm not the typical Italian, I hate soccer - I'm a darts person, as you know :P I'll pass the message to my uncle (the photographer), hopefully he'll understand :wink:
seismic1 wrote:I enjoyed this piece. The music reminded me of '80s TD/Schulze. Lots of nice delay and reverb on here. Quite different in style to Silverback. Good mix too.
Good work :)
Thank you, that's very kind of you :) Yep, Silverback was 80's Italo Disco, this is more Berlin School. Considering the atmosphere of the places, I think the whole album will be more or less in this style (some dark ambient/drone, too, perhaps).
Thanks again! :)

bumpity bump. great piece of artwork, combining the music with the imagery here.

Wow, great work, to the both of you :)

I'll always loved, industrial areas and machines. The very old abandoned ones are very interesting, because you never know what you might find. Great video and music. Hope to see/hear more!

seismic1 wrote:AQUILANI - JUVE indeed. I never understood why Liverpool failed to make use of his talents.
OK, my uncle explained it to me, now I understand ;-)

Thank you mrblitz and abstractcats (cats! How are you? :) ) I hope we'll be able to keep the project going in spite of the winter weather that seems to be here already...

Thanks!

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:abstractcats (cats! How are you? :)
Doing well,thanks :) Sounds like, your keeping busy. Looking forward to more video/music :)

The next excursion is planned for this Friday, we'll see what comes out of it :)

Cool project. Enjoyed the music and the photos (wonderful photos). Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote:Cool project. Enjoyed the music and the photos (wonderful photos). Thanks.
Thank you very much, from both of us :)
I checked the link in your signature, wow! :shock: :-o You take some wondrous pictures yourself!!! And very personal, too!

Thank you.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Music Cafe”