short ambient piece

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

- here's another short ambient piece - hope you like it. As always, any feedback is much appreciated!

http://soundcloud.com/phoenstorm/changed-somewhat

I like it. It has a nice build using different layered sounds, and the slowly picked piano melody has a comtemplative feel. As it stands, this would make a good link piece between longer tracks. How are you using the guitar on here?

Good work :)

Seems to suggest some sort of dream sequence. Nice, but I was left wanting to hear the 'next' bit.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

It's so short! :cry:

But gorgeous, lonely, yearning.

I think seismic1 is right. It would make a good interlude between longer pieces.
Blue Phase Music

Nice going. What was that ambient drone was that a train or something? Keep it up.

Really like this. I think the length is good too. I'm a fan of concise music and like to keep things as short as possible.

Beautiful textures in there. Not sure how I feel about the brutal compression artefacts (manifesting as tiny volume dips). One one hand they fit the scabrous surface of the material very nicely, but on the other I'd quite like to hear what this would sound like with an RMS (as opposed to peak) based compressor keeping things controlled.

Anyway, great work! Had a listen to some of the other stuff on your Soundcloud and really enjoyed it too.

Thank you all for taking the time to listen! It's great to get feedback and discuss these things!

folderol & 4lb Litty: thanks for the kind comments...as for length...these ambient pieces grow slowly, sounddesign and so on...when i try longer pieces i'm tempted to put too much stuff in...on the other hand I tend to get afraid of boring the listener. I haven't come up with something longish that I quite like...but will eventually post here :-)

seismic1, thank you for the comment! as for the guitar.. i realized that was a bit of false advertisement on my part...I planned to use more and then only tiny fragments showed up in the final piece...there's a very short looped sample of an electric guitar going through a tape echo...you can hear it come in and fade out between 0:50 and 1:10. Very much in the background (and playing fifths, so a bit washed out).

-Thanks Doc Brown! That "train" is the (quite loud and aggressive) patter of heavy rain recorded from below an attic window sent through a heavy dose of valhalla room...justified here because the original recording is not something I would use in an ambient piece :)

-cron, thanks! listening to your 'underflow' at the moment, great stuff! - thanks for pointing out the importance of compressor setting...will try out rms...At the moment I'm trying to finish tracks (another reason for the shortness :)) and not focus too much on the technical side...but then that's where i want to improve, so a much appreciated remark of yours.

- have a nice day!

Really lovely. Thank you. I hope to hear more from you soon.
No longer a moderator.

Thanks! I hope i'll be able to put up a few new things soon. Is there a place where I can listen to some more of your work? ...or is the music cafe here the best way to access? - phoenstorm

I look forward to your new stuff.

Right now, here is the only place I post things, so you'd have to poke around the cafe for more by me.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Music Cafe”