VST DEVELOPMENT Xcode 4.5 - Plugin won't load in Host

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all

I have a little (big) problem with the latest Xcode (4.5), OSX 10.8.2 and develop VST Plugins.
Everything seems to work fine, compile without errors.
Except one thing: the compiled plugins won't load in VST Host (Cubase 6).
Had any other developer the same problems with Xcode 4.5? And how did you fixed it?

btw: in the past I was using Xcode 3.0 and OSX 10.5.8 -> everything worked fine...

I'm having no problem with making VST plugins in Xcode 4.5 (also 10.8.2).
Does the plugin at least show up in the list in your host, or is it totally absent? It's a little hard to know what the problem may be with so little info.

Ok. In past I used the templates from "Teragonaudio's" website on Xcode 3.0.
Now as I can see it's little difficult to implement templates on 4.5 so I followed the steps from the site

http://teragonaudio.com/article/Making- ... Xcode.html

Based upon this I tried to make a plugin using the again example source in VST SDK 2.4.
You can download it here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34835008/stereo.zip

I really don't know what's wrong. It should work. Maybe it's simple for a "real" Xcode User.

Maybe someone can take a look at this project and give me some hints for fix?

thanks

EDIT: The plugin isn't in the list of cubase...

Most likely a mismatch of the architecture you build for. Make sure that the host is running in 64 bit if you build a 64 bit plug-in.

Yes. I looked after that. The host is running in 32 bit, so I created all on 32 bit. Nothing changes...

So I worked on a template from steinbergs sdk 2.4. The Plugin load.
BUT: if I ad a GUI, I become many errors.

Like this:

Code: Select all

Semantic Issue Group
/vstsdk2.4/vstgui.sf/vstgui/vstcontrols.cpp:1217:35: Use of undeclared identifier 'QDSwapPort'
/vstsdk2.4/vstgui.sf/vstgui/vstcontrols.cpp:1230:8: Use of undeclared identifier 'QDSwapPort'
/vstsdk2.4/vstgui.sf/vstgui/vstcontrols.cpp:1304:6: Use of undeclared identifier 'QDGlobalToLocalPoint'
/vstsdk2.4/vstgui.sf/vstgui/vstcontrols.cpp:1338:25: Use of undeclared identifier 'QDSwapPort'
/vstsdk2.4/vstgui.sf/vstgui/vstcontrols.cpp:1351:7: Use of undeclared identifier 'QDSwapPort'
/vstsdk2.4/vstgui.sf/vstgui/vstcontrols.cpp:1493:4: Use of undeclared identifier 'GetFNum'
/vstsdk2.4/vstgui.sf/vstgui/vstcontrols.cpp:1539:17: No viable conversion from 'RGBColor *' to 'CColor'
/vstsdk2.4/vstgui.sf/vstgui/vstgui.h:280:8: Candidate constructor (the implicit copy constructor) not viable: no known conversion from 'RGBColor *' to 'const CColor &' for 1st argument; 
/vstsdk2.4/vstgui.sf/vstgui/vstcontrols.cpp:825:42: Passing argument to parameter 'color' here
/vstsdk2.4/vstgui.sf/vstgui/vstcontrols.cpp:1540:3: Use of undeclared identifier 'RGBForeColor'
/vstsdk2.4/vstgui.sf/vstgui/vstcontrols.cpp:1567:3: Use of undeclared identifier 'GetFNum'
/vstsdk2.4/vstgui.sf/vstgui/vstcontrols.cpp:3559:2: Use of undeclared identifier 'GetRegionBounds'
/vstsdk2.4/vstgui.sf/vstgui/vstcontrols.cpp:1307:10: No matching function for call to 'PinRect'
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Headers/MacWindows.h:10483:1: Candidate function not viable: no known conversion from 'Point' to 'const Rect *' for 1st argument; 

I don't know how to get on! Please help :help:

vstgui3.6 won't compile against the 10.7 or 10.8 sdks. You need to get the 10.6sdk, and probably also make sure you are using the latest svn version of vstgui3.6, otherwise use v4

thank you !

So I'm using VstGui 4 now.
And: Errors and issues.

Code: Select all

/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/cview.cpp
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/cview.cpp:661:22: No matching function for call to 'make_pair'
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/macfileselector.mm
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/macfileselector.mm:239:5: 'beginSheetForDirectory:file:types:modalForWindow:modalDelegate:didEndSelector:contextInfo:' is deprecated
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/macfileselector.mm:244:21: 'runModalForDirectory:file:types:' is deprecated
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/macfileselector.mm:255:5: 'beginSheetForDirectory:file:modalForWindow:modalDelegate:didEndSelector:contextInfo:' is deprecated
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/macfileselector.mm:260:21: 'runModalForDirectory:file:' is deprecated
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/carbon/hiviewframe.cpp
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/carbon/hiviewframe.cpp:493:4: Use of undeclared identifier 'GetPortBounds'
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/carbon/hiviewframe.cpp:524:2: Use of undeclared identifier 'GetPortBounds'
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/carbon/hiviewframe.cpp:539:24: Use of undeclared identifier 'QDSwapPort'
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/carbon/hiviewframe.cpp:542:3: Use of undeclared identifier 'QDSwapPort'
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/carbon/hiviewframe.cpp:747:13: Enumeration value 'kError' not handled in switch
/Users/----/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/carbon/hiviewframe.cpp:808:24: Use of undeclared identifier 'NewRgn'
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/carbon/hiviewframe.cpp:822:5: Use of undeclared identifier 'DisposeRgn'
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/carbon/hiviewframe.cpp:1016:17: Use of undeclared identifier 'kQDRegionToRectsMsgParse'
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/carbon/hiviewframe.cpp:1117:37: Use of undeclared identifier 'kQDParseRegionFromTopLeft'
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/carbon/hiviewoptionmenu.cpp
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/carbon/hiviewoptionmenu.cpp:107:17: 'UniqueID' is deprecated: first deprecated in Mac OS X 10.8
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/carbon/hiviewtextedit.cpp
/Users/---/Downloads/samples/vst2.x/mac/lib/platform/mac/carbon/hiviewtextedit.cpp:111:3: Use of undeclared identifier 'GetFNum'

So, I have no idea WHY! Followed all the steps in the documentation from VSTGUI.
Any ideas?

:shock: :cry: :help:

I'm quite sure, as is evidenced by your output, that VSTGUI 4 also needs the 10.6 SDK. If you have Xcode 3 lying around, grab the 10.6 SDK from it and place it inside the Xcode 4 bundle (in /Developer/Platform/MacOSX/Developer/SDKs I think). Then you can choose 10.6 as the base SDK in Xcode 4.5.

Thanks all. Solved the problem.
I don't know how, but it works now with the vstgui.sf from steinberg sdk.
Xcode is strange different to all the other Ide.
Maybe it was really the 10.6 sdk. I'm not sure...

:D

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”