Gibson SG + Fender Tele double neck guitar!

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love the idea. I'd go for a Frank Zappa modified SG, and maybe for fun, a John 5 telecaster...

Looks like someone went ahead and did this. It's exactly the same layout as my mockup, and he's borrowed my mockup image, so I have to believe this was based on my idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-OF-ITS-KIND ... 43cef98896

Looks great! (I wish the SG had a set neck but on the other hand he worked out the issue with the different body thicknesses. My plan for doing it, gluing two of the real guitars together, would have had a very ugly transition on the back due to the different body thicknesses.)

I've sent the seller a message asking him to get in touch with me as I'd like to ask him a bunch of questions, but he hasn't responded yet. Maybe he's afraid I want to sue him or something. I don't. For one thing I already borrowed the designs of Fender and Gibson (who I'd love to see get together to make an official one of these but I doubt that would ever happen). And the whole reason I put this out there was exactly because I was hoping someone would take this idea and run with it.

I just wish I had $400 to spare to order it. (I think the price he's asking is totally reasonable. All the hardware to build two guitars is included. All it's missing is the finish.) He's got 2 more sets left. I do hope he does more after he sells them.

Have you ever owned a double neck before?

I always hated getting to the tuners between the two necks. So I would reverse the Tele headstock.
I can't understand why people keep making them "normal".

Anyway my 2c's

Marc
Grtx, Marc Jacobi.
VST.NET | MIDI.NET

obiwanjacobi wrote:Have you ever owned a double neck before?

I always hated getting to the tuners between the two necks. So I would reverse the Tele headstock.
I can't understand why people keep making them "normal".

Anyway my 2c's

Marc
Nope.

Keep in mind that the SG neck is set at an angle (at least it is ideally, I don't know about this guy's kit with the bolt-on SG neck) and the headstock bends back at an angle too where the Tele side is flat. So you can probably access the Tele tuners from above.

I still haven't heard anything back from either of the two sellers of these kits on eBay. I don't know what to think.

True. I owned a typical SG double neck 12 + 6 string (but from Ibanez) and it was a pain. Don't remember if they were angled necks - but they lined up.

That ebay seller looks like he just slapped on two bolt on necks, without any angle whatsoever...
Grtx, Marc Jacobi.
VST.NET | MIDI.NET

obiwanjacobi wrote:True. I owned a typical SG double neck 12 + 6 string (but from Ibanez) and it was a pain. Don't remember if they were angled necks - but they lined up.

That ebay seller looks like he just slapped on two bolt on necks, without any angle whatsoever...
You can probably achieve it with shimming. IIRC it's only something like 2 or 3 degrees anyway. The SG side will really need it in order to set-up correctly.

I think they did a really good job. Though yes, my original intent would have been for the SG side to have a set neck like usual.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”