What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Alchemy is sluggish and slow for me in preset menu

Official support for: camelaudio.com

Moderator: Camel Audio Mods

ZenPunkHippy
KVRAF

10440 posts since 18 Jun, 2008, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby ZenPunkHippy; Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:46 pm

zrapture wrote:Just when you think the thread may be dying, someone comes along to revive it. I too have been experiencing problems with Alchemy, but was trying to resolve them all on my own. Unfortunately, I've been flailing away with no progress.

The thread is still active as far as I am concerned, just needed time to run tests, which I'm part way through now so I'll post some info.

I was initially excited to find this thread and hoped for a resolution, but it appears that the consensual resolution is: get an SSD.

First, I want to make it absolutely clear that SSD is not the solution to this problem. The OP is using an SSD based system and he is also experiencing slow preset loading in Ableton Live. Savihost is much faster on the same system, so that gives us some useful info to work with.

I get a slow load, but not an intolerably slow load. I sometimes have to wait to load a new preset, but at other times not. I did try repartitioning my drive and moving all Alchemy samples, presets, etc. to their own partition, but I've seen no increase in speed.

In another thread a user posted about a short pause when clicking certain buttons immediately after the GUI is opened. We have identified the problem and hope it is fixed for the v1.50.2 update. We will make a public beta available soon.

The only thing I have noticed -- and it looks like suspicious behavior, not described by the manual, FAQs, etc. -- is apparent occasional rescanning. That is, the progress bar indicates "Scanning", when I have had all things Alchemy in place, with no file changes for days now.

It is unlikely that a scan would be running unless it has been initiated from the menu or triggered by installing new sounds. However, it is possible that a zombie process has been left in memory for some reason - it's really rare, but it can happen. Please try rebooting the system to fix this, and let us know if the problem persists.

If you are being prompted to scan for presets each time a new Alchemy session is started, you can fix this by deleting any files in the following folder:
Code: Select all
Alchemy\Libraries\InstalledPresets\*.csv

Perhaps Andy has something further to add as a follow-up after his weekend testing?

In order to simulate a slower machine I have installed both Win XP and Win 7 to virtual machines running on a regular HDD. The VM has been allocated 4 GB of RAM only and is limited to a single CPU core for one test, and 4 cores for another test. The CPU was set to use 50% of the host machine's CPU.

These conditions should simulate a much slower machine, and since it's using an HDD we can rule out SSD.

In all test cases so far using these VMs Alchemy has been loading presets almost instantly. The only time a short pause occurs is after opening the GUI and clicking on a preset immediately. After the first preset loads the following presets are very quick to load.

Next round of testing is on an AMD system, I will be using a similar setup for this - VMs with limited resources.

Peace,
Andy.
zrapture
KVRer

5 posts since 10 Mar, 2012

Postby zrapture; Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:51 pm

With some embarrassment, I've noticed that I didn't give you much to go on in your troubleshooting efforts.

You asked the OP at the outset for the following information. Here are my [somewhat meager] specs.

1) Have you noticed this since 1.50.0 or 1.50.1? I'm a brand new user, so since 1.50.0.

2) What is your CPU make, model, clock speed? Core2 Duo T6600 @ 2.2GHz

3) Which host and OS are you using? FL Studio 10.0.9c, Windows 8 x64

Additionally, I'm running with 4 GB of RAM on a 5400 RPM/8MB HDD.

It is unlikely that a scan would be running unless it has been initiated from the menu or triggered by installing new sounds. However, it is possible that a zombie process has been left in memory for some reason - it's really rare, but it can happen. Please try rebooting the system to fix this, and let us know if the problem persists.

I've shut it down every night.

If you are being prompted to scan for presets each time a new Alchemy session is started, you can fix this by deleting any files in the following folder:
Alchemy\Libraries\InstalledPresets\*.csv

There is no prompt every time an instance is started; in fact, there is no prompt at all (this excludes the initial scan, of course). I just see the status bar occasionally report Scanning... for no apparent reason. (It may be completely unrelated, but I'm reporting the weird behavior.) I double-checked though, and there are no files at all in the ...\Alchemy\Libraries\InstalledPresets\ folder.

I appreciate your attempts to hunt down our problems and expose them as legitimate bugs or help us smack them down -- we all appreciate you! :)
ZenPunkHippy
KVRAF

Postby ZenPunkHippy; Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:50 am

Hi,

We've now posted a public beta for v1.50.2 - more info in this thread:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5163640

Some beta users have reported the slow preset loading problem is fixed. The GUI should also be opening quicker with this version. Let us know how you get on, thanks.

Peace,
Andy.
Vstream
KVRist

117 posts since 11 Jan, 2009, from Belgium

Postby Vstream; Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:06 am

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
Some beta users have reported the slow preset loading problem is fixed. The GUI should also be opening quicker with this version. Let us know how you get on, thanks.

Peace,
Andy.

Still extremely slow loading times of programs and samples in 1.50.2 beta.
I installed the update on both laptop and PC and loading speed is so sloooow.

After switching back to 1.50.0 loading times are lightning speed again.

Sorry for the bad news,
Joeri Peeters
ZenPunkHippy
KVRAF

Postby ZenPunkHippy; Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:12 am

@ Vstream - thanks for the info. Would you (or anyone else who is experiencing this problem) mind posting a video somewhere. Maybe there is something different you are doing that we are not.

Edit - also the name of the preset(s) you are using for testing. Thanks.

Peace,
Andy.
Vstream
KVRist

Postby Vstream; Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:24 am

ZenPunkHippy wrote:@ Vstream - thanks for the info. Would you (or anyone else who is experiencing this problem) mind posting a video somewhere. Maybe there is something different you are doing that we are not.

Edit - also the name of the preset(s) you are using for testing. Thanks.

Peace,
Andy.

I have uploaded the presets and multisamples in dropbox.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42973736/Polymoog280A_strings.zip

These are the polymoog keyboard 280a strings I sampled and looped a few years ago (The Vox Humana is one of them). Still need to assign some parameters in Alchemy before I upload them for the user library.

In 1.50 they load instantly.
In 1.50.2 it takes about 20 seconds and switching between the programs is slow too.

Maybe this helps finding the reason.

Joeri
ZenPunkHippy
KVRAF

Postby ZenPunkHippy; Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks for the files, I'll check them out now. First test using Mac VST, the presets load close to instantly. The samples are stored on an external USB-2 HDD which quite slow to access, too.

What OS and host are you using? What are you system specs?

Peace,
Andy.
Vstream
KVRist

Postby Vstream; Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:43 am

It's an older PC but still fast enough for my needs.
Processor: Quad core 6600
RAM: 3Gb

I tried several VST hosts, Sonar X2 producer, Flstudio 10, Reaper 4.31, Brainspawn forte 2. All 32Bit and all used vsti's are 32 bit too.
Same result.
My laptop I use for live use is a dell inspiron 11z, 4Gb Ram, dual core SU4100, also W7 64bit using reaper as host MTC slaved to my Roland Fantom X7.
Not the fastest laptop but it's small, stable, and I only use one or two vsti's max at the same time.

EDIT: Send you a PM with link video.

Thanks,
Joeri
zrapture
KVRer

5 posts since 10 Mar, 2012

Postby zrapture; Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm out. I bit the bullet and upgraded my hardware. I'm loading quickly now (but that doesn't discount a problem).

Thanks again, Andy!
ZenPunkHippy
KVRAF

Postby ZenPunkHippy; Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:16 pm

Thanks Vstream for the info + video link, I'll check that out later.

Still not seeing any pattern with the hardware, this seems to affect 32-bit and 64-bit users equally. It does appear that most people experiencing this problem are running a version of Windows rather than OS X. If that is correct, it's a major clue.

I'll install Windows on an older machine sitting here gathering dust, and run some tests.

I bit the bullet and upgraded my hardware.

Enjoy the speed bump :)

Peace,
Andy.
ZenPunkHippy
KVRAF

Postby ZenPunkHippy; Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi,

Anyone experiencing the slow preset loading bug should log in to their support account and download the latest public beta version. The new downloads are labelled:

Alchemy Plugin v1.50.2.3169 - PUBLIC BETA (Mac)

Alchemy Plugin v1.50.2.3175 - PUBLIC BETA (Windows)

The slow preset bug is fixed and scan for new preset times are also improved. Thanks to Vstream and our beta testers for confirming that the loading bug is fixed.

Peace,
Andy.
dune_rave
KVRist

452 posts since 22 Jun, 2006, from Hungary

Postby dune_rave; Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:42 pm

For me, the slow loading is gone! Just browsed through quickly these >4000 pressets in 2 minutes, and the problem disappeared.

However, at the end of the list, when I clicked
"show presets available to buy",
there was an item called "The Rhythms" ...
I selected it in the list, and the logo picture was Dream Voices...
(i have Dream Voices installed hmm. ... it's available to buy?)
MWSOS
KVRian

769 posts since 13 Jun, 2006, from Cornwall, UK

Postby MWSOS; Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:19 am

dune_rave wrote:For me, the slow loading is gone! Just browsed through quickly these >4000 pressets in 2 minutes, and the problem disappeared.

However, at the end of the list, when I clicked
"show presets available to buy",
there was an item called "The Rhythms" ...
I selected it in the list, and the logo picture was Dream Voices...
(i have Dream Voices installed hmm. ... it's available to buy?)

Hi dune_rave!

I know exactly what's happened here. You'll find you already have 'The Rhythms' in your Dream Voices collection, so this one is a duplicate.

Of course you can simply hide this naughty extra preset :smack:

We have already made sure it won't escape into the wild in future builds, but if you'd like to open a Tech Support case with details of your user account I can tell how to manually resolve this fairly easily if it annoys you :wink:

Martin
dune_rave
KVRist

452 posts since 22 Jun, 2006, from Hungary

Postby dune_rave; Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:05 am

Thanx for the quick answer!
I will check this beta deeper and if I find a bug, i will report it!
Alchemy is the BEST!
themossinator
KVRist

234 posts since 12 Sep, 2005

Postby themossinator; Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:03 pm

hi

just wondering.....if i install the beta version will it affect any of current projects that use Alchemy?

thanks
PreviousNext

Moderator: Camel Audio Mods

Return to Camel Audio