zrapture wrote:Just when you think the thread may be dying, someone comes along to revive it. I too have been experiencing problems with Alchemy, but was trying to resolve them all on my own. Unfortunately, I've been flailing away with no progress.
The thread is still active as far as I am concerned, just needed time to run tests, which I'm part way through now so I'll post some info.
I was initially excited to find this thread and hoped for a resolution, but it appears that the consensual resolution is: get an SSD.
First, I want to make it absolutely clear that SSD is not the solution to this problem. The OP is using an SSD based system and he is also experiencing slow preset loading in Ableton Live. Savihost is much faster on the same system, so that gives us some useful info to work with.
I get a slow load, but not an intolerably slow load. I sometimes have to wait to load a new preset, but at other times not. I did try repartitioning my drive and moving all Alchemy samples, presets, etc. to their own partition, but I've seen no increase in speed.
In another thread a user posted about a short pause when clicking certain buttons immediately after the GUI is opened. We have identified the problem and hope it is fixed for the v1.50.2 update. We will make a public beta available soon.
The only thing I have noticed -- and it looks like suspicious behavior, not described by the manual, FAQs, etc. -- is apparent occasional rescanning. That is, the progress bar indicates "Scanning", when I have had all things Alchemy in place, with no file changes for days now.
It is unlikely that a scan would be running unless it has been initiated from the menu or triggered by installing new sounds. However, it is possible that a zombie process has been left in memory for some reason - it's really rare, but it can happen. Please try rebooting the system to fix this, and let us know if the problem persists.
If you are being prompted to scan for presets each time a new Alchemy session is started, you can fix this by deleting any files in the following folder:
- Code: Select all
Perhaps Andy has something further to add as a follow-up after his weekend testing?
In order to simulate a slower machine I have installed both Win XP and Win 7 to virtual machines running on a regular HDD. The VM has been allocated 4 GB of RAM only and is limited to a single CPU core for one test, and 4 cores for another test. The CPU was set to use 50% of the host machine's CPU.
These conditions should simulate a much slower machine, and since it's using an HDD we can rule out SSD.
In all test cases so far using these VMs Alchemy has been loading presets almost instantly. The only time a short pause occurs is after opening the GUI and clicking on a preset immediately. After the first preset loads the following presets are very quick to load.
Next round of testing is on an AMD system, I will be using a similar setup for this - VMs with limited resources.