Suggestions: better preset management and 'multichannel'

Official support for: kuassa.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This pertains to Creme and Amplifikation One as well, but I'm writing from a Vermillion perspective.

One thing that I find a bit lacking is user preset management. It's a bit cumbersome and it took me until recently to realize that even if I just adjusted one preset I should still save/overwrite the 'bank' every time to have all my user presets in one spot (I first thought it just saved the current preset to a new bank, silly me, I know).

I feel at least the plugin should remember where the user bank was saved last time, because sometimes the 'save' dialog dumps me in some very remote places and I have to click my way through to wherever I saved the presets. A 'recent banks' and 'recent presets' menu item would be nice. Also, there seems to be no way to arrange presets. Reflex Pro has the presets in a folder and the folder shows up as a bank in the plugin. That way at least you can manually arrange them in the folder by naming them accordingly (01, 02, 03 etc.). With your plugins I guess I have to manually adjust an existing bank spot to whatever I need at that place?

Also, as a feature I would request that the channels be made true multichannel, i.e. that I can have separate EQ settings on the drive channel in Vermillion and I/II/III in Creme.

I realize that this doesn't exactly emulate the behaviour you would expect from the amp pictured in the GUI if it was real (there's only one set of EQ knobs), but it would be a workaround for the lack of midi preset switching and especially expand the live use possibilities without requiring multiple instances.

LePou has this on his amp plugins and it's relly great. Besides, there's no need to simulate the 'incumbrances' of the real gear too, i.e. that you usually can't hit the drive channel without adjusting the EQ. :D

Creme with three dedicated channels would simply be a monster and Vermillion would be much more versatile Live as well.

Hi Wasi,

Thank you very much for the suggestions.
We've also considered about the presets in a folder. We're still arguing about which folder should the presets be placed, maybe something like "My Document/Kuassa/AmplifikationVermilion/presets" or ...

Do you have any suggestion?

And thank you about the multichannel suggestion, we will discuss about it with the team.

:)

aradaz wrote:Hi Wasi,

Thank you very much for the suggestions.
We've also considered about the presets in a folder. We're still arguing about which folder should the presets be placed, maybe something like "My Document/Kuassa/AmplifikationVermilion/presets" or ...

Do you have any suggestion?

And thank you about the multichannel suggestion, we will discuss about it with the team.

:)
Hi aradaz,

Thanks, that sounds great! As far as I'm concerned, 'MyDocuments/.../ seems to be a place that many developers use. Some put their presets in a folder in '/ProgramData/', I don't know what is better from a developer's perspective. There may be UAC restrictions that I don't know about on /ProgramData/. I guess you have to make sure you allow non-admin write access to the custom folder you create there at install, default is probably read only.

MyDocuments is easy to find for all users but is tied to the user's account. ProgramData strikes me as a more 'tidy' place to put them and presets are available to all user accounts. I'd personally rather have them in ProgramData unless there's a UAC or OS related reason not to. MyDocuments is probably fool proof though because there are no priviledges required beyond being the specified user.

Anywhere except User/AppData/Roaming/ please. :roll:

Found this btw:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cjacks/archive/ ... files.aspx

+1

Where is the factory preset bank located? I'd like to put other banks in the same folder but I can't find it.

The default preset is built into the plugin.
You can download it here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dxkgkoa3w05f ... efault.zip

I would suggest placing all preset data in a sub-folder where the plugin DLL is, then recommend people to have their VST folders outside of Program Files folder (or running their DAW with admin privileges for Windows 7). See u-he products.

EvilDragon wrote:I would suggest placing all preset data in a sub-folder where the plugin DLL is.
That way you can't have the same presets for 64bit and 32bit unless you copy them back and forth. But you could do it like U-He and tell users to name a shortcut "presets.data" (the name of the folder usually holding the presets) in both the 64bit and the 32bit folder and link it to wherever the presets really are. Not very elegant to set up but it certainly works.

Return to “Kuassa”