Studio Devil Virtual Tube Preamp

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Also, there is a weird bug in Ableton Live on my MAC.

After a while, the LED's stop working, you can hear it affect the sound. if I turn the plugin off and on again the LED's start to work again.

I am still using the demo, (but I'm getting tempted more and more :) )

dw

IMO you can't go wrong by giving the user open slather (except save perhaps) for at least 14 days. The more chance it becomes "indispensable" the more chance of a sale. If you must have pesky time-outs then let that be after an initial period where the potential customer can work with it unhindered.

.. and after 14 days of use you could SLOWLY fade in white or pink noise and leave it at -60 to -40dBFS. Then let the user remove and reinsert the plugin for another 10-15 minutes of usage until the noise starts slowly fading in (over a period of 5 minutes or so).

Doesn't really matter how you do it but the current demo is ridiculous. Impossible to use it for several tracks to see how it works on multiple sources.

Anyhow, to anybody who is on the fence: This plugin is extremely good. Buy it!

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

@studiodevil. or anyone else who knows the answer.

If I wanted to have just the saturation, and not add any influence on the bass or treble where would I put bass and treble roll off knobs?

dw

bmanic wrote:.. and after 14 days of use you could SLOWLY fade in white or pink noise and leave it at -60 to -40dBFS. Then let the user remove and reinsert the plugin for another 10-15 minutes of usage until the noise starts slowly fading in (over a period of 5 minutes or so).

Doesn't really matter how you do it but the current demo is ridiculous. Impossible to use it for several tracks to see how it works on multiple sources.

Anyhow, to anybody who is on the fence: This plugin is extremely good. Buy it!

Cheers!
bManic
+1

DW, I think those controls are passive.

@bill.

Thanks, but I just want to know at what setting would they effect the bass and treble the least.

When I load up an instance the bass is all the way to the right, and the treble is not. This gives the bass more pressence to my ears.

I just want to know this.

If I want the saturation, but not to give it more bass or treble, where would I set the bass and treble dials.

-dw

dusted william wrote:@studiodevil. or anyone else who knows the answer.

If I wanted to have just the saturation, and not add any influence on the bass or treble where would I put bass and treble roll off knobs?

dw
The EQ is not passive, nor active in the usual sense...it results from the interaction of capacitors in the simulated preamp. If I was forced to choose, I'd say they were active, since the input impedance is buffered by the tube, before the filtering effects take place.

This preamp is never perfectly flat...although it is very much so across the low to upper high frequencies.

For the flattest response, with least coloring, turn the bass contour up to maximum and the treble rolloff up just a tad below maximum. Then turn down the input drive to almost minimum, and set your level with the output boost, while avoiding red LED clips.
Marc Gallo, Ph.D.
Studio Devil Virtual Tube Amplification
www.studiodevil.com
"Desire Analog...Embrace Digital!"

I am still on the fence for a bit, although I'm quite impressed with this plugin. It has to be the best software preamp I've heard, the colouration is lively and extremely pleasant to listen to. I can definitely see myself using this all over the place...

but it's the season... for 79$, I'd have gotten it already. Not that it isn't worth 99 or 129, but... you know.

Great work, though! :tu:

ariston wrote:I am still on the fence for a bit, although I'm quite impressed with this plugin. It has to be the best software preamp I've heard, the colouration is lively and extremely pleasant to listen to. I can definitely see myself using this all over the place...

but it's the season... for 79$, I'd have gotten it already. Not that it isn't worth 99 or 129, but... you know.

Great work, though! :tu:
I totally agree. for $79.00 I'd have bought a license a couple of days ago :)

It's hard to buy with all these deals popping up all over the place.

dw

Wouldn't it make more sense to leave "Studio Devil" out of the plugin name? Not really a point in having the developer name show up twice. It's already showing up in the menu before it as the developer... then you can fit the "p" in at the end for "Preamp".

Besides I'm sure that it's pretty annoying for anyone that runs more than one plugin by the same developer, and having all of the plugin instances display as the same name since all of the characters don't fit.

It's almost as bad as D16 showing up as "D16 Group Audio Software"... like no one knows that it's audio software, and like their company isn't actually called "D16 Group Audio Software". Would make too much sense to just have stuff show up as "D16 Group" considering that's the name of their company....

Anyway, developers, you spend all of this time dedicating yourselves to making these great plugins. Please use a little bit more thought when deciding how your plugins are going to show up in hosts.
You are currently reading my signature.

I picked this up.

It made almost everything I put it on sound better, ymmv.

I have a new EP to release this month, and this will be all over it.

dw

dusted william wrote:I picked this up.

dw
Yeah... I'm trying to resist it, watching the daily specials over at plugin alliance... but I keep pulling it out and using it on everything, and it just sounds superb. My will is weakening!

dusted william wrote:I picked this up.

dw
We'd love to hear that EP when it's done...send us a link when it's done to some clips! Also, how are you using VTP? on mains, on buses? front end to tracks? which tracks?
Marc Gallo, Ph.D.
Studio Devil Virtual Tube Amplification
www.studiodevil.com
"Desire Analog...Embrace Digital!"

Hi Marc,

How did the 2-stage testing go?

Cheers

Paul

djanthonyw wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to leave "Studio Devil" out of the plugin name? Not really a point in having the developer name show up twice. It's already showing up in the menu before it as the developer... then you can fit the "p" in at the end for "Preamp".

Besides I'm sure that it's pretty annoying for anyone that runs more than one plugin by the same developer, and having all of the plugin instances display as the same name since all of the characters don't fit.

It's almost as bad as D16 showing up as "D16 Group Audio Software"... like no one knows that it's audio software, and like their company isn't actually called "D16 Group Audio Software". Would make too much sense to just have stuff show up as "D16 Group" considering that's the name of their company....

Anyway, developers, you spend all of this time dedicating yourselves to making these great plugins. Please use a little bit more thought when deciding how your plugins are going to show up in hosts.
Much better now!

You are currently reading my signature.

Return to “Effects”