New Android DAW Controller - Now available on Google Play

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone

I just finished writing a new Android app called DAWOSC. It's now available on
Google Play

Here's a basic description of what it is:

It's an Android app that allows you to remotely control your DAW. It uses controllers such as knobs, faders, XY Pads, buttons, etc.

It supports multi-touch. It sends and receives data from your DAW.

I've also created a Windows-based program that allows you to design your own screen layouts. You can create, save and edit as many layouts as you want. The app will hold 6 of these layouts at once. The layout designer program is Windows-only, but the layout files a very easy-to-read text files, so anyone can create a layout if they really wanted to.

For more info, you can go to http://www.dawsound.com

Thanks!

Mark D'Errico
Last edited by mderrico on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Just posting an update...

Beta-testing is now complete and my app is now available on Google Play. It's called "DAWOSC".

Thanks!

Mark

It's f**king ugly:)

bluelife wrote:It's f**king ugly:)

You're f**king rude.

Optical Fingerprint wrote:
bluelife wrote:It's f**king ugly:)

You're f**king rude.
Thank you! :)

No, l just said what i thought. Do you like the way it looks?

Just an FYI...

The point of that screenshot was really to show you that you can apply different colors to various parts of each controller. You can make the whole screen look extremely colorful or you can make it very monotone.

Also, that screen is a a sample layout. You can put whatever controllers you want wherever you want.

bluelife wrote:No, l just said what i thought. Do you like the way it looks?
I wouldn't call it ugly, just simple - looking. :)

There are a lot of elements in the gui that are not perfectly aligned and/or centered :wink:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Nielzie wrote:The "E" square in the top left does not fully align with the other ones on the GUI screenshot :wink:

And there are some other elements that are not perfectly centered.
That's just due to the fact that this is my personal layout for Cubase. I never noticed (or cared really!!) that some of the buttons weren't perfectly lined up. Things like that are easily fixed in the layout editor :)

I still stick to my original post.

mdricco; don't you think if you are presenting something (especially for the frist time) it should look good, even to you, and not just a hashed up example.

It stopped me looking at the functions TBH.
I have bought an app, but am open to others, but not looking like this.

cheers

Hi mderrico,

Thanks for making this system and app.

I like the idea. It seems pretty technical though. I would like to see a template for Virtual DJ for PC.

One question: Once the the templates are installed on the Android app do you need to reload each time using the PC WYSIWYG editor?

Thanks. God Bless.

Aaron

Gosh it's not like we have many alternatives. Control requires knowledge of Java to make templates (and there are some ugly default templates if there ever were), TouchOSC for Android was never updated to even allow custom templates, rendering it practically useless. And even all that aside there's still the headache of getting OSC to actually do something in your DAW. Doing the 'data translation' through PureData is a very 'free and open' way of doing it.

That demo template you show is fine. I'm sure the artistically inclined can balance the colors for a prettier look.

I've only just bought and run it but what I like is that I can simply load a template from the file system out of the app. I wish you could also edit templates like this.

As a recommendation, the blank screen on launch is kind of scary. Maybe have it show "please load a template" in the center or something? Just so we know it's launched and waiting.

Thanks for this, I hope sales pick up a bit. The price is extremely fair, especially considering all the supporting software you get.

Sounds great. But... tried to read in on this and is and does the app send OSC messages to the DAW without the need to have PureData installed? Reaper can parse OSC messages and I would prefer to use that. Will probably buy it anyway and support the developer. :-)

aaroncavanaugh2 wrote:Hi mderrico,

Thanks for making this system and app.

I like the idea. It seems pretty technical though. I would like to see a template for Virtual DJ for PC.

One question: Once the the templates are installed on the Android app do you need to reload each time using the PC WYSIWYG editor?

Thanks. God Bless.

Aaron
Hi Aaron

If I can find time, I'll try to create a DJ template, although I'm not entirely sure what controllers would be ideal for that. I'll figure it out :)

Once the templates are on your Android, you don't need the editor. The app will automatically load the templates that you specify in the app's preferences. You only need the editor when you want to create or modify a template.

Mark

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”