What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

2ndMOUSE - Sparrow Island ( reggae idm dub test )

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

2NDMOUSE
KVRian

790 posts since 12 Oct, 2005, from digging a tunnel under your PC

Postby 2NDMOUSE; Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:21 pm 2ndMOUSE - Sparrow Island ( reggae idm dub test )

Hi
Its been a while

Been working on a new EP called " Sparrow Island " , named after a recent trip to Malta.
This is the title track.
Named after a little outdoor cafe in Baluta bay , that my wife and I affectionately renamed " sparrow island " due to the amount of them on the ground and in the tiny trees as we sat in the sunshine with an early morning coffee and a muffin.

I didnt intentionally set out to make a reggae track , but I always follow the sounds. Wherever they lead me , I will go , as I hate to be confined to any 1 particular genre.
I took a risk in leaving the marimba dual layered lead unquantised , and after playing it , just left it as it was. I felt it gave it a looser feel , more conducive to the reggae style.........or at least my perception of it.

Anyway......this is a test.
I'd really appreciare your input.
Can this be tweaked some more ? Is there anything glaringly obvious that could do with an overhaul ?

http://soundcloud.com/2ndmouse/sparrow-island

Comments / feedback very welcome

Cheers !

2M
polyslax
KVRAF

8036 posts since 11 Dec, 2003, from Canada

Postby polyslax; Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:15 am

Yes, follow the sounds, that's how I go too. :)

Infectious push-pull groove, nice instrumentation and arrangement. I love the big string-y lead. Off the top of my head, I could hear a quick break down with the kit switching to acoustic drums... just a random thought. Interesting trip as always 2M. 8)
Image Image
2NDMOUSE
KVRian

Postby 2NDMOUSE; Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:13 am

Many thanks Poly !
The part after the first silence needs more work , and I agree.....a break , in that second or 2 of silence , would kinda announce the arrival of the next part much better....some kinda reggae rolling break with timbales ( can hear the sound in my head but not sure what its called )
Need to sort out the sidechaining on that part too.
I was kinda worried about the timings in this as there are a lot of things that aren't on point. Any lead that i tried quantizing sounded out of time , so I was manually shifting notes by microseconds to make it fit its own time rules , so im wondering if you noticed any off timing ?
seismic1
KVRAF

6563 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Nice work 2M. This is a change of style, but the melodies are recognisably you. I didn't notice anything wrong with the melody timing. It sounded great. I listened to this a couple of times last night, and once again today. Sounds good. I can hear 4 hits on a timbale or a high-tuned snare with the snare turned off judiciously applied here.

Good work mon 8)
polyslax
KVRAF

8036 posts since 11 Dec, 2003, from Canada

Postby polyslax; Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:08 pm

2NDMOUSE wrote:so im wondering if you noticed any off timing ?

Nope. I'm all about loose here though. Didn't hear anything that I would consider a problem.
Image Image
Frantz
KVRAF

2609 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:09 pm

2NDMOUSE wrote:Is there anything glaringly obvious that could do with an overhaul ?

Yes, I suggest backing off the compression. I think it's too loud and squashed.
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
2NDMOUSE
KVRian

Postby 2NDMOUSE; Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:08 pm

seismic1 wrote:Nice work 2M. This is a change of style, but the melodies are recognisably you. I didn't notice anything wrong with the melody timing. It sounded great. I listened to this a couple of times last night, and once again today. Sounds good. I can hear 4 hits on a timbale or a high-tuned snare with the snare turned off judiciously applied here.

Good work mon 8)

I let the tracks develop their own direction mate , so I never have any preconceived ideas and I never know where they'll end up. Justas much of a surprise for me as everyone else =) I could never confine myself to one style.

Workin on an update =)

Thx for listening
folderol
KVRAF

4303 posts since 5 Aug, 2006, from UK - Here!

Postby folderol; Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:00 am

Very original fun tune, and some surprising but very good changes :tu:
Those strings give the whole thing a slightly ethereal dream-like quality.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was)
2NDMOUSE
KVRian

Postby 2NDMOUSE; Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:44 pm

FrantzM wrote:
2NDMOUSE wrote:Is there anything glaringly obvious that could do with an overhaul ?

Yes, I suggest backing off the compression. I think it's too loud and squashed.

I agree.
I thought it was more noticable in the kinda chorus part.
Did you notice it throughout or just that one part ?
Thanks !
Ive been working on an updated version to address all the fixes.
Frantz
KVRAF

Postby Frantz; Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:04 pm

2NDMOUSE wrote:I agree.

Throughout. I find it fatiguing to listen to. With all these hand played parts, there should be a lot dynamics with some soft moments but everything sounds super loud.
2NDMOUSE
KVRian

Postby 2NDMOUSE; Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:58 pm

FrantzM wrote:
2NDMOUSE wrote:I agree.

Throughout. I find it fatiguing to listen to. With all these hand played parts, there should be a lot dynamics with some soft moments but everything sounds super loud.

Yes. I know what you mean. All the notes have the same amount of emphasis , instead of some loud and some quiet ?
Thanks. I'll see what I can maybe do with it , but the limiters action on the dynamics is first on my list of fixes =)
Frantz
KVRAF

Postby Frantz; Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:10 pm

2NDMOUSE wrote:
Yes. I know what you mean. All the notes have the same amount of emphasis , instead of some loud and some quiet ?
Thanks. I'll see what I can maybe do with it , but the limiters action on the dynamics is first on my list of fixes =)

I do not think it is an issue so much with individual notes. I think the entire mix is too squashed most likely due to a high compression ratio, e.g., 10:1 or more.

You might want to:

1. See if anyone else agrees since I may be overly sensitive to this.
2. Read up on compression, limiting, mastering, etc. before attempting to fix this.
2NDMOUSE
KVRian

Postby 2NDMOUSE; Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:44 am

I have a limiter on the master bus , and then I also have the kick sidechaining the sine bass , and , if my memory is correct , the chords are being sidechained by another cloned kick with its master signal routing muted. I'd say the problem lies therein. Maybe I could subtly automate it between 2 states but anytime ive done that manually before , its introduced phasing.

I do want it to sound squashed together , to an extent , because i love what compression does in reducing the daylight between the various parts and makes a mix sound more connected , but inducing ear fatigue ...........i'll be checking it out.

Btw....I always return feedback with feedback , but i cant find a track by you. Can you link me to one so I can return the favour ?
Thanks !
Frantz
KVRAF

Postby Frantz; Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:21 am

2NDMOUSE wrote:I have a limiter on the master bus , and then I also have the kick sidechaining the sine bass , and , if my memory is correct , the chords are being sidechained by another cloned kick with its master signal routing muted. I'd say the problem lies therein. Maybe I could subtly automate it between 2 states but anytime ive done that manually before , its introduced phasing.

I have a feeling that limiter isn't just preventing occasional clipping but really squashing things. Adjusting the threshold could help. I suspect the sidechaining is not very subtle either.

2NDMOUSE wrote:I do want it to sound squashed together , to an extent , because i love what compression does in reducing the daylight between the various parts and makes a mix sound more connected , but inducing ear fatigue ...........i'll be checking it out.

To achieve this personally I would only add some gentle mix bus compression and be done with it but I realize this is not how dance music is produced.

2NDMOUSE wrote:Btw....I always return feedback with feedback , but i cant find a track by you. Can you link me to one so I can return the favour ?

This is the only track I posted here so far: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366162

I have another track in progress which I think is coming out better but it's not ready yet.
tehlord
KVRAF

6661 posts since 22 Sep, 2008, from Windsor. UK

Postby tehlord; Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:58 am

Very cool track.

It would have easy for this to sound a bit pastiche, but it doesn't at all.

I really dig the combination of dubby bass and dreamy lead.

The only tweak that sprang to mind was perhaps losing some of the beats at that 3 minute mark to let that awesome lead to sing a little, and then drop it back in later.
Next

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe