Tone2 Rayblaster: OUT NOW! (demo version available)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RayBlaster

FrantzM wrote:
MaxSynths wrote: CS-80 Soft Pad MxS
Based on an impulse sampled from a real CS-80.
Nice.
Agreed... Very nice sound...

Gribs wrote: In my opinion Tone2 would be better served by giving its potential buyers the benefit of the doubt, cutting out the BS, and publishing hard technical information.
This is the supposedly "scientific" explanation:

http://www.tone2.com/html/impulse_model ... is__i.html

I doubt it has the level of detail you are looking for.

pdxindy wrote:
FrantzM wrote:
Nice.
Thank you guys :tu:

That's lovely expressive :tu:
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

MaxSynths wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
FrantzM wrote:
Nice.
Thank you guys :tu:
Yep. Beautiful sound there.
Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio : Reason 10

Gribs wrote:
Dr. Gribs, Ph.D. :-o
Hi,

this is Dr.rer.nat. Ingo Weidner, PhD :D
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

re_mute wrote:Yay, yet another piece of Tone2 software that doesn't work with the VST-RTAS wrapper.

How many frelling years is that now of asking them to please, please make a simple fix to their GUIs so I can give them some money?
you are kidding right? The vst rtas adapter is what needs an overhaul.

In fact it doesn't even officially support vst 2.4 plugins.

Hi,

like promised yesterday i created a first package of free waveforms for Rayblaster, this time filter responses of following synths:

FXpansion Strobe, Tone2 Saurus, Korg Polysix (plugin), TAL BassLine, Arturia SEM V, FXpansion Cypher

link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53230726/IW_Fr ... ms%201.zip

The format of the WAV files is: Mono, 16-bit, 44.1 kHz.

Those are single cycle waveforms with the purpose to recreate the filter responses from different synths and different filter types. Some of the Saurus waveforms are included with the factory content.

This includes non-Resonant and Resonant ("Reso" in the name) waveforms, in some cases different versions.
For the Lowpass filters usually a version with full Cutoff and one with lower Cutoff amount is provided (e.g. "25% Cutoff"). For harsh sounds the full Cutoff versions should be OK but for a broader frequency range those with lower Cutoff amounts should be used.
For Saurus there are also waveforms that used the "Soft Reso" knob in it's filter section.

The behavior of the Resonant waveforms depends on several parameters, also found in real analog synths:
- Cutoff (= Formant knob)
- filter key track (left "Key" knob)
- envelope amount and values ("ENV1" knob, envelope 1)
- "harmonic" value which zooms in and out of the waveform
- start phase
- osc window

additional hints:

- you could use e.g. the presets "SaurusRezMorph IW" from the LEad category for testing. This uses a non-Resonant waveform for Wave1 and a resonant one for Wave2 which could be morphed with the Modwheel.

- Another preset that could be used for testing is e.g. "Mini Saw Lead IW" (which is based on a Minimoog waveform from Diva...)

- the "normal" range for the Formant knob should be between -200 and 0 (= middle position". Of course you could use higher values but there the filter response starts to slowly morph into a Bandpass filter.

- for analog lead sounds usually an "Osc window" (drop-down menu below "Wave1") like e.g. "Soft Saw", "Exponential 1" or "Soft Expo" should be the proper choices. For sounds with more high freqquencies "Cosine" should be a good choice.

- Of course you could also try the other osc windows for shaping the waveform further. e.g. "Sinc BP3" could emulate a resonant waveform in some cases and "Comb 4X" could emulate a Comb filter.

- in some case you could get a better low end with changing the "start phase" parameter. With some of the "osc windows" this parameter will be important

- If you should observe clicks or any other strange side effect you could use the "Low Cut" and/or "Damp" knobs to reduce or remove this.

- The "Low Cut" knob is also good if you observe a too big low end.

- those waveforms are usually based on a Sawtooth waveform but you could get different shapes with the "PW sequences":

- "Saw<PW>DbSaw" = Sawtooth to double Saw
- "Square<PW>Peek" = Square to Narrow Pulse
(= "typical" PWM when LFO or envelope used for modulation)
- "Tri<PW>Steps" = Triangle
- "Sino<PW>Square" = sine to Square

I have also added this here:
http://www.tone2.org/forum/index.php?to ... 13#msg6113

Have fun,
Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:23 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

TheoM wrote:
re_mute wrote:Yay, yet another piece of Tone2 software that doesn't work with the VST-RTAS wrapper.

How many frelling years is that now of asking them to please, please make a simple fix to their GUIs so I can give them some money?

Oh, don't get me wrong, FXpansion are too busy blaming everyone else for their software's shitness and milking DCAM for all it's worth to bother updating the wrapper for, what, 6 years now.
But if Tone2 would at least have a dialogue with them then they could, like QuikQuak, have at least tried to get some basic functionality in there; but they wouldn't.

Looks like Sugar Bytes have beaten them to it anyway - http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/TransVST/
"What embecile composed this list :/"

More waveforms for Rayblaster here

The archive include two folders:

1. ElextraX filters (almost all, only the EQ filters has been excluded). The impulses has been sampled using a Saw waveform in Analog mode with the Amp Simulation on with different cutoff levels (see file names).

2. Waves sampled from hardware synths:

- Some analog waveforms from a DIY prototype
- Arp Avatar
- Some Blofeld waves
- CS1-X
- Gakken SX-150
- Korg Z1
- Roland SH-201
- Siel Mono
- Some custom Virus waves

This archive includes also some filter types from Crisalys

Enjoy ;)

^---^
Just added a comment here:
http://www.tone2.org/forum/index.php?topic=1336.0

UPDATE:
I just updated my waveforms (filter responses) with some from Arturia SEM V and FXpansion Cypher. See my link on this page.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

FrantzM wrote:
Gribs wrote: In my opinion Tone2 would be better served by giving its potential buyers the benefit of the doubt, cutting out the BS, and publishing hard technical information.

I read that already and you are correct that it does not provide sufficient technical detail to understand or create a mental diagram of how the synth functions. For example what is the damping parameter? It reduces frequency content but it is not clear to me whether it is implemented as something as simple as a one pole low pass transfer function (like an RC time constant) or as advanced as something like the regularization parameter in an implementation of deconvolution using regularization of semi-norms in some Hilbert space. The two ideas are not dissimilar, but one is significantly more advanced than the other. It is also not clear whether the filter reconstructiion is based on just a single waveform and uses a chosen second waveform as the input to the deconvolution problem or whether the synth uses an assumed input. It is also unknown whether the filter reconstruction is even posed as a deconvolution at all.

I like the sounds that I am hearing from you guys though. That is why I made my post. The synth sounds good to me but I am not satisfied with the presentation of what I would receive for my money.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

re_mute wrote:
TheoM wrote:

Oh, don't get me wrong, FXpansion are too busy blaming everyone else for their software's shitness and milking DCAM for all it's worth to bother updating the wrapper for, what, 6 years now.
But if Tone2 would at least have a dialogue with them then they could, like QuikQuak, have at least tried to get some basic functionality in there; but they wouldn't.

Looks like Sugar Bytes have beaten them to it anyway - http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/TransVST/
hey that's great to see. did you try to see if the tone 2 works with sugar bytes? Good to see other devs not resting on their laurels with adapters

TheoM wrote:
re_mute wrote:
TheoM wrote:

hey that's great to see. did you try to see if the tone 2 works with sugar bytes? Good to see other devs not resting on their laurels with adapters

THey've taken it off of the website but I did email them asking if there was going to be a demo so we could see if stuff like Tone2's synth would work properly at last.

There's more info here:

http://www.440audio.com/en/software/v69 ... -TransVST/

VST to AAX wrapper
TransVST is a plugin wrapper, which transforms VST plugins into AAX Plugins.
With TransVST, you can use VST Plugins in Pro Tools 10 and higher.
TransVST runs as a standalone program which offers a luxurious plugin management and integrates any VST plugin in Pro Tools, so that it can be used as a normal AAX plugin. TransVST is already 64bit compatible and so it's ready for future Pro Tools versions. Furthermore, TransVST supports creative plugin functions like Midi Out, Sidechaining and Multi Outputs.

Features at a glance:
- Multi Output for Effects and Instruments
- Multi Input for Effects (Sidechaining)
- Midi Output
- AudioSuite support
- FXB/FXP Preset Import
- Stereo to Mono
- VST Shell support
- 64bit ready
"What embecile composed this list :/"

Gribs wrote:
FrantzM wrote:

I read that already and you are correct that it does not provide sufficient technical detail...
Yeah, whatever.

Looking at the description, I'd take a wild guess that as they're doing resynthesis and are doing arbitrary filters that it's roughly analogous to the FFT-based synths like Poseidon. The mentions of 'impulses' and better handling of fast-changing waveforms says to me that it's using wavelet transforms rather than Fourier transforms, which makes sense. And I'm surprised no-one has really done it before (other than the Nuklear synth which doesn't really follow the wavelet idea to its logical conclusion).

I claim my €5.

Return to “Instruments”