Windows 7: Hate it.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chokehold wrote:Pressing ALT brings up the menu bar, by going to "Tools" -
Yes, but my mouse does the same thing.
chokehold wrote:That brings back the "normal" menu bar in the Explorer window.
Organize does the same thing.
chokehold wrote:By right-clicking that menu bar, you can then un-lock it and that should theoretically give you the possibility to somehow put a Favorites bar beside it.
Doesn't work (for me at least)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:
chokehold wrote:Just don't click on every f*cking link that might be in an eMail from someone you don't know, offering tits or a bigger penis or "photos from last night" or absurdely high invoices and sh*t like that. Don't download and install "downloaders" or "access programs" for something you shouldn't anyway, and please - stay clear of cracked programs and websites offering them. Don't connect USB drives without virus-scanning them first, even if they're your own; just like coital hygiene - if it you stuck it into something else the last time, make sure it's clean before you stick it into yours.
And you had a go at me about language. Seriously?
Nope.
I had a go at you for using "language" to throw feces at Win 7 because clicking on the digital clock in the task bar showed an analog-style clock and similarly irrelevant things.
Does this analog-style clock harm you or your work in any way?
So why rant about windows for the sake of something as irrelevant as that.

As you will undoubtedly notice when you read my post, I included "language" in the rather lengthy side-note, "OT" if you wish, not the actual reply.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

chokehold wrote:I had a go at you for using "language" to throw feces at Win 7 because clicking on the digital clock in the task bar showed an analog-style clock and similarly irrelevant things.
Does this analog-style clock harm you or your work in any way?
So why rant about windows for the sake of something as irrelevant as that.

As you will undoubtedly notice when you read my post, I included "language" in the rather lengthy side-note, "OT" if you wish, not the actual reply.
I think my issues were with more than just the redundant clock.

Yes it does harm me. It annoys the hell out of me. It's just not needed.

I get equally annoyed when I see a book that has the writing on the spine around the wrong way. Just take a step back and observe, and amend if necessary.

Mushy Mushy wrote:Yes, but my mouse does the same thing. (...) Organize does the same thing.
Sorry, I don't believe in Point&Click for efficient use of a computer.

1) Remembering an icon
2) locating that icon on the screen
3) moving a hand to lead the mouse pointer towards it and then
4) clicking it

is way too distracting and involves too much concentration and movement, and by that steals valuable time from your work day.

If you sit in an office and type a lot, then you'll probably have your thumb near the SPACE bar anyway, so why not move your thumb towards the end of the SPACE bar and press the ALT key that's right beside it.
You can even use the gap between the two keys to feel "when you're there".

No need to distract yourself by thinking, looking around, moving away the mouse pointer (and all again in opposite order to return to what you were doing) and then still have to move a finger.

So do forgive me, should our beliefs collide there, and should I have offended you by campaigning the use of simple key strokes as an alternative to the arduous "mouse/human macro" I described earlier.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

You think you've got it bad? I'm still on XP, but it's locked down tighter than any other company's machines I've ever worked on.

We have zero admin rights with lots of policies that prevent us from editing things, can't transfer files off the PC to other media, Internet locked down tight, very old versions of media player and Internet explorer, and generally can't install anything or run executables.

Luckily KVR still works...for now...

KVR told me "Nested Quotes have reached cataclysmic proportions in your post. Please revise and try again!", so I had to remove the original quotes.
Mushy Mushy wrote:Dont give a toss, I dont use them.
You don't have to.
Doesn't annoy millions or even billions of other users even on other operating systems.
But it annoys you.
Just saying.
Mushy Mushy wrote:Nup, but we're meant to be progressing arent we? If it does the same thing as something 2mm below it, why include it?
Two words: anal phabets.
Oh, and internationalization.
Mushy Mushy wrote:Ridiculously busy. Busiest day of the month for me, and i'm forced to fart around finding sh!t.
Forced to click on a clock ... when it, being a clock, already does what it's supposed to?

I'm sorry I asked this rhetorical question, wasn't nice of, me because I guess it did make things personal which -hard to belive, I know- wasn't my intention.
Mushy Mushy wrote:So did XP. Alt-tab scrolled through all open windows and kept recent ones together to flick back and forward between. 7 has this too obviously so I dont see any benefit whatsover to grouping them.
XP did not group items the way Win7 does.
In XP, ALL opened instances of the same program were displayed in their own discrete taskbar button ... and it was even wider than the Win7 one, because it also displayed the name of the program. What a careless waste of space is that.
If you "grouped" the buttons, it just reduced all the program's buttons into one list, no previews, no visual variation between main window, sub window and dialog, no nothing. Saved space, but 1) the grouped task icon in the task bar still had a name label that took away holy space, and 2) wasn't very efficient.
Mushy Mushy wrote:It's a work PC so I want it business like and functional. I don't need all this fluffy graphics and this See More Info About Person A social media rubbish (granted that is from Outlook)
I already told you how to turn back the clock design-wise.
And the way programs are designed iiiisn't really a contra for Windows itself, is it.

I had to pay for the cup holders, the clock, the ashtray, the glove compartment, the spare wheel, the radio antenna and the back seats in my car - even though I never intend(ed) using them.
Didn't want them, but couldn't have the car without, they just came with it.
Bugs the hell out of me.

Does that make my beautiful shiny Alfa 159 a "POS, FFS"?
No.
(The fact that it's an unreliable Italian car does, but that's beside the point. ;) )
Mushy Mushy wrote:No, havent done that. Will look now. Thx.
Cheers.
Those are the ones that annoyed me most, apart from the one with the resizing windows, so I thought I should mention them.
Mushy Mushy wrote:Yep, as have I. If we're going down that path I started on DOS.
Now we're down it, my first own PC was a C64 ... but this is about Windows 7 being so much worse than XP, isn't it? So DOS or CP/M are not really relevant.
Mushy Mushy wrote:If you read the original post, this is my work PC which died and they rebuilt it with 7. I had no say in the matter.
Then don't despair, tell your boss how you feel about your working conditions.
See how he feels about it, maybe he agrees with you and offers to get an XP license for your machine, they don't cost much.
I'm not pulling your leg.
My boss actually did agree with me when he got me a brand-new notebook that still had Vista running on it, although Win7 was already available. I asked him if he'd really expect me to work with an operating system as sluggish, bug-ridden and instable as Vista ... and he said "no way, thought it had Win7, I'll get you a license right away".
Can't hurt asking.
Mushy Mushy wrote:Outdated? Says who. Are 19th century railroads outdated? No, because they work for the task at hand. This PC uses Outlook and Excel exclusively. XP was perfectly adequate.
Did you notice the past tense in your own sentence?
XP was adequate.
Exactly, but so would Win 3.1 be.
Excel and Outlook worked on that, so why not just use 3.1?
I'm sure it would be a lot more straight-forward than Win7.

Mushy Mushy wrote:So had my work PC rebuilt and it now has Windows 7 :x

First problem: the icons in the taskbar wider than a pregnant hippo.
How can I narrow them? I'm already using "small icons"
Well, you might be trying to think of the task bar as the former quick launch bar. But it's fundamentally not the same. It DOES the same thing if you want it to. You just pin programs to the task bar, just like the old quick launch bar, and you launch them from there. Then, when you open a program, it doesn't take up extra space, unlike XP. The icon stays the same size when you open it, and you can have any number of that particular program or window open, complete with the ability to manage all windows individually from that one icon, along with previews. It's definitely different than what you are used to, but honestly, IMO, it's better. I personally HATED how XP would take up so much space. Far more than Win7 does. It does take some getting used to, but functionally, it IS better. And my icons don't move around at all, so not sure what you're speaking of there? Once you pin them, they stay put.
Mushy Mushy wrote:
jethrobull wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:And how do I turn all this bullsh!t unnecessary animation off.
I'm not watching Madagascar FFS.
Start,right click computer,properties,advanced system settings,advanced tab and performance settings. You turn all fancy resource hogging animation off from there......i love win 7. :lol:
Done. But even that pissed me off :lol:
Why is there a massive f*cking windows logo in the top right corner? :x
I know I'm using windows because I logged into it myself.
Yes, but that's not exactly a huge deal, is it?
Mushy Mushy wrote:I click on the clock and it brings up an analog clock right on top of the digital clock.
Why? Just why ? Do analog clocks show different times to digital ones? :roll:
No, but it does also have the calendar, a more ACCURATE time representation(it displays seconds, where the taskbar clock doesn't), and lets you click to change the date and time settings. But again, not really sure how this is such a big deal. Is it getting in the way of your work somehow?
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Next thing to do:
- Work out how to access my favourites from Windows Explorer instead of only under Internet Explorer as it appears now :x

It's not growing on me in the slightest.
Are you trying to assign FOLDER favorites? Or IE favorites? You can do both. Just drag and drop. If you navigate to a folder you want to favorite, you can drag it to the left pane into your favorites there. If you want to favorite an internet site, then while in IE, drag the site's ICON(not the address, but the little icon to the left in the address bar) out of IE and onto a file browser window into your favorites. Works like a charm.

Brent
My host is better than your host

robojam wrote:You think you've got it bad? I'm still on XP, but it's locked down tighter than any other company's machines I've ever worked on.

We have zero admin rights with lots of policies that prevent us from editing things, can't transfer files off the PC to other media, Internet locked down tight, very old versions of media player and Internet explorer, and generally can't install anything or run executables.
yup, thats pretty much how heavily i cripple the systems I run too.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

koolkeys wrote:Are you trying to assign FOLDER favorites? Or IE favorites? You can do both. Just drag and drop. If you navigate to a folder you want to favorite, you can drag it to the left pane into your favorites there. If you want to favorite an internet site, then while in IE, drag the site's ICON(not the address, but the little icon to the left in the address bar) out of IE and onto a file browser window into your favorites. Works like a charm.
With XP I clicked on favourites and I had both folder favourites and internet favourites there.

90% of my work tasks where initiated via that menu with an equal portion of folder and internet.

Your comment basically means they're now split and I have to remember for each thing whether it's a folder or internet. I then need to open either of the explorers up and choose.

Progress means simplification and this just isnt simpler at all.

I do promise i'm trying to be open minded, but when I hear things like this I revert back to angry boy.

Mushy Mushy wrote:With XP I clicked on favourites and I had both folder favourites and internet favourites there.
Are you talking about using the favorites menu then?

You can do it the way you are wanting. The way I described above was if you wanted to manage your favorites from a Windows Explorer window(you can have both internet and folder favorites in the same place).

If you want to add locations on your computer to your IE favorites, with the favorites bar active in IE, open a Windows Explorer window and navigate to the folder you want to favorite, then click and drag on the icon to the left of the folder location, and drag it onto your IE favorites bar. That also adds it to your favorites menu in IE.

They don't have to be separate at all. You can work with it however you want.

Brent

Mushy Mushy wrote:So had my work PC rebuilt and it now has Windows 7 :x
I totally understand you. My music PC still runs XP and it's fine. My office Notebook has W7.
  • the File Explorer is cumbersome
    the file search function in the edge of the Explorer is crap
    icons in the taskbar are too big / have too much space
    many control settings are hidden in nested or spread menus now
    explorer views (detail, thumb...) change uncontrollable ("it's a feature")
    network access is SLOW (I have a gigabit connected NAS - access with XP on an older computer is 3x faster than on the faster notebook with W7. Have spend hours with network optimization tips, jumbo frames etc.....)
    Shortcuts in File Explorer have changed (like Alt-A A for "refresh window" (in German "Aktualisieren") is now Alt-A N . WHY?)
    making copies of printers in the settings to access different options like the paperfeeds directly from the app is a mess or impossible (W7 "forgets" settings)
    WLAN settings / connect ..... - ... oouuuhhh :cry:
In the try to make things easier for newbies they made everything cumbersome.
:bang:

Windows 8 is definitely a no-go for me.....
ImageImage

Also, if you want to have your IE favorites in your Windows Explorer, just navigate to your user folder(C:\Users\yourusername) and there you will find a folder that contains your IE favorites. Just drag that to the left pane in your Windows Explorer, and you can then click on it to access your up to date IE favorites from that window.

If you want to be able to BROWSE your IE favorites from within the left pane of a Windows Explorer window, then right click on the favorite you just created with your Favorites folder, and select to add to library, or create a new library. Then you can browse through the contents of your favorites from within the left side pane.

Any questions?

Brent

koolkeys wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:With XP I clicked on favourites and I had both folder favourites and internet favourites there.

You can do it the way you are wanting. The way I described above was if you wanted to manage your favorites from a Windows Explorer window(you can have both internet and folder favorites in the same place).

If you want to add locations on your computer to your IE favorites, with the favorites bar active in IE, open a Windows Explorer window and navigate to the folder you want to favorite, then click and drag on the icon to the left of the folder location, and drag it onto your IE favorites bar. That also adds it to your favorites menu in IE.

Brent
Ok sounding better but i'm not convinced.
I have all my favourites now sitting in the IE favourite menu. To have them here by default seems absurd, so I would like them in the Windows favourites.

However, the only windows favourites I see isnt in the menu bar at all, but on the left hand navigation pane. They're also not locked in position, so when I scroll down they disappear from view. If I need to scroll up every time I try to access a favourite i'll be murdering somebody.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
koolkeys wrote:

Brent
Ok sounding better but i'm not convinced.
I have all my favourites now sitting in the IE favourite menu. To have them here by default seems absurd, so I would like them in the Windows favourites.

However, the only windows favourites I see isnt in the menu bar at all, but on the left hand navigation pane. They're also not locked in position, so when I scroll down they disappear from view. If I need to scroll up every time I try to access a favourite i'll be murdering somebody.
Hmmm, not sure what you mean that they are locked in position? My left pane doesn't move at all when I scroll inside a folder. Is that what you're talking about?

Brent

koolkeys wrote:Also, if you want to have your IE favorites in your Windows Explorer, just navigate to your user folder(C:\Users\yourusername) and there you will find a folder that contains your IE favorites. Just drag that to the left pane in your Windows Explorer, and you can then click on it to access your up to date IE favorites from that window.

If you want to be able to BROWSE your IE favorites from within the left pane of a Windows Explorer window, then right click on the favorite you just created with your Favorites folder, and select to add to library, or create a new library. Then you can browse through the contents of your favorites from within the left side pane.

Any questions?

Brent
Brilliant. Done.

But it doesnt lock it in place so I need to scroll to the top to find it.
It's absurd. It's a favourite and it requires me to go hunting for it!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”