Login / Register  0 items | $0.00New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Envelope Followers

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

How often do you use envelope followers for sound design, mixing, etc. ?

Every project
1
8%
Often
5
42%
Never
3
25%
What's an envelope follower?
3
25%
 
Total votes : 12
User avatar
Unaspected
KVRist
 
42 posts since 4 May, 2012

Postby Unaspected; Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:14 pm Envelope Followers

I'd like to get a better idea of people's usage of envelope followers and how important they are in everyone's workflow.

Personally, I probably wouldn't want to mix without them. They are half the fun of mixing, which is why I use them on every mixing project. Envelope followers are also very useful for getting an extra element of life out of guitar amp simulations. They allow for sonic relationships to be created; where sounds react to each other proportionately.

How do you use envelope followers in your work?

If you don't use envelope followers, could you give a reason for this decision.


Thank you for your time. :)
kritikon
KVRAF
 
5066 posts since 23 May, 2002, from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Postby kritikon; Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:03 am

Voted rarely. Although rarely really does mean once in a very blue moon. I just don't see the need for them. If a drum doesn't have a decent transient, then I probably need to pick a better sample that hasn't already been destroyed. If a synth doesn't sound snappy enough, then I need to use a different synth with a faster envelope (one of the real benefits of some analogue synths IMO). And for any other type of synthesised sound, there are envelopes galore already inside the synth. Basically, if I need to snap up my transients, it's most likely because I've already killed them with too much compression etc. So I should dial back on the compression instead of adding another processing layer. Not saying envelope followers don't have uses, but basic mixing can usually sort out what they do. And personally, I'd rather spend time on the mix and its elements than complicating things further with an env follower. :shrug:
User avatar
Unaspected
KVRist
 
42 posts since 4 May, 2012

Postby Unaspected; Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:41 am

kritikon wrote:Voted rarely. Although rarely really does mean once in a very blue moon. I just don't see the need for them. If a drum doesn't have a decent transient, then I probably need to pick a better sample that hasn't already been destroyed. If a synth doesn't sound snappy enough, then I need to use a different synth with a faster envelope (one of the real benefits of some analogue synths IMO). And for any other type of synthesised sound, there are envelopes galore already inside the synth. Basically, if I need to snap up my transients, it's most likely because I've already killed them with too much compression etc. So I should dial back on the compression instead of adding another processing layer. Not saying envelope followers don't have uses, but basic mixing can usually sort out what they do. And personally, I'd rather spend time on the mix and its elements than complicating things further with an env follower. :shrug:


That's interesting. So you mostly view envelope followers as a transient shaping tool, rather than a source of parameter modulation.

Indeed, for the purposes you have listed, I would probably employ a compressor or tweak the envelope controlling the VCA of the synth I am using.

Thank you for contributing. :)
User avatar
Perimeter Sound
KVRian
 
1415 posts since 11 Oct, 2007

Postby Perimeter Sound; Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:04 am

Sorry, I thought this was a thread about my mailman. :wink:
Image
User avatar
Unaspected
KVRist
 
42 posts since 4 May, 2012

Postby Unaspected; Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:29 pm

Perimeter Sound wrote:Sorry, I thought this was a thread about my mailman. :wink:


Hehe. Though maybe he's more of an envelope facilitator.

I'm starting to wonder if I should have posted in the DSP section - or maybe people don't think about envelope followers as much as I expected.
TwoToneshuzz
KVRian
 
1309 posts since 12 Jan, 2010, from Copenhagen

Postby TwoToneshuzz; Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 pm

Envelope Followers are important!

Filterscape by u-he has envelope followers that can be used to modulate the frequence response.

Trash 2 uses envelope followers to form the sound again through modulation of the filters response curve.

I've used Envlope Follwers to control a VCA in Numerology in my homemade wavetable synth. I patched a loop of some modulation waveforms to create my own custome LFO.

I'm sure there are many interesting applications yet to be discoverd with envelope followers.


My first experience with an envelope follower was when using the ensoniq DP4 for it's Wah effect. I suppos envelope followers can be used in getting the talking guitar effect as well.

Yes I love the idea of envelope followers creating modulation values. It makes sense to have modulations follow the level of the incoming signal.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.
seacouch
KVRist
 
88 posts since 29 Mar, 2009

Postby seacouch; Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:05 am

Unaspected wrote:I'd like to get a better idea of people's usage of envelope followers and how important they are in everyone's workflow.

Personally, I probably wouldn't want to mix without them. They are half the fun of mixing, which is why I use them on every mixing project. Envelope followers are also very useful for getting an extra element of life out of guitar amp simulations. They allow for sonic relationships to be created; where sounds react to each other proportionately.

How do you use envelope followers in your work?

If you don't use envelope followers, could you give a reason for this decision.


Thank you for your time. :)



I'm curious to hear how you use them, what tools you use, etc. Thanks!
User avatar
Greg Houston
KVRian
 
521 posts since 28 Jul, 2011, from USA

Postby Greg Houston; Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:17 pm Re: Envelope Followers

FabFilter products have envelope followers including their synth, Twin 2. The only reason I don't use them more is well ... they aren't all that common.
jancivil
KVRAF
 
10434 posts since 20 Oct, 2007

Postby jancivil; Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:48 pm Re: Envelope Followers

occasionally. because.

I mean, with certain filters envelope following gives 'more lively' but oftimes I don't want that.
tanabarbier
KVRist
 
309 posts since 2 Jul, 2012, from Mexico D.F.

Postby tanabarbier; Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:02 pm Re: Envelope Followers

I love using that, but never as a mixing trick, allways as a creative trick, as in having an envelope follower sending info from the snare volume to modulate the pads delay send, or things like that.
To me it should be a part of every DAW, as I use it quite a lot, but actualy is this a comune feature? I use reaper and Usine and both can do it but I allways wondered if it was possible in other DAWs (well of course it is in anything modular, but else?)

Have a good day!

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)