What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

The Future of Synthedit (OSX)

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRist

252 posts since 30 Jan, 2005, from New Zealand

Postby Jeff McClintock; Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:06 pm

xhunaudio wrote:
Jeff McClintock wrote:Hmm, It's says Sonic Birth 2.0 is single-sample based. (SE is block-based). Nonetheless, if you want to support block-based within a sample-based system you can. It would be the same challenge if you wanted to support audio-unit plugins inside sonic birth (which would also be useful).
You can run SE modules in single-sample setups, I have tried it, does increase the CPU though.

Hi Jeff,

so that sample/buffer based difference is not a big 'issue' and a slowed CPU performance should be only in editing mode - then once projects are compiled/exported to the final VST or AU plugin, all is 'converted' to a buffer based form (tell me if I'm correct).

In the case of Sonic Birth, I wouldn't know the details, but in general you can interface a block-based module with a single-sample module.
KVRist

198 posts since 17 Feb, 2010

Postby xhunaudio; Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:46 am

Jeff McClintock wrote:
xhunaudio wrote:
Jeff McClintock wrote:Hmm, It's says Sonic Birth 2.0 is single-sample based. (SE is block-based). Nonetheless, if you want to support block-based within a sample-based system you can. It would be the same challenge if you wanted to support audio-unit plugins inside sonic birth (which would also be useful).
You can run SE modules in single-sample setups, I have tried it, does increase the CPU though.

Hi Jeff,

so that sample/buffer based difference is not a big 'issue' and a slowed CPU performance should be only in editing mode - then once projects are compiled/exported to the final VST or AU plugin, all is 'converted' to a buffer based form (tell me if I'm correct).

In the case of Sonic Birth, I wouldn't know the details, but in general you can interface a block-based module with a single-sample module.

In these days I'm wondering : is it so time-saving and advantageous/favorable/helpful to have two dinstinct developers working on two different projects with a possible [.projects/patches] compatibility/interchange? I'm thinking about the fact that now Synthedit - the final beta - is a very stable IDE, and the idea to restart everything from the ground on or so, with SonicBirth - it scares me a little :) ...

Jeff do you think that some other ways can be taken (like I mentioned above - fundings,etc..)?

Even totally new or simple concepts/ideas/proposals are welcome...
KVRist

198 posts since 17 Feb, 2010

Postby xhunaudio; Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:24 am

I'm wondering also: would a GUI cross-platform version of Synthedit be necessary for the incoming 'WinRT revolution'? By 2020 Microsoft stated almost 100% of Windows software will be natively designed for WinRT, discarding Win32. Then I think that to avoid 'bad surprises' (would .net be discarded by MS itself?) a cross-platform would be welcome (and it would add support for iOS,...). It would be a GREAT added value for Synthedit. I think its diffusion/success would increase exponentially. Its Mac, iOS and native Win8(WinRT) availability would open the door to additional distribution channels for Jeff (iTunes App Store, Microsoft Store).
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Modular Synthesis