Making MuLab More Obvious & Easy

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Easy sidechain. Like in Orion you just put a compressor on the sound you want to get ducked, and then choose source to control the sidechain. And i still don't understand how to setup multiple outputs.
Last edited by BrokenTrance on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Open up session mux (from the session menu). Drag the compressor to the area (or rightclick/add etc). You'll see the compressor having multiple inputs (if it has sidechain). Use the second input as sidechain input. It may seem like a lot of work at first, but it won't take long before it almost happens by itself :) With Mulab's solution you get a great overview this way and you get to route very complex arrengments.
Oh.. and multiple outputs - Do the same here. Drag or add the vst to the session mux. Now you'll see all the outputs. Route them to racks or compressors, whatever you decide. If you want to route a track to something in the session mux you just rightclick the track, click "target module" or similar and then pick it from the list.

There's room for improvement there btw. It could be easier to spot what's what on that list. Maybe by colorcoding. Maybe vst group could include color as well (so all vsti's i add to the "sampler" group will be yellow, all in "reverbs" light blue etc).
:hug:

Cons : Setting it up to record audio is my hangup with the program . It should be more straight forward like a traditional DAW . Deal breaker for me .
Pros : Now Midi and Mux is the programs biggest strong point , its included sampla , synths , reverb is great . Mux is like DDMF meta plugin , Tracktions racks , and other modular environments .

Open up session mux (from the session menu). Drag the compressor to the area (or rightclick/add etc). You'll see the compressor having multiple inputs (if it has sidechain). Use the second input as sidechain input. It may seem like a lot of work at first, but it won't take long before it almost happens by itself With Mulab's solution you get a great overview this way and you get to route very complex arrengments.
Thanks for the answer. I i have tried it before, and got it to work some times when i watched a video in Youtube, but i think this is difficult and could be made easier. :) But it's no big problem, this could be worked around with Sidekick 4 i think.
Oh.. and multiple outputs - Do the same here. Drag or add the vst to the session mux. Now you'll see all the outputs. Route them to racks or compressors, whatever you decide. If you want to route a track to something in the session mux you just rightclick the track, click "target module" or similar and then pick it from the list.
Ok, let's say i have Poise loaded. I have a baskick and it's on output 2 according to Poise. I insert a 4 band equaliser in Mux, all fine. But then the connections i have no idea how to do in Mux. There is no Output 2! Only Audio output 1, Audio send 1-6, Event output 1, Event send 1-6, Audio input 1 and Event input 1.
Last edited by BrokenTrance on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

todd sweetland wrote:Cons : Setting it up to record audio is my hangup with the program . It should be more straight forward like a traditional DAW . Deal breaker for me .
Pros : Now Midi and Mux is the programs biggest strong point , its included sampla , synths , reverb is great . Mux is like DDMF meta plugin , Tracktions racks , and other modular environments .
wow that metaplugin is a contender indeed... pdc too? :o

janamdo wrote:When will there be a Mulab 5 release ?
When it's ready. Software R&D is not always easy to predict. Especially multi-core (i.e. parrallel) programming is not always as easy as it seems. Things are progressing however and hopefully a public test version will be available very soon, may be one of the days. Todo list before public release is almost empty but want to do double-checks and test jams. Stay tuned.

Ok, let's say i have Poise loaded. I have a baskick and it's on output 2 according to Poise. I insert a 4 band equaliser in Mux, all fine. But then the connections i have no idea how to do in Mux. There is no Output 2! Only Audio output 1, Audio send 1-6, Event output 1, Event send 1-6, Audio input 1 and Event input 1.
Anyone?

Opps, sorry, missed that post.

You have Poise loaded in a rack, right? In order to have multiple outputs you have to pull it out of the rack into the Mux. Just drag'n'drop.
A rack stereo (2 channels) only where the first two channels (of poise) goes to the next effect in the rack. What you (can) do is pull out Poise so it has all it's outputs visible and then route these outputs to separate racks.

I got stuck on this myself at first, but now when i got the know-how it's very clear to me. Maybe in the future there could be multi-racks for such vsti's with multiple outputs - ie a longer rack (from left to right) with one rack for each output.

I hope i explained it well enough, otherwise ill try again :)

Crackbaby wrote:Opps, sorry, missed that post.

You have Poise loaded in a rack, right? In order to have multiple outputs you have to pull it out of the rack into the Mux. Just drag'n'drop.
A rack stereo (2 channels) only where the first two channels (of poise) goes to the next effect in the rack. What you (can) do is pull out Poise so it has all it's outputs visible and then route these outputs to separate racks.

I got stuck on this myself at first, but now when i got the know-how it's very clear to me. Maybe in the future there could be multi-racks for such vsti's with multiple outputs - ie a longer rack (from left to right) with one rack for each output.

Thank you very much for your answers Yes i have Poise in a rack :) What i got when i dragged it to the Mux was a new "mini" Poise with an 1+1 and 2+2 and one Event output. I got to say this is confusing 8) But i got the sidechaining now! :)

Edit: Ok, so the 2+2 might be the second output?

It is (i think). With poise you have to edit the name of the .dll for it to have more outputs
"Using Fixed Output Configurations of Poise
Most hosts support VST plugins changing there output configuration. If your host doesn't. You
will need to use the fixed-output version of Poise.
To enable the fixed-output behaviour the "Poise.dll" file needs to be renamed.
● "Poise.dll" - Multi-outputs.
● "Poise 1 Out.dll" - One stereo output.
● "Poise 4 Out.dll" - Four stereo outputs.
● ...
● "Poise 16 Out.dll" - Sixteen stereo outputs."
Mine is called Poise.dll and i only have one stereo out (1+1)
My dog needs a walk, but if it isn't sorted i can rename my poise to see if i'll get 2+2 as well.

Poise is a great sample(playe)r!

Yes it was the second output. Thanks for the help :)

[Edit]

Crackbaby wrote:Opps, sorry, missed that post.

Yes this could maybe be done different in a future version. If i compare to Orion here, you can change the number of outputs easily and the different drum hits is nicely named in the Mixing Desk.
In Mulab now you load a rack with drums, take the drum out of the rack and into the Mux, then route it through the rack again(who have become redundant in a way) inside the Mux, if you want to use that channel for effects. Yes better would be if say you load a vst with 4 outputs in a rack, go to the Mux and it already has 4 outputs there.

If you don't need to route individual outs to other parts of the sesson MUX / rack desk then another way of using multi-out VSTs is: You could also insert a MUX in the rack slot, insert the multi out there, including all sub-mixing you want to do, then the output of that MUX will stream further thru the rack. Eventually you can build a quick front panel for that MUX that includes the most important parameters for that whole mix, may be even a little sub-mixer.

I can insert a MUX in a rack-slot? I think i have missed something then.

Return to “MUTOOLS”