Faust to export SEM for Synthedit ? to Jeff's attention ;-)

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,
take a look here.
http://faust.grame.fr/index.php/online-examples

Faust is a great DSP coding enviroment that can export algorythms in Linux, OSx and Windiows in several formats : VST, VSTi, Csound opcodes, SuperCollider Ugens, Max Msp externals, pd externals.
Wouldn't be great if Faust can export Synthedit's SEMs ?
Maybe Jeff ( if he likes the idea ) could contact Stephane wich is the main Faust developer. I guess that his email contact is on the Faust website.

what do you think about it ?

cool...... :o
ImageImage

WOK wrote:cool...... :o
yeah! a DSP swissknife :shock:

lalo wrote:Wouldn't be great if Faust can export Synthedit's SEMs ?
what do you think about it ?
yeah, Ive thought about this before. Ive had a look at Faust, and basically it uses code templates for the source code files it outputs. You'd probably need to grok Faust's processing model and know what a SEM looks like in order to do it, but a lot of it can probably be gleaned from the existing examples. There are also papers on extending faust for new temmplate types, eg the PD one.
If I remember rightly Faust has two parts/types to its templates, the UI side and the audio side.

If I was going to start, I'd try some basic output from Faust and try and edit it until it worked as a SEM, then see whether that was more easily done with some sort of automatic code modifier, or an entirely new template.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: If I remember rightly Faust has two parts/types to its templates, the UI side and the audio side.
I think for SEM oriented use we only need the audio side and implement UI in SE.

lalo wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote: If I remember rightly Faust has two parts/types to its templates, the UI side and the audio side.
I think for SEM oriented use we only need the audio side and implement UI in SE.
yup, thats what i reckoned.

Of course, to use it, first you need a working Faust. Last time I looked there was still no Windows binary. Strangely there's a graphical front end for faust called Faustworks, for which there is a Windows binary, but still needs a Faust binary to be usable.
Cant remember if theres a proper Windows project for Faust, think its all just makefiles. I did manage to get it compiled in Codeblocks though.

whyterabbyt wrote:Of course, to use it, first you need a working Faust. Last time I looked there was still no Windows binary. Strangely there's a graphical front end for faust called Faustworks, for which there is a Windows binary, but still needs a Faust binary to be usable.
Cant remember if theres a proper Windows project for Faust, think its all just makefiles. I did manage to get it compiled in Codeblocks though.
The online system works quiet well. Just had a quick try with the examples; click at compile-Windows VST and you get a VST .dll within seconds. It also can output C++, so it can't be that hard to put the code for a SEM around that and output it in that format? Would really be interesting!
ImageImage

Interisting idea! Should be doable on the dsp side. The only tricky thing would be sleep mode - especially trickier situations like IIR filters. Has anybody tried out the c++ export option? Any odd dependecies? Easily understandable?

Andrew

WOK wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:Of course, to use it, first you need a working Faust. Last time I looked there was still no Windows binary. Strangely there's a graphical front end for faust called Faustworks, for which there is a Windows binary, but still needs a Faust binary to be usable.
The online system works quiet well.
It does indeed, I'd forgotten that because Id been focussing on getting Faustworks running.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”