What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Splitting a bass into frequencies

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net

Moderator: paulnasca

[ZynAddSubFx]Johannes
KVRist

36 posts since 9 Nov, 2012

Postby [ZynAddSubFx]Johannes; Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:39 pm Splitting a bass into frequencies

Hey,

I want to create my first reese bass (as used in drum&bass, dubstep etc.). Tutorials tell me to use add synthesizer. I should use 3 or 4 oscillators (a.k.a. voices), and then split the output, so I can do some effects on the sounds lower than 150 Hz and some others on the sounds higher than 150 Hz.

Now, I don't know how to do that:
  • How do I tell 4 voices to use the same set of "Insertion Effects"?
  • How do I split the bass, i.e. send each voice to one set of "Insertion Effects" and each voice to another set?
  • Is there a reason why I should use addsynth instead of padsynth?

Thanks for any help. I am even happy if only one point can be answered. :)

Regards,
Johannes
bob bobwood
KVRian

1409 posts since 24 Apr, 2010, from Nottingham

Postby bob bobwood; Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:20 pm

I just got here and it's a little late in the evening. I haven't had zynaddfx set up for a while and never really looked under the bonnet before. So I have the 490alpha version (haven't found where the bank is or how to configure) but not important.

I don't actually know much about it, haven't read anything or any tutorials but just clicked on things to see what happens. If no one else offers more help, try this. It might get you going.

Click on 'Insertion Effects' and select 'Ins. Effect No.' (1, 2, 3, 4)
and set each of them to a part under 'Insert To.'
You can set all the effects you want from there as well.

Then click on 'Panel Window' and tick boxes 1 -4 and select Ch1 on them all.

I use FL and have a pattern playing and first muck about with the volume to get a feel of things, then Close the Panel, then play about with different things.

Amateur attempt to help, I just hope it doesn't hinder you. Might be back tomorrow.
A-Z of Plugins, etc updated September 20th 2014
[ZynAddSubFx]Johannes
KVRist

Postby [ZynAddSubFx]Johannes; Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:14 am

Thanks a lot for this quick help! I have never seen this panel window. Looks like this is exactly what I need. I'll find out if it helps.
[ZynAddSubFx]Johannes
KVRist

Postby [ZynAddSubFx]Johannes; Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:02 am

Hey,

I think I need something More. The way you described it, it only works if Part one and Part two have the same Add Synths. I'd like to use only one AddSynth and then transfer it to two parts. Is this impossible?

Regards,
Johannes
jackoo
KVRist

421 posts since 3 Jul, 2006

Postby jackoo; Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:51 am

Hi. Could you please be more specific about what you are trying to do?

Why don't you build a kit of AddSynths in one part, and adjust the individual FX on each part of the kit? Each part of the kit can have its own EQ.

Do you need multiple audio outputs to process externally, based on the same AddSynth Sound? or..
[ZynAddSubFx]Johannes
KVRist

Postby [ZynAddSubFx]Johannes; Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:03 am

Hi,

yeah, sorry, I should have added more detail into the question. Let's say I have a kit of add synth. So maybe 3 oscillators played simultaneously with additional synthesis.

Now, in the final output, I'd like to hear both played together:
  • this kit sent through a lowpass
  • this kit sent through a highpass

This can be easily done like this:
  • creating one add synth kit for part 1
  • creating the same add synth kit for part 2
  • assigning lowpass to part 1, highpass for part 2
  • redirecting channel 2's output to channel 1 (in the panel video)

This works now, but I have to create the same add synth kit for both part 1 and part 2. I wish I could tell part 2: use the add synth of part 1.

Thanks for any further support.
Johannes

Moderator: paulnasca

Return to ZynAddSubFX