Would you buy a new version of Tracktion if it were released?

Discussion about: tracktion.com

Would you prepay for a new version of Tracktion if it were crowdsourced?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:25 pm

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 112

RELATED
PRODUCTS

valley wrote:If whatever may or may not be in development is to be called Tracktion, then either it'll be a Mackie product, or someone has bought the name from Mackie. Jules can't just decide to release a T4 without Mackie's blessing as they own the rights to the name and IP (including I'd imagine T1's code). Be this a Mackie product, a Jules product, or some currently unknown 3rd party, if it is to be a Tracktion, then Jules will have access to T3's code.
I was wondering if there might be some kind of "use it or lose it" clause in the sale from Jules to Mackie. It might not be a full loss of rights, though. Jules might get the right to the name and development (hence the loss of Mackie from the forum title) but Mackie still gets to bundle it with their hardware.

It's also fun to imagine that a celebrity user like Snoop Dogg or Bootsy Collins bought the rights from Mackie and is having it developed, then brought Jules in later. Or did those guys jump ship years ago?
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

jules wrote:Thanks guys!

Really great that you're all offering support like this, but there's no need to worry about crowd-sourcing or anything like that - all that's required is a little patience until things can be revealed..
Awesome!

(And Tracktion always was awesome.)

A "touch" version of Tracktion would be doubly awesome.

Is it possible to have VST plugins in Windows 8 touch mode?

If Jules is working on a new DAW similar to Tracktion, I'll be interested.
I have always thought that T2 with some improvements from T3 (not the browser and all the loop things), and all the bugs fixed, would have been one of the best music tool ever.
But maybe Jules will come with new ideas and concepts...
Mackie have killed Tracktion because they have launched T3 without fixing the bugs that were in T2 and even T1.

Happy to go to tracktion on my win 7 box full time if it has bugs squashed (pdc on racks/aux sends too), 64 bit and proper multicore, and would pay anything up to around $150 for it.

That's my take.

Best program ever made.

I'll add 'support for xp 32-bit' as a requirement of my commitment to tracktion- although I'd like to move to 64-bit someday.

Jules,

If you ever see this, please, please bring Tracktion back. T3 is useless. It is buggy and crashes all the time no matter what you throw at it and everything loads WAY too slow.

The Tracktion drop and drop method for adding filters (inserts) was one of the most brilliant innovations. I was never as productive as I am with tracktion with the simple design and smoothness for adding filters (inserts). No Presonus S1 is not the same or as intuitive and not a viable substitute. Never was a big fan of the included plugins MDA or whatever alike but the pitch shifter is one of the best around so please don't get rid of that.

Stable multicore support would be great as T2 was incredible but lacking in this particular area. Like everything about and love the streamlined GUI but an additional mix window/screen (makes it easier to balance levels quickly) to be used as an option would also be wonderfully appreciated.

There is obviously demand and huge cult following so please make it happen!

My main gripe with the otherwise wonderful Tracktion was that the volume control on the folders was difficult to use, so I hope that gets fixed.

It would have been good if a folder added an invisible volume control to the end of each track.

Instead it added an invisible volume control after each volume control in the track, which usually messed things up if you had no volume control on the track, or more than one volume control on the track.

It was Mackie, not Jules, who did the folder volume control. Maybe there are situations where Mackie's way is useful, but can't that be optional instead of default?

I've got a feeling Mackie's way aped the way studios worked, but that's what other DAWs do. The whole point of Tracktion was to rethink everything.

I've always thought Tracktion was like a word processor for music, whereas other DAWs are still trying to imitate typewriters.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

P.S. Dear Santa, I'd also love to be able to easily freeze and unfreeze tracks (i.e. bounce them down to audio) at any point in the chain. That would mean you could do fantastic things with limited CPU capacity.

How many sleeps till NAMM?

Sorry, I just had to chime in with a random post. I wasn't a regular forum contributor back in the day but a pretty chronic lurker. I'm probably not alone in heading to Reaper when Tracktion development ground to a shuddering halt. Even so, I still think Tracktion does a lot of things right. I haven't seen anything to match the properties panel and its sheer density of contextual information. The racks were powerful and fun. The signal-flow layout was easy to grasp. The clip editing was fast and intuitive... the groove templates, and, and, and...

What I don't miss? That jumble of different sized widgets in the filter pane, managing sends, managing takes/comps, setting up multi-out VSTs. And though I once believed in the single-screen paradigm, I've come to appreciate a dedicated midi editor and even, gulp, a mixer.

I'm intrigued to see what Jules will announce at NAMM, but he'll really have to pull something out of the bag for me to go back now. Any involvement from Mackie will certainly be a dealbreaker for me, and not only because they turned Tracktion (if temporarily) into abandonware. Some of their hardware/driver support has also left a bitter taste.

Anyway, nuf said. Let's see what turns up.

Much like you i am on Reaper (Been using it since he started it to be honest, I was off T as soon as Mackie dropped the ball)
Problem is now that even though T still has the best interface and UX ever designed in an audio app, time has moved on and the features i would miss from Reaper are unlikely to get added (but heres hoping anyway)
Duh

Return to “Tracktion”