Pulstar - new from Hollow Sun...

Archived support for: hollowsun.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dmbaer wrote:Stephen,

Bought, downloaed and installed Purstar yesterday. All I've got to say is "WOW!!!". What lush, rich sounds are to be found here. This one is a triumph. Nicely done indeed!
:)

Glad you like it.

Cheers,

Stephen

I think Pulstar is one of the best things Hollow Sun have done, and the possibilities are endless with this thing.
Funnily enough, of the several HS things I have bought in the recent past, Vermona really strikes me as the thing that stands out and grabs attention in the mix.
I really like this little gadget, and as a Bowie fanatic there is something DB about many of its sounds, though I'm pretty sure he never used one.
Anyhow, there's plenty of DB potential in Pulstar, too - well done, Stephen, you are turning out some real belters.
I noticed someone else in this thread mentioned that, used properly and stretched to its full potential, you may end up wishing you hadn't spent all that money on Omnisphere or similar. I reckon he is right.
In an age of austerity, Hollow Sun's affordability is almost as incredible as its fantastic instruments!

:D
PT10, SonicCouture, PSP, FabFilter Pro-L, Kontakt5, HollowSun, Cinematique, VSL, Celemony, Absynth5, Battery3, EWQL, IvoryGrand, Arturia, B4II, Omnisphere, Martin D28, Gibson LP, Fender P, Roland XP10, Reaktor5, HideawayStudio, Waldorf PPGW.

Thanks for your very kind comments, Mr Shere. Appreciated. Good to hear that your wife's over your perversion for tranny organs! ;)

And glad you're liking Pulstar.

Cheers,

Stephen

Having gotten around to the documentation, I'm even more impressed with this thing. The interface is elegant simplicity. Very inspired, IMO.

I have a couple of questions about the tone control, though. First, does it keytrack or is is a static EQ curve? Also, suppose you want to audition all the available sounds with minimal coloration. Where do you put the tone control to get its most neutral setting.

dmbaer wrote:Having gotten around to the documentation, I'm even more impressed with this thing. The interface is elegant simplicity. Very inspired, IMO.
8)
dmbaer wrote:I have a couple of questions about the tone control, though. First, does it keytrack or is is a static EQ curve? Also, suppose you want to audition all the available sounds with minimal coloration. Where do you put the tone control to get its most neutral setting.

- It's a static EQ (but don't forget you can assign a MIDI controller to sweep it ... which is fun)

- TONE control to fully counter clockwise for neutral/bypass

Cheers,

Stephen

I got Pulstar today. It's a great instrument!
If you like pads and soundscapes, smooth or complex, you've got them!
It's power seems to me even greater creating multis: to edit and layer patches is pure fun and always pushes me to create more.
Thank You Hollow Sun!!

Thanks. Glad you like it! :)

Cheers,

Stephen

To hollowsun,

This is an exiting product.

Please make more of this kind

Hi Stephen, just wondering from your comments, does Pulstar do everything Nebula does and better?

Also, just had to say thank you for your recent generosity with you know 6 and the sine synth, I wasn't expecting much due to the price tag, but they're great. Can't wait to get all the MLMs.

edit - damn it, just realised I asked a question on a long dead thread. Sigh. No answers coming my way I'm guessing.

Lode_Runner wrote:does Pulstar do everything Nebula does and better?
Pretty much, yes. It's kind of 'Nebulae MkII' or 'Nebulae on steroids' but whereas 'Nebulae' is limited in what you can do with the sounds (superficial tweaking of envelope, tone and simple effects ... but good sounds), 'Pulstar' is quite a fully featured synth. Pads are its forté but a LOT more versatile than 'Nebulae' (as you can hear in the audio demo).
Lode_Runner wrote:Also, just had to say thank you for your recent generosity with you know 6 and the sine synth, I wasn't expecting much due to the price tag, but they're great. Can't wait to get all the MLMs.
:)

Glad you like them. We aim to please!
Lode_Runner wrote:edit - damn it, just realised I asked a question on a long dead thread. Sigh. No answers coming my way I'm guessing.
You guessed wrong! ;)

Cheers,

Stephen

Thanks Stephen. I was actually going to choose Nebulae over Pulstar, but you've changed my mind - I'll get Pulstar instead.

Matt

Stephen - I've downloaded Pulstar and tried to load it into Kontakt 5. Kontakt 5 does not recognize it. Will Pulstar work with Kontakt 5?

Please help! I'm anxious to give it a try.
Studio One Pro, Win 10 64-bit, IntelI7 Quad 32GB, two 2TB internal SSDs in ASUS laptop. RME Babyface Pro. KRK VXT8 Monitors, Avantone Mixcube, Mackie BigKnob, Komplete Kontrol S61, S49, S25, Maschine Jam, Guitars, Mic is CAD Equitek E100S.

have Kontakt5 and also Pulstar and it works without any problems. keep in mind that the HS instruments cannot be added to the library tab with the add function: you have to load the .nki via the browser manually.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

lawajava wrote:Stephen - I've downloaded Pulstar and tried to load it into Kontakt 5. Kontakt 5 does not recognize it. Will Pulstar work with Kontakt 5?
It will work perfectly but because I have not paid Native Instruments the €5 figure sum to have it licensed by them, it cannot be added to the 'Libraries' tab.

But you can load Pulstar and all other HS libraries without restriction in the full version of Kontakt simply by double clicking on the NIKs, dragging the NKIs onto the Kontakt 'rack' or accessing them via the Kontakt browser.

It's not the fault of smaller developers like myself and others that NI have made all this as confusing and as obfuscating as the incredibly over complicated UK tax laws ... if not more so! :?

Cheers,

Stephen

hollowsun wrote:
lawajava wrote:Stephen - I've downloaded Pulstar and tried to load it into Kontakt 5. Kontakt 5 does not recognize it. Will Pulstar work with Kontakt 5?
It will work perfectly but because I have not paid Native Instruments the €5 figure sum to have it licensed by them, it cannot be added to the 'Libraries' tab.

But you can load Pulstar and all other HS libraries without restriction in the full version of Kontakt simply by double clicking on the NIKs, dragging the NKIs onto the Kontakt 'rack' or accessing them via the Kontakt browser.

It's not the fault of smaller developers like myself and others that NI have made all this as confusing and as obfuscating as the incredibly over complicated UK tax laws ... if not more so! :?

Cheers,

Stephen
Hi Lawajava, I think the Kontakt Rack Stephen is referring to is the Quick-Load. It's a very convenient option as it allows you quick access to any libraries you can't add to the browser section. I have it set up so that I don't use the browser at all, and all my instruments are in the Quick Load.

Basically there's a button called 'Quick' located at the top of the Kontakt window, about half way across the page. Press that button, and it will bring up a grey area at the bottom of the window.

Make sure that 'Instr' is selected at the top of the grey area. In Windows set up your screen so that you can see the Kontakt Window and your Windows Explorer Window at the same time. Then click and drag your nki files across to the grey area in Kontakt and drop.

Note, you can set up folders in Quick-Load to keep your nki's organised (eg have a folder for synths, that contains a folder for Pulstar, that contains a folder of presets), and to save time you can click and drag folders filled with nki's into Kontakt in one go.

If you have any nkm files, these can also be added, but you have to click the 'multi' button at the top of the grey area first.

Hope that helps, and doesn't over help :)

Return to “Hollow Sun”